Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident DVD Reviewer

Let's Do Another One Of These "Demo Disc" Lists....

Which discs do you reach for when you REALLY want to show off your home theater setup and/or which do you consider real DEMO material tracks? Let's try and keep it to PRIMARY go-to titles because before you know it, you'll be listing your entire DVD library; it's easy to begin listing everything you MAY believe to be demo material, but you know what, go ahead and list "backup" titles you consider to be worthy of "demo" quality as well.....

The PRIMARY discs I reach for, which I consider possess absolute STELLAR audio tracks, in my collection are the following (and which I also consider represent the utmost in DVD soundtrack technology capable of really rocking a home theater system); all are in DTS flavor, by the way:

-SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (DreamWorks)
    -THE HAUNTING (DreamWorks)
    -GLADIATOR (DreamWorks/Universal)
    -U571 (Universal)
    -JURASSIC PARK (Universal)

Now, some secondary titles I would consider near-reference grade would, separately, be:

-TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES (Warner Brothers; Dolby Digital)
    -BAD BOYS II (Columbia/TriStar; Dolby Digital)
    -PEARL HARBOR (Touchstone/Buena Vista; DTS)

There may be some others, but the FOUR listed above as PRIMARY discs are the ones that STILL pack wallops through my system --- and you want to experience LFE? Run the DTS ES track on THE HAUNTING if you can find this out of print disc.....the bass on this track will put your system to the test like NO OTHER mix on the market. Make sure your calibration levels are monitored --- ESPECIALLY on your sub --- because this track will crack the drywall in your home once the doors of "Hill House" begin slamming shut.....

What are some of your favorites?

Forum Regular
    I am a big fan of Star Wars Episode I with the podrace scene
    as well as:

Gladiator, the arena scene is UNREAL same with the battle at the beginning "On my mark unleash hell"

I keep Saving Private Ryan (DTS version!) and Toy Story 2 qued up in the changer and always ready for a demo!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282
    I am a big fan of Star Wars Episode I with the podrace scene
    as well as:

Gladiator, the arena scene is UNREAL same with the battle at the beginning "On my mark unleash hell"
    Oh my, are you correct ---- and how about ANY sequence when Crowe is in the Coliseum fighting? These are absolutely drop-dead awesome examples of what DTS can do in a surround system --- the roar of the crowds around you, the deep growling of the tigers that come after him, the bass that rocks your walls when the chariots explode.....

You know, a funny bit of trivia about GLADIATOR and its "SIGNATURE SERIES" DTS DVD; when I first bought my surround system gear, the very first disc I bought was GLADIATOR (at the same upscale store in New York City where I bought my equipment) and I was told by a fellow home theater enthusiast friend who was with me, as well as the salesman that sold me the system, that GLADIATOR is always the "christening" DVD when you buy a surround system and should be, in a religious way, the FIRST disc a serious home theater enthusiast should buy --- of couse, this was said in a lighthearted manner, but I still believe GLADIATOR should be the first disc someone demos when doing a surround system for the first time; it IS kind of a religious thing to me! LOL.

Even with time and plenty of discs which have come and gone since the time of GLADIATOR, this DVD's DTS ES track is STILL one of the best examples of multichannel audio on the market, hands down. The mix is loud, rich and clean. However, this SIGNATURE SERIES of the DVD with this DTS ES mix, like THE HAUNTING, is now a rare item to find and I believe has been discontinued because of an EXTENDED version of GLADIATOR that is coming out or is out now.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I keep Saving Private Ryan (DTS version!) and Toy Story 2 qued up in the changer and always ready for a demo!
    SAVING PRIVATE RYAN is voted, year after year, in magazines like Home Theater and DVD ETC, as the best DVD ever made, audio-wise, in DTS flavor. That opening Omaha Beach scene has NO competitors in the home theater world, hands down. MAN, does this scene pack a wallop.....if your system is up high enough you will feel like you are RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of that battle.....AWESOME job by DreamWorks on this disc, as you agree.

