Logitech Harmony 676 remote what do you think?

I am thinking about getting a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote. They are $99.99 at Sams Warehouse. I have read many reviews and it seems to be just what i need to cut out a lot of aggravation. I just thought i would ask here for any comments before purchasing one, Jeff

To see it look at address below....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...15104?n=172282
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Do it. The Harmony remotes are killer. I love my 880.

Forum Regular
    I have a 676 and could not imagine life without it. OK...that may be an overstatement, but it is a fantastic remote.

Thanks for both of the replies. I would just like to verify the if I program it correctly when I want to watch Dvds all that is needed is to press the DVD button, correct? I was wondering if it would turn on my TV and switch the TV to the correct input also. After turning on my receiver would it change it to the DVD input also? Thanks for any comments or information, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I've got the 880, very handy gadget.

The only problem with the harmonys is that logitech could have done better with materials and durability/reliability. You probably won't have any problems, but if you do their support is good.

Forum Regular

I Got the 676 Buy It

I got it new about 2 years ago on Ebay for $125 when it retailed in the stores for $240. I'm sure you can get a better price then the one you quoted- I'd check Ebay & Amazon.com as well as pricegrabber & epinions.com , but if you don't, grab it. I have 2 of them. One for the living room & one for the bedroom- 2 different TV's as its easier for me to have 2 remotes & not bring them from room to room but you can program it to do 2 different TV sets on seperate functions on the top of 1 remote too.

The chances are you will need to call the Harmony support team when you initially set it up & I found them very fast & efficient & they can program your stuff on line. If you use Firefox as your browser, I'd recommend using Internet Explorer for the 676 as the last time I used it, Firefox really wouldn't worn with it, but it may have been fixed since then to use Firefox. Dumb MSN videos usually don't work on Firefox.

In regards to your question, basically each seperate button on top will do a seperate operation like watch TV, DVD, play CDs, etc. Sometimes you need to press the Help button on top of the remote to do things- it will ask a bunch of yes no questions, but it gets things working pretty quickly. Bottom line is, you will not need half a dozen remotes just one remote. Good luck,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Thanks for both of the replies. I would just like to verify the if I program it correctly when I want to watch Dvds all that is needed is to press the DVD button, correct? I was wondering if it would turn on my TV and switch the TV to the correct input also. After turning on my receiver would it change it to the DVD input also? Thanks for any comments or information, Jeff
    Yes, that is exactly the benefit of these remotes. You basically set up several units onto 1 activity button. For example, in my setup, pressing the "watch TV" button turns on the TV, turns on the receiver, sets them both to the proper inputs, and sets all of the remote buttons to operate the Tivo. Hit "watch DVD" and all ionputs change appropriately. Literally 1 button replaces several remotes and countless button clicks.

My opinion...these remotes are a requirement.

On my Mitsubishi tv when you change inputs there is an up and down button to get to the input that you need. I am thinking due to having to go up or down instead of pressing a single button that it may not work when I change from cable to DVD or from DVD to cable. It would have to know where it was last to know what to change to to make it work I would think.

If it was setup where you just push a button and it would go straight to the input I wanted it should work fine but that is not how my TV works. Will this be a problem? Thanks, Jeff

Forum Regular
    Jeff - I would be pretty sure it would work. Call Logitech and give them your model number. Worst case, buy it, program it, and return it if needed.

I called tech support today on Sunday and they were there and told me that it would work so I am going to buy one and find out. I did check on the web and Sams Club seems to have the best price and it is local so I can take it back if I need too. Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jdag
    Jeff - I would be pretty sure it would work. Call Logitech and give them your model number. Worst case, buy it, program it, and return it if needed.

It will work. Worst case is you'll just have to add the 'up channel' button function to the activity. It's cake.

Forum Regular

If I were You I'd Let Them Program Everything

Don't take this personally, but it sounds like you will not be able to effectively program this based on your posts & you'll create more harm then good for yourself. so I'd recommend you write down exactly what you want to do by each function & then call Harmony to program everythng. You can have them fine tune this afterwards. You'll probably disregard my advice & it'll take you hours of frustration to undo.

