Forum Regular

Learning Remotes question

I have a question pertaining to learning remotes. Do they really work? I have never owned one but I have a cable box made by a company called Galaxy and everytime I see a programmable remote I can never find the the name Galaxy as one of the cable box names so I am stuck using the remote that came with it.

Now, as I am sure all of you have this problem, I have a seperate remote for the DVD player, Cable Box, TV, VCR, Satellite Box, and Surround Sound (Yamaha RX-V650). I have programmed the Surround Sound remote to control the TV, Satellite, and DVD player but can't seem to get any codes for my Galaxy cable box. Can anyone help me with this, and if not would a learning remote do a good job? If so, can you recommend a few of them? Thanks a lot reading this, and for any help that you can give.

Ryan

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282
    I have a question pertaining to learning remotes. Do they really work? I have never owned one but I have a cable box made by a company called Galaxy and everytime I see a programmable remote I can never find the the name Galaxy as one of the cable box names so I am stuck using the remote that came with it.

Now, as I am sure all of you have this problem, I have a seperate remote for the DVD player, Cable Box, TV, VCR, Satellite Box, and Surround Sound (Yamaha RX-V650). I have programmed the Surround Sound remote to control the TV, Satellite, and DVD player but can't seem to get any codes for my Galaxy cable box. Can anyone help me with this, and if not would a learning remote do a good job? If so, can you recommend a few of them? Thanks a lot reading this, and for any help that you can give.

Ryan
    Learning remotes work quite well. You can get all of the above listed components working from a single remote. If you get a good one, they have programmable functions as well. What that means is that you can program the remote to push in order up to 50 buttons. As an example if you want to watch a DVD, you have to turn on your receiver, get the right input, turn the DVD player on, turn the TV on, etc. With the learning remote it'll activate the buttons for you. All you have to do is to point the remote in the right direction.

Can't recommend anything because my receiver came with a good one, but I've heard the Philips Pronto series is quite a good remote.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282

Ryan
    The home theater master MX-500 is in my opinion the best remote out there by far. It is extremely powerfull, the range of frequencies it can handle is really great, and for less than $200 is a really good deal.

The Pronto . . .well, some people say its great, I don't. I had one and I really think it is a POS. The touch screen needed constant calibration, the lack of tactile feedback was really annoying and it failed to recognized some of my components which use higher frequency IR signals.

In the end, my advice to you would be to do what I did: buy every control that you think might do it for you and try it at home. If you don't like it return it and try with another one.

Good luck.

PS. ther are also a lot of computer-based remote control systems that work really well . . .

Most programmable remotes will allow you to "custom" program them. This allows the remote to learn functions from remotes that do not have preprogrammed codes, such as your Galaxy. Usually, you simply place the original remote facing the learning remote and follow the basic instructions. Most universal remotes have this function and it seems to be what you're looking for. The Sony RMAV3100 is a good remote for around $100 online from B&HPhoto.com. I have the predecessor and it's been fine except for one glitch.

You might check out http://www.remotecentral.com/ as it specializes in reviews and the forums there are very informative, especially regarding problems you might encounter.

The other poster is right too, touchscreens aren't all they're cracked up to be. Also, the Pronto strikes me as hideously expensive for a freakin' remote.

Hope this helps

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will get out there and see what I can find works the best. I will keep you posted but thanks a lot for the advice I will use it well.

Ryan

Forum Regular
    Is the Radioshack 1984 (I think that's the correct model)considered a learning remote or just a programmable one?

Thread Information