Thread: Lipstick

Forum Regular

Lipstick

Hey guys, long time no speak. but today my brother inlaw asked me what would clean LIPSTICK (2 year old baby running wild) off an lcd screen. He has tried a damp cloth, and damp cloth with a touch of soap and the smear is still there. So I ask the pro's here is there anything on the market that will safely clean an LCD screen? Or any other suggestions would help. Thanks in advanced.
    BTW, His tv is a Sony grand wega (lcd) Thanks again.

I thought this one was going to be about the film with the two Hemingway sisters. Oh well. Sony advises against using thinners or benzene products to clean the screen. Boy, is that helpful. Who in his right mind--or wrong mind, for that matter--is going to reach for the benzene or turpentine to clean an RP LCD screen? Why in heaven's name wouldn't the manual say something about ammoniated agents, which are what most people use to clean their glass, plastic, etc. I've cleaned most screens on RPTVs with the damp cloth and soap suds that you mentioned. Sony packages a cloth with their Grand Wegas. When that strategy has failed, I've used Windex with vinegar, not with ammonia. I'm not sure that ammonia would be harmful, but why risk it? It looks scary when you start to rub it in, but hopeless as it may seem, the residue does eventually disappear--at least it has for me.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply, edtyct, I'll tell him to try that.

Forum Regular
    One of my favorite spot cleaning products is "Goo Gone" by a company called Magic. It's touted to remove chewing gum, grease, tar, asphalt, sticker labels, tape residue, oil, blood, shoe polish, grease, crayon and yes . . . lipstick. It's usable on many surfaces including vinyl and fiberglass. I've used it to remove tape residue from my motorcycle windshield with no ill effects. The label does indicate that it contains petroleum distillates, so I'm not certain it will work on an lcd screen. You should be able to find it in most grocery and hardware stores. Good luck!

Hi,

that's some bum luck! sheesh.

One of the best resources for televisions of all makes and models is
    Home Theater Spot. For anything dealing with televisions...it is the spot to be.

good luck

dan

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll head on over to the spot and see what I can find. As for the googone. I to have used it on some nasty floor tile marks, but I wouldn't dare use that on an LCD screen, far too powerful. Exellent stuff tho.
    Once again thanks!

Thread Information