Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am surprised not to see my favorite DVD pop up yet as a reference demo material disc...

Master and Commander is the perfect disc for showing off any reference quality HT system, IMO. It is one of the few discs that uses the surround channels not just for bullets and the like, but for just a total sound immersion that convinces the listener/viewer that you are on the ship with the crew... That, and of course the super-dynamic cannon scenes will test any subwoofer to see what it *really* is made of. :-)

Backup reference discs for me have already been mentioned...

I agree that Gladiator has a great DTS ES soundtrack that has held up well over the years...

Saving Private Ryan DTS is also, as many have mentioned reference quality.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    I am surprised not to see my favorite DVD pop up yet as a reference demo material disc...

Master and Commander is the perfect disc for showing off any reference quality HT system, IMO. It is one of the few discs that uses the surround channels not just for bullets and the like, but for just a total sound immersion that convinces the listener/viewer that you are on the ship with the crew... That, and of course the super-dynamic cannon scenes will test any subwoofer to see what it *really* is made of. :-)

Backup reference discs for me have already been mentioned...

I agree that Gladiator has a great DTS ES soundtrack that has held up well over the years...

Saving Private Ryan DTS is also, as many have mentioned reference quality.

---Dave
    Hello Dave!

Thanks for your input! MASTER AND COMMANDER does in fact have good demo moments, with the sounds of creaking wood aboard the ships and such, its just that I did not enjoy the film at all and do not have it in my collection. But I remember the DTS mix being rich in LFE and active in general when I rented it.

Was it DTS or Dolby Digital --- was I wrong about the DTS mix on MASTER AND COMMANDER?

cam
    Hey Lex, I was just playing with you, I do feel your pain as I have stated about a women leaving. When you are in love and they leave, it SUCKS. As far as Master And Commander, sure it does sound good but man is this movie a yawner. Even with all the great sound, I just could barely stay awake for this ultra boring flick.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Hey Lex, I was just playing with you, I do feel your pain as I have stated about a women leaving. When you are in love and they leave, it SUCKS. As far as Master And Commander, sure it does sound good but man is this movie a yawner. Even with all the great sound, I just could barely stay awake for this ultra boring flick.
    Thanks Cam,

Boy are you right --- this film (Master and Commander) had to be one of the most boring motion pictures EVER made.....I dont know what Crowe was thinking taking this role......

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Hello Dave!

Thanks for your input! MASTER AND COMMANDER does in fact have good demo moments, with the sounds of creaking wood aboard the ships and such, its just that I did not enjoy the film at all and do not have it in my collection. But I remember the DTS mix being rich in LFE and active in general when I rented it.

Was it DTS or Dolby Digital --- was I wrong about the DTS mix on MASTER AND COMMANDER?
    Master and Commander was DTS (or at least that is the version I use)...

As for it not being a good film, I guess that is a matter of personal taste. I liked it quite a bit actually... It kind of reminded me of the Horatio Hornblower films on A&E (that I also liked), but with a much larger budget. I guess I am just a sucker for movies based on historical fiction novels (movies like the Sharpe's series based on the books by Bernard Cornwell are also some of my favorites).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Master and Commander was DTS (or at least that is the version I use)..."

Thanks Dave, I believe you are right --- it was in DTS. Thank you!

Lex,

While you are looking through your DVD's for good demos, take a look at a few of the standard TV broadcasts these days. The Sci-fi channel is full of hot shows and movies with excelent sound tracks. Granted, the stories and plots are a little, well, let's say B-class, but the sound is very good these days. Just watch an episode of Stargate SG1 or Atlantis. Spike TV also has some pretty good sound. Check them out simetime.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Plenty of deep rib shaking base. Put it on a big screen, turn it up a little, set your lady next to you, and she'll be holding on to you for dear life.
    Because of your recommendation, I went out and bought this DVD today, that is, Jurassic Park III and will have an official review of it up soon; from what I have watched so far in DTS------OH MY GOD------the bass is so much deeper and louder on this track than on the world-famous original Jurassic Park DTS track......holy **** is this mix alive......