BUT, like so many other great titles out there, the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN DTS version I believe has gone out of print and to buy any other version of this DVD is a waste of time and money because the Dolby Digital track CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE to the DTS mix for this film --- recently, DreamWorks released some Commemorative Edition of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, in a mockup package that looked like a World War II bullet cannister, but this package actually DROPPED the awesome DTS track. What is DreamWorks thinking? Universal did the same thing with this new version of APOLLO 13, where this deluxe edition that just came out dropped the famous DTS track for this film, so whats the point?

Im glad I found SAVING PRIVATE RYAN in DTS when I did.

Star Wars E1, The pod race
    Jurasic park III, all of it!
    Twister, most of it
    The 5th Element, most of it
    Genesis: Live At Wembley Stadium, the drum duet
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Star Wars E1, The pod race
    Jurasic park III, all of it!
    Twister, most of it
    The 5th Element, most of it
    Genesis: Live At Wembley Stadium, the drum duet
    These are great selections, Michael, no doubt.....personally, I enjoy Episode II better (the bass packs WALLOPS of LFE in certain scenes) than 1 (but the pod race IS awesome), and I enjoy the original Jurassic Park just for the story --- but I have heard such great things about JURASSIC PARK III and its sound mix that I may just have to buy or rent it and check it out......does it have DTS?

Twister is in my collection and is one of those VERY RARE DTS discs from Warner Brothers; the mix is very enveloping, although not the most breathtaking DTS track you will hear --- but, when the tornadoes begin whipping around you, the rear channels do open up and let you into those scenes quite nicely.

Great list! Thanks for the input!

Forum Regular
    I watched Incredibles a few weekends ago and I think that is my new favorite- the chase scene toward the end is the best!

I also enjoy Saving Private Ryan and U571. I haven't seen Toy Story 2, but heard great things about it. Blackhawk Down has some good tracks, too!

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    I watched Incredibles a few weekends ago and I think that is my new favorite- the chase scene toward the end is the best!

I also enjoy Saving Private Ryan and U571. I haven't seen Toy Story 2, but heard great things about it. Blackhawk Down has some good tracks, too!
    Oh yes, Eric, I agree about BLACK HAWK DOWN --- I forgot to mention that on my list.....BLACK HAWK DOWN in Superbit format, has one KICK ASS DTS mix --- and it is WAY WORTH the upgrade from the Dolby Digital version.

But I only recommend the SUPERBIT version of BLACK HAWK DOWN; this is the clearly superior version of the film. Bitrate numbers have definitely been bumped up on this version and its very noticeable; bullets, explosions and dialogue all sound cleaner on the DTS mix.

Yes, J3 is in DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    These are great selections, Michael, no doubt.....personally, I enjoy Episode II better (the bass packs WALLOPS of LFE in certain scenes) than 1 (but the pod race IS awesome), and I enjoy the original Jurassic Park just for the story --- but I have heard such great things about JURASSIC PARK III and its sound mix that I may just have to buy or rent it and check it out......does it have DTS?

Twister is in my collection and is one of those VERY RARE DTS discs from Warner Brothers; the mix is very enveloping, although not the most breathtaking DTS track you will hear --- but, when the tornadoes begin whipping around you, the rear channels do open up and let you into those scenes quite nicely.

Great list! Thanks for the input!
    Here is a cool link for finding DVD's on DTS. J3 is on page 2. After you go through these, try changing the search terms in the upper left box. There are tons on DD. Plenty of music too. It's just a matter of playing around with the search terms. I tried "live DTS" and found a lot of cool DVD's. Try it, you'll see.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I have seen this list through my DTS press contacts when I was working for Home Theater Magazine on a fulltime basis, but havent looked at it in a long time....thanks for the info and the link; I'll re-check it.....how does the Jurassic Park III DTS track sound? Its it really deep and loud with tons of LFE? THATS what I would love to hear!

Thanks again, Michael!