Edward, just because I am not familiar with this type of remote's capabilities doesn't mean that I am not up to the task. Some of us Southern boys are smarter than than what you might think. After I get it programed I'll let you know if I was up to the task or not! LOL, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Don't take this personally, but it sounds like you will not be able to effectively program this based on your posts & you'll create more harm then good for yourself. so I'd recommend you write down exactly what you want to do by each function & then call Harmony to program everythng. You can have them fine tune this afterwards. You'll probably disregard my advice & it'll take you hours of frustration to undo.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I've got a 676

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I am thinking about getting a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote. They are $99.99 at Sams Warehouse. I have read many reviews and it seems to be just what i need to cut out a lot of aggravation. I just thought i would ask here for any comments before purchasing one, Jeff

To see it look at address below....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...15104?n=172282
    Good Remote. Will handle just about everthing. One button function is worth the price, you'll love it! The 880 has a better display.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I would love to combine my FOUR remotes into one. Are these logitech fancy remotes compatible with everything in my signature below? and the cable box??
    42" Phillips HD Plasma w/ ambilight

Hardman Kardon AVR 240 Reciever

Harman Kardon HKTS 8 6.1 speaker system

Sony HDMI Upscaling DVD Player

XBOX 360

Monster Cables

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thecommish16
    I would love to combine my FOUR remotes into one. Are these logitech fancy remotes compatible with everything in my signature below? and the cable box??
    Don't know about the Xbox 360 (we had trouble getting our 880 to work with the original Xbox but who knows)... but everything else should work.

If you can't manage to program this remote by yourself and have to call tech support to do it for you, give it up. You have the IQ of a potato. Seriously, it's like the simplest thing in the world. Plus it's nice knowing you don't have to call some tech support line whenever you need to make a little change to the remote...AND you learn all kinds of neat little tricks when you do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thecommish16
    No, the Harmony remotes are not compatible with Monster Cables. You'll need to replace all your Monster cables with higher quality cables from WalMart.

But seriously, if the remote is IR then it's compatable. Along with being programmable, Harmony remotes are learning. If your device is not in the database, let the remote learn it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I like my 676...damn it sucks batteries though. mine was a gift for Christmas, so I like it, but I'm not sure I'd have paid full price for it - my receiver's remote does 99% of the same things I use it for -
    I'll never cease to be amazed by how many people cant figure out how to turn on the system and watch a freakin movie using a one-button-does -all device...

[I'll never cease to be amazed by how many people cant figure out how to turn on the system and watch a freakin movie using a one-button-does -all device...[/QUOTE]

I know what your saying.....I'll never cease to be amazed by how many people can't figure out how to turn on the system using several remotes and have to get a all in one remote to watch a freakin movie! LMAO, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I like my 676...damn it sucks batteries though.
    That's one reason I went for the 880....the recharging cradle is the cat's arse.

You might want to look in to rechargeable NiMH batteries. For less than $20 you can get charger and a few sets of batteries so you can have a full set charged and ready to go, and you'll never need to buy another battery for it!

Forum Regular
    Yes it will work for the the xbox 360. Heck they even make a harmony specifically for the xbox 360.

Great remote. check newegg.com the have the 688 for $99 which I believe is better than the 676 for the same price.
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Forum Regular

Sorry I was a Bit Rude Grandpa

I appologize as in retrospect I was unintentionally, unnecessarily rude. I would say though that alot of people, myself included, have trouble with setting this up in the first go due to unfamiliarity & the fastest way is just to have the harmony people do everything. Once you get the hang if it, its real easy. The main thing is don't be afraid to contact Harmony. One thing you'll probably encounter if you have a DVR is for them to initialize "A" & "B" button controls which are save & not save, etc. on the interactive DVR as it won't due this withut programing it to do so. You'll love the product though.

Edward, not a problem, I may find out that your advice was the smarter way to go but I just have to try it myself to see if I can do it. I figure that I will learn a lot more about how it works in the process.
    I do have a DVR thanks for the tip,

I did order the Logitech Harmony 676 remote from Amazon. They had a price on it for $121.95 and dropped it to $89.98 so I ordered one last night. After I get it programed I will let you know how much trouble it was and how well it works, Jeff

$89.99 add 14.49 S&H = $104.98 total

I would just like to thank everyone that replied to my post. I read the reviews but it is always nice to get first hand information.

I decided on the Harmony 676 because it did everything I needed it to do and the price of $89.98 compared to the higher priced models helped in the decision also. I read about the remote eating up batteries and the fact that some of the other models had rechargeable batteries but I think I would rather buy a charger and rechargeable batteries than having to replace the rechargeable one or the charging base if it went bad.

They have already shipped it so I should be getting it in a few days. After I get it I will come back and give you a review on the programming process and how well it works with my system. Thanks again for all the input, Jeff

Thread Information