Thanks Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Because of your recommendation, I went out and bought this DVD today, that is, Jurassic Park III and will have an official review of it up soon; from what I have watched so far in DTS------OH MY GOD------the bass is so much deeper and louder on this track than on the world-famous original Jurassic Park DTS track......holy **** is this mix alive......
    I feel honored that you would go out and buy a DVD on my recommendation. Thank you. I saw that you posted the review already. I'll jump back and read it now.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I feel honored that you would go out and buy a DVD on my recommendation. Thank you. I saw that you posted the review already. I'll jump back and read it now.
    Thank YOU Michael for the recommendation......the sound was AMAZING, but there was little in the plot department.....I hope you like the review!

Thanks for reading it!

luvs2jam60

Dvd Demo

I'm not sure if they have a DTS mix of it, but one of my favorites is The Last Samuri. Towards the middle of the movie, Tom cruise fights one of the samuri during a storm. The storm effects are amazing! And the sword fighting, because they fight with wooden practice swords in this scene, is amazing. The strikes are so clear and crisp. Definitely one of my top demos, even though its Tom cruise playing a samuri. What's next, Brad Pitt playing a greek warlord?? HA!

Mutant from table 9
    I saw War of the Worlds last weekend. Hopefully they will release a DTS version, because that will blow the roof off. The sound effects in the opening sequence was literally visceral.

But, I like some of the more subtle sound effects, i.e. last year's Hero. There is a sword fight in the rain like Last Samari that is just brilliantly done. You would swear it is raining in your theater room( or in my case basement). Or, the car crash in Vanilla Sky. That scene just felt like a real car crash, sudden and quick with no slow motion. Also, Almost Famous does a great job incorporating music into the soundtrack seemlessly. There is a scene where the kid is listening to the Who his sister's record player. The music is initially in mono out of the center channel, just like it would be out of the record player, before spreading across all channels and just peeling the paint from the walls. Plus, there are some live music sequences that put those fancy Yamaha "Hall" DSP's to shame. There have been some movies of late that I have noticed the sound tracks are really well mixed, i.e. The Girl Next Door, Grind (Terrible movies, good soundtracks), and Garden State jump to mind. Movies that make go pull albums from your collection are a good thing.

Home Theater Slave
    Ya, Just my 2 Cents.

But when someone's here and i wanna show off, I always switch to dvd 1 in my changer and play then "depth charge" scene from U-571 DTS. It's absolutly Booming. Then i switch over to some Gladiator DTS, the 1 vs 1 scene with the tigers. really sick, clean crisp sound there. And then Finally throw in Terminator 2: Collectors Edition DTS the opening intro's are killer.

but thats just me, and I dont have the greatest opinions in the world so.

--Dreadnaut

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "I always switch to dvd 1 in my changer and play then "depth charge" scene from U-571 DTS. It's absolutly Booming."

ABSOLUTELY agreed. One of the BEST examples of DTS on the market, hands down, and one of MY go to discs immediately.

"Then i switch over to some Gladiator DTS, the 1 vs 1 scene with the tigers. really sick, clean crisp sound there."

Again, you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY.....this scene sounds SO WICKED when cranked up, you would think you're in the middle of that arena with Crowe.....

"but thats just me, and I dont have the greatest opinions in the world so."

Dont ever sell yourself short. Your opinions mean a lot to folks like me on here, and others as well!

Home Theater Slave
    "Just watch an episode of Stargate SG1 or Atlantis. Spike TV also has some pretty good sound"

I totally agree, I find HBO to have great sound in their programs, I have Band Of Brothers on dvd in my collection as I would hope alot of others do also, and it has an DTS track for all the episodes that seems like every episode is "Saving Private Ryan" so many great scenes throughout that series, I would recommend to anyone.

Then I would have to say that I have all 3 LOTR Special Collector Editions, with the DTS tracks there are amazing, from slinging arrows, the beating of the Goblin drums. Total immersion into the movie.

anyways im out

----Dreadnaut

Forum Regular
    gotta love the scene in the matrix when he goes thru the metal detector, and he opens his coat with all those guns................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information