I have seen this list through my DTS press contacts when I was working for Home Theater Magazine on a fulltime basis, but havent looked at it in a long time....thanks for the info and the link; I'll re-check it.....how does the Jurassic Park III DTS track sound? Its it really deep and loud with tons of LFE? THATS what I would love to hear!

Thanks again, Michael!
    Plenty of deep rib shaking base. Put it on a big screen, turn it up a little, set your lady next to you, and she'll be holding on to you for dear life.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Plenty of deep rib shaking base. Put it on a big screen, turn it up a little, set your lady next to you, and she'll be holding on to you for dear life.
    GREAT news, Michael! Unfortunatley, I recently broke up with my "little lady" who I found out was with another guy, and so I dont have anyone to sit next to me to enjoy this hobby with anymore..... and that hurts......

But I shall look into buying a copy of JURASSIC PARK III so I can experience this DTS track.....

Sorry dude.

Been there. Had a fiancée who married my best friend. Sucked big time. But maybe you have a female friend who's kinda hot and you always wanted to get a little closer. You can just sit back and watch the show and wait for her to grab you. Just a thought.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Been there. Had a fiancée who married my best friend. Sucked big time. But maybe you have a female friend who's kinda hot and you always wanted to get a little closer. You can just sit back and watch the show and wait for her to grab you. Just a thought.

Yeah, this was a really sucky situation man and I appreciate your input on this......I have recently moved away from New York, where I was in the relationship, to be closer with my family in Nevada, but I am not really "over her" yet and so I havent delved into the single scene here in Vegas, which I am told SUCKS big time.

Do you believe in the theory that after we break up with someone, there can always be someone else for us to love or to love us down the road ---- or is it totally over when someone hurts us? Do we not move on with new people? Do you think I will ever get into a relationship with someone new again now that she's gone?

Dude

Yeah, this was a really sucky situation man and I appreciate your input on this......I have recently moved away from New York, where I was in the relationship, to be closer with my family in Nevada, but I am not really "over her" yet and so I havent delved into the single scene here in Vegas, which I am told SUCKS big time.

Do you believe in the theory that after we break up with someone, there can always be someone else for us to love or to love us down the road ---- or is it totally over when someone hurts us? Do we not move on with new people? Do you think I will ever get into a relationship with someone new again now that she's gone?
    I know it can seem like the end when it happens. But time keeps moving on and so will you. I had my heart broken more times than I can remember. But now I'm hooked up with the greatest lady of them all. I am sooooooooo lucky that the others didn't work out. It would have sucked even more to have been married when the right girl finally came into my life.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I know it can seem like the end when it happens. But time keeps moving on and so will you. I had my heart broken more times than I can remember. But now I'm hooked up with the greatest lady of them all. I am sooooooooo lucky that the others didn't work out. It would have sucked even more to have been married when the right girl finally came into my life.
    Thanks Michael.....you have been a GREAT inspiration during this VERY hard time for me......I REALLY appreciate it....honest. My heart has been broken, as well, way too many times and it is true: it DOES happen to the nice guys like me and you.

I guess I gotta hold on to when that "right lady" finally comes into my life.....I just hope Im not running out of time at 32 years old......

Talking glad I could help

Thanks Michael.....you have been a GREAT inspiration during this VERY hard time for me......I REALLY appreciate it....honest. My heart has been broken, as well, way too many times and it is true: it DOES happen to the nice guys like me and you.

I guess I gotta hold on to when that "right lady" finally comes into my life.....I just hope Im not running out of time at 32 years old......
    By the way. I just got married at the young age of 41, I'm 44 now with 45 hot on my heels. At 32 you still have plenty of time. Try to enjoy yourself now. I used to worry so much about finding the right lady that I let the here and now slip through my fingers in many ways. I could have done so much more. But I'm here now. And now is great. The job is a pain in the ars but it pays the bills, and leaves me enough extra to enjoy my new/old hobbies of listening to music, watching DVD's and playing pool.
    Your time will come too, but don't let today get away. There's too much to do. So much fun to be had. Go have it.

