• 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
    Lensman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryjam282
    Thanks so much Lensman. I appreciate the response as always...Unfortunately, when we tried to do the move of the room this weekend for the Super Bowl party it wasn't a success. The back window posed a bit of a problem, the TV was getting a pretty bad light reflection on it even with the blinds closed. So, I have 2 options that I can really think of. 1.) Tint the back sliding window. 2.) Get a different TV. Would and LCD screen get any kind of reflection off it? That is what I am unsure about. It would be about 12 feet or so from the back window and in direct view of it. Can anyone help on this matter? My wife wanted a new TV anyways so this might be a good way for me to get her to do it. Please help....AGAIN : )

Sorry to hear the lighting caused problems. Of course the "get a new TV" option is always good to hear from the wife. But if the light was still coming from the window (glass door?) through the blinds, it sounds like a set of reasonably heavy curtains might do wonders.

As for LCD TVs, they are somewhat brighter and a little less susceptible to screen glare, but susceptible they still are, so I don't know that would solve the problem as it sounds like the light is pretty bright.

As for placement, I'm a bit confused about your 12 foot dimension. Which room would this be in?
  • 02-08-2005, 04:45 AM
    ryjam282
    I guess blinds could do the trick. And yes, it is coming from the glass door. The dimensions I am talking about are from the family room. The last picture you did for me was of my family room, check your pics on the 2nd page of this thread, I will look into the blinds and the TV's as well. It wouldn't be for at least a few more months before I can go out and drop $3000 on a new TV yano so hopefully we can get all the specifics and questions done here before I get to the new room setup.

I can tell you, when I moved the couches in there they seemed a bit cramped but overall they were OK. So, who knows maybe the wife will want to get some new couches too. Which honestly will be a good idea, as I may be able to get some nice theater style seats in there with her approval : ). So, Lens, can you think of any other obstacles that I may run into in that room? You have the dimensions, do you have any questions?
  • 02-09-2005, 09:25 PM
    Lensman
    Quote:

I guess blinds could do the trick. And yes, it is coming from the glass door. The dimensions I am talking about are from the family room. The last picture you did for me was of my family room, check your pics on the 2nd page of this thread, I will look into the blinds and the TV's as well. It wouldn't be for at least a few more months before I can go out and drop $3000 on a new TV yano so hopefully we can get all the specifics and questions done here before I get to the new room setup.

I can tell you, when I moved the couches in there they seemed a bit cramped but overall they were OK. So, who knows maybe the wife will want to get some new couches too. Which honestly will be a good idea, as I may be able to get some nice theater style seats in there with her approval : ). So, Lens, can you think of any other obstacles that I may run into in that room? You have the dimensions, do you have any questions?

Blinds may work well, though curtains usually are better at blocking light leakage around the edges. You could use both and present your wife with more options for establish room decor. As for the dimensions, I wanted to verify it was the family room as I've been used to applying measurements to wall lengths as opposed to seating distance with the drawings. ;)

I can definitely see two couches being a bit of a squeeze. In fact, that's why I used one couch and two chairs in my original drawings. Theater seats, of course, would be excellent. :)

As for obstacles, there are no major ones I'm aware of. Though there's always some little detail somewhere in the room that can be a pain, I see nothing insurmountable. There is, of course, the matter of running the wiring to all your speakers in some hidden or aesthetic fashion. But there's ALWAYS that. You will also need to experiment with placement to find the best location for the sub.

On the whole though, this room will be much easier to set up and will provide a much better acoustic environment then your other room. The fact that the room has normal features, like windows and entryways, and wasn't built as dedicated HT room when the home was built, precludes perfection of course. But us poor working Joes gotta work with what we got. In this case, what you have is not so bad (I've definitely seen much worse). So I say, "Forward Ho!"
  • 02-09-2005, 09:45 PM
    ryjam282
    Well, it looks like that will be it. Tax money and my yearly bonus will go towards a TV and some new seating for this room. I will do the curtains I believe and hopefully nothing else comes up. I have the wiring all drawn up. This room is carpeted so I will either run it all under the carpet or around the baseboards or the room. Probably sometime next month I will do all of this and keep you in the loop. I am sure I will need help with the actual speaker placement ;) so keep a heads up for this post or I will just email you.

Thanks again.

Ryan
  • 02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
    Lensman
    Quote:

Well, it looks like that will be it. Tax money and my yearly bonus will go towards a TV and some new seating for this room. I will do the curtains I believe and hopefully nothing else comes up. I have the wiring all drawn up. This room is carpeted so I will either run it all under the carpet or around the baseboards or the room. Probably sometime next month I will do all of this and keep you in the loop. I am sure I will need help with the actual speaker placement ;) so keep a heads up for this post or I will just email you.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Glad you have a plan. Let me know if I can help further and don't forget to posts some pics for us when you're done.
    :)
  • 04-25-2005, 12:35 PM
    ryjam282
    Hey, Lensman. I am bumping this thread as I finally got the new furniture and would like a new drawing if possible. What I got is 2 chairs, one is a loveseat and the other is called a chair but it is more of a loveseat with an ottoman.

The Loveseat is 71.5" and the chair is 61.5" and I don't have the dimensions of the Ottoman.

I was thinking of maybe doing them in kind of a V in the center of the room. What do you think? Let me know if you need anything else in terms or measurments. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.