Should I Leave the Sub On?

I'd like to enjoy my Subwoofer even at low volume level. The problem is that I always have to listen at moderate volume level for the Sub to kick in (Setting: ON @ Auto Power). So at low volume level, I have to set the Auto Power to OFF and manually turn the Power ON every time which is a hassle. So to avoid it, do you think that I should just leave the Sub on for 24/7s (or is there any other solution)?? Would there be any harm leaving its amp on perpetually besides its 150 W of power consumption? Thanks for your input.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by gillsev
    ISo to avoid it, do you think that I should just leave the Sub on for 24/7s (or is there any other solution)?? .
    Depending on the auto-on circuitry you might be able to try this:
    Increase the gain from your a/v receiver if your receiver allows this (and if you are using a receiver). This is done by increasing the volume setting for the subwoofer channel (+ a few dB). Then decrease the volume using the knob on the sub's plate amp to compensate so that the output level would be the same as it was before. You adding a few dB's then taking away a few dB's. But, this strengthens the signal fed to the plate amp, so the amp's auto-on should read it better.

Might be an iterative process to find one that always works.

Would there be any harm leaving its amp on perpetually besides its 150 W of power consumption? Thanks for your input
    Not really, other than the power consumption. Some subs might give a loud POPPING noise when you turn on the rest of your system though. I'd use this as a last resort, but lots of people do it.

Thanks Kexodusc. I will try to read my receiver's manual. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 49TX.

Quote Originally Posted by gillsev
    Thanks Kexodusc. I will try to read my receiver's manual. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 49TX.
    Hey Gill you should have that setting in the AVR setup, I have a older 26TX and it has it. That volume issue can be a hassle, thats why I like my Sub it has a remote for the volume control
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Talking Sub Now On Auto Power

Well, I did it! I increased the Subwoofer channel level on my receiver from -10.0 db (originally) to +4.0 db. I don't know why the MCACC (Multi Channel Accoustic Calibration System) computer automatically configured it to -10.0 db which was the minimum! No wonder I had to turn up the volume just to let the Sub kick in.

Yes, I had to decrease the volume level on the Sub from 10 (full blast) to 6 in order to compensate for the signal level increase. It now kicks in at -33 db on my receiver's volume level instead of -15 db before.

I can now relax in my easy chair and not worry about turning my Sub on or off. Thanks a lot guys!

Thread Information