I don't get to demo my HT. But I have a few DTS movies that I think are worth the extra coin.
    First Blood I & II - Special Edition DTS
    Predator- DTS
    Die Another Day- Special Edition DTS
    Pearl Harbor- DTS
    Gladiator- Special Editon DTS
    Sacred Planet- Documentary in DTS
    I think Pearl Harbor battle scenes is the best for demo-ing.
    In Sacred Planet there is a 3 minute instrumental near the beginning with heavy drums that sounds totally awesome with excellant photography.
    For an HD picture played through my upscaler I'd say 'Troy' has the best picture of all my movies and the soundtrack is very impressive as well in DD.
    Last edited by Wireworm5; 07-01-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    By the way. I just got married at the young age of 41, I'm 44 now with 45 hot on my heels. At 32 you still have plenty of time. Try to enjoy yourself now. I used to worry so much about finding the right lady that I let the here and now slip through my fingers in many ways. I could have done so much more. But I'm here now. And now is great. The job is a pain in the ars but it pays the bills, and leaves me enough extra to enjoy my new/old hobbies of listening to music, watching DVD's and playing pool.
    Your time will come too, but don't let today get away. There's too much to do. So much fun to be had. Go have it.

Thank you SO much Michael......I thought I missed my time for getting married because I am 32....all my friends married before I did, but I guess I just have not found the right one.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    I don't get to demo my HT. But I have a few DTS movies that I think are worth the extra coin.
    First Blood I & II - Special Edition DTS
    Predator- DTS
    Die Another Day- Special Edition DTS
    Pearl Harbor- DTS
    Gladiator- Special Editon DTS
    Sacred Planet- Documentary in DTS
    I think Pearl Harbor battle scenes is the best for demo-ing.
    In Sacred Planet there is a 3 minute instrumental near the beginning with heavy drums that sounds totally awesome with excellant photography.
    For an HD picture played through my upscaler I'd say 'Troy' has the best picture of all my movies and the soundtrack is very impressive as well in DD.
    Hey Wire,

Thanks for joining the discussion! Some tracks on your list I agree with, some I do not, such as PREDATOR --- I did a very in-depth review of the COLLECTOR'S EDITION of PREDATOR that recently came out on another website, and concluded that audio just sounded "messy" in certain spots on the DTS mix; there were times where the explosions and gunfire became "muddy" sounding to me, and there was an overall weird un-eveness to the track, as well as to the video, which was sometimes HORRIBLY grainy, and then sometimes VERY clean.

Now, on the subject of PEARL HARBOR, I also recently did a review of the 60th COMMEMORATIVE EDITION two disc set of this DVD for another site, and concluded this was one of those films that just SUCKED and put you to sleep for the first 90 minutes with the God-awful love triangle thing going on; once the attack sequence heats up, though, you are right, that DTS mix is pretty hot. Bullets fly from every surround channel, bass rocks your sub when the missiles blow up the battleships, and Japanese Zero fly-bys sounds pretty cool; believe it or not though, I STILL think something is missing from Touchstone's DTS track on PEARL HARBOR --- while NEAR reference, I still dont consider it absolute REFERENCE quality as I would SAVING PRIVATE RYAN or GLADIATOR --- which you mentioned, and I agree with; GLADIATOR'S DTS mix STILL blows me through my back wall when I crank up the arena scenes.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    I wanted to add Universal's FAST AND THE FURIOUS to my list of demo discs; this is one kick-ass DTS track --- I will go into the details when I post a review after watching this cheesily awesome car film tonight! Stay tuned friends......

