AR Newbie Registered Member

Hi everyone. Some Help for a Newb Please...

Ok so I want to get into the Home Theater club. Well My girlfriend soon to be wife wants a home theater for xmas. She just wants a surrond system when she watches her movies. Since we are getting married and will be living with each other soon whats hers will be mine too

I was thinking of going with out of the box system but after hearing a couple of systems thought I would have to spend over $500 or more to make it worth it. I love deep sounding bass. The deep sounding that rocks your insides and shakes the house. So then I was looking for different compents I could build my own home theater with. But don't want to spend more then $700 for everything at once.

But I got this idea of getting a out of the box system for $200 to $300 then spending almost the same for the sub. Could that work would I be able to connect it and would it be worth it????? I know that most $200 sub would shake the house right?

I was reading some of the other threads on here and saw one not too long ago where someone recommended the cambridge sound works speakers. So my other question would be would it just be better to go with a setup that has been proven like the cambridge sound works
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/...&item=k1m80zzzz

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/...&item=c1s300zzz

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/...r&item=c1mc50ce

for a total of $650.00 but then I still need a sub and reveiver!!!!

Maybe I will just get a reveiver and the M80 for now then just keep adding more speakers as I get more money???

What reveiver would I want to get for the cambridgesoundworks speakers keeping in mind I still have a budget???

Any thoughts or ideas would be great...Thanks, Evan

Forum Regular
    I think the fact that you're still deciding which way to go is good. Yes, buy fronts and a reciever, and maybe a sub and add speakers as money and time allows. Yes, the M80s are an excellent value at only $200/pr and I doubt anything else at that price will be able to touch them. Once you get to $300-$700/pr, you get TONS of options/alternative.

Definately buy in pieces. Don't buy all at once whatever fits in your budget just so you can have a complete system. You'll be kicking yourself in the head in the future because it will be money wasted.

Think of it this way, for now, get the M80s (or something similar) for $200, add a good entry level reciever that will fit the M80s nicely (from Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc) for about $300,and add a decent sub for $300-$400. In total, you'll come to $800, but will have a system that will blow away any of those Home Theater in Box systems for $600-$800. Who knows, maybe someday you'll want to upgrade the fronts. At least you'll have excellent speakers already that can move to surround duty.

Some good reciever options:

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=TXSR501
    http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=TXSR502B

You should look around for specials. I'm quite partial to Marantz and Denon, but that's just from personal experience. For all of the manufacturers listed above, you can find entry level reciever for under $300 that in my opinion will perform better and sound better than comperable Sonys and Pioneers, again from experience.

BTW - MOST $200 subs are junk. I've found the minimum for decent sub is $300, and that's at a special deal. Of course, there are always those exceptional deals, but this is generally speaking. MY brother picked up a Klipsch KSW12 a while back for a special at $300, and it's definately not a junk sub. It's very powerful and is more than enough for most people. It won't hold up against my Velodyne HGS or anything, but still, it's a great sub.

Anyways, in short, take your time, buy piece by piece, and in the end you'll be ahead of the game and won't regret any of your purchases. Let me know if you get the M80s, let me know what you think.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Wow great reply. Thanks for the info. I am going to leave work now since today is my birthday and go to cambridge sound works store to check out the speakers. Just got done printing out the speakers on paper. Not sure which receiver i am going to go with. I'll let you know what I think of the cambridge sound works...Evan

Forum Regular
    Evan, don't know where you live, but it sounds like either Cali or Boston. They have a Outlet store in Newton, MA (maybe one in Cali too?) where you can get some great deals on refurbished recievers. I got my Marantz SR8000 from there a while back for about half of what a new one went for, and I have experienced a big fat goose-egg as the number of problems!

Good luck!

Thread Information