cam
    Thank you SO much Michael......I thought I missed my time for getting married because I am 32....all my friends married before I did, but I guess I just have not found the right one.
    You don't post forever, your old lady breaks up with you and now we are again worthy of your posts. I guess when you disappear again we can assume you have found yourself a new women. Don't put too much pressure on yourself by not being married by 32. If you do you will never find the right one. My ex girlfriend broke up with me back in 93, I was devastated, I mean I couldn't even eat. My friends kept me busy by making sure I kept going out to the clubs every weekend. All I wanted to do was find a new girl and fast. I hated being single and nothing was working out for me. And then all of a sudden, about 3 months of being single, I was starting to enjoy being single with no pressure to find someone, and all of a sudden I started to have my pick. Women were coming from everywhere and then I met by now wife after 4 months of being single. We got married in 98 and were still going strong today. Women can see when a guy is desperate for a relationship, the trick is to act hard to get.

As to your original post, a good demo disc for me is Daredevil in DTS. Truely a remarkable sound track that not too many people now about.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "You don't post forever, your old lady breaks up with you and now we are again worthy of your posts. I guess when you disappear again we can assume you have found yourself a new women"

Are you being sarcastic here, Cam, or serious, because if you are being sarcastic, come on, man.....have a bit of a heart.....I looked at her more than just "my old lady"......I really cared for this woman and she betrayed me with another guy.....you have to understand how that hurts......BUT, if you are being serious regarding my "respect" for the site, you are COMPLETELY RIGHT and I apologize --- I shall now, and in the future, give all my attention and efforts to all you good people in here and I believe I am showing that with the in depth DVD reviews I am doing on a much more serious level in the FAVORITE FILMS forum; I am sorry for dissapearing, if thats what you were accusing me of --- I was also doing DVD review work for magazines and another website at the time you didnt hear from me, because I assumed no one on here enjoyed my reviews anyway, but I guess I was wrong.

"Don't put too much pressure on yourself by not being married by 32. If you do you will never find the right one"

Oh, great.....something to look foward to.....NEVER finding the right one.....

"My ex girlfriend broke up with me back in 93, I was devastated, I mean I couldn't even eat."

I know that feeling. I have lost at LEAST 30 pounds since this breakup and moving away from my hometown and to my family in Nevada.

"My friends kept me busy by making sure I kept going out to the clubs every weekend. All I wanted to do was find a new girl and fast"

Unfortunately, I moved on impulse away from where I was living to Henderson, Nevada, where my parents have a house here, and I am starting completely over here --- I dont have any friends here yet, and Im working on getting a new job to keep me busy, which will be Associate Editor of CASINO PLAYER Magazine. Plus, Im not into the clubs at all; Im more a simple kind of guy. I hope thats not where the "good girls" are --- at the clubs, because here in Vegas, they're all gorgeous, tall, gold-digging fake-titted *****es....

"I hated being single and nothing was working out for me. And then all of a sudden, about 3 months of being single, I was starting to enjoy being single with no pressure to find someone, and all of a sudden I started to have my pick. Women were coming from everywhere and then I met by now wife after 4 months of being single. We got married in 98 and were still going strong today. Women can see when a guy is desperate for a relationship, the trick is to act hard to get."

I hear this all the time, that when you are LEAST looking for it is when it is going to happen --- do you agree in so many other words? Congratulations on your strong marriage, by the way.

"As to your original post, a good demo disc for me is Daredevil in DTS. Truely a remarkable sound track that not too many people now about."

Oh YES ---- I know about it and forgot to mention it in my list --- that is ONE AWESOME DTS track by 20th Century Fox ---- and as a matter of fact, I am going to re-visit this DVD sometime this weekend, because now you got me in the mood to watch it, and do an official review on it! There are suprisingly TONS of LFE on this track, such as when young Matt Murdock's I.V. bag in the hospital is dripping after his blindness accident, and when the liquid drips into the bag, this is accompanied by wallops of bass. So much, in fact, that in my original system in my apartment where I used to live, this scene made my sub pop and snap, requiring me to trim back the dB levels of the sub in the calibration menu of the receiver.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give me your thoughts, I appreciate it --- I just HOPE I didnt miss my time by NOT getting married yet at 32.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information