Stuck choosing between 3 onkyo receivers...which is worth the $

TX-SR503 $269.99 (at circuit city)
    TX-SR602 $347.81+shipping (onecall.com)
    TX-SR702 $547.81+shipping (onecall.com)

I have a one bedroom apartment so I can't really blast my speakers, but I want a good quality sound. Is there a huge sound quality difference between these or is the price increase due to the features? I know the last two have the auto setup which I like but is there are real audio quality difference between the two? Thanks

Price differences within a brand are usually related to features that are worth it (auto-calibration) and some that aren't (an extra 10wpc). Denon spec's out higher grade DAC's and upconversion capabilities as you scale the ladder and I'll bet Onkyo does the same thing. The "value" of these features is dependent on each individual. I'd easily pay for auto-eq, but I could care less if one uses Motorola DSP's versus Crystal DSP's because I never use the things anyway.

If you are planning on using the avr for the bulk of your decoding, you should consider the different DAC's and test them side by side to see which you prefer, provided you can hear a difference. The amplifier topologies are more than likely going to be equal, so sound quality from the amp section should be the same. Don't get sucked in by more power. AVR wattages are more marketing than substance.

Hope this helps.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    "Don't get sucked in by more power. AVR wattages are more marketing than substance."

This is very true; you can't really judge a receiver by the numbers advertised for its supposed "power output;" you have to hear how it sounds in a particular room you're going to be running the system in --- I personally own the predecessor of that 602 (I think you mentioned), which is the TX-SR600, and its "80 watts x 6" seems to fill the rather massive media room I'm running in right now once I get the volume up and going----so those numbers really mean nothing.

You already did the right thing by choosing an Onkyo; where in your one bedroom apartment is the system going to be in----the living room or bedroom? I am sure ANY of these models you listed will rock your listening space; if price is a concern, you cant go wrong with the "600" series of Onkyo's in their TX-SR line.

Forum Regular
    try not to limit yourself to one brand in your search,you may miss out on something better for around the same cash.since you allready have your speakers try to find a reciever that is a good match for them.such as never match bright speakers with a bright sounding reciever.don't know that much about your klipch speakers but i did audition a 7 series onkyo when i was shopping and did not find it that impressive.i am a music first guy so that is my first priority.i ended up with a cambridge audio 540r and they match up with my jmlabs speakers very well.
    good luck
    bill

Resident DVD Reviewer
    ....but do yourself a massive favor and STAY AWAY from ANY receiver made by Sony (that's not part of their ES line), Kenwood, JVC and (I know I'm gonna get a lot of slack for this from H/K fans but) Harmon, as the quality of their receivers has definitely turned way too mass-market and from what I am hearing they're suffering quality control issues.

I would, if I were you, only consider:

-Onkyo
    -Denon
    -Yamaha

But since you have your heart set on Onkyo, you cant go wrong. That 602 will probably kick ass in your apartment......

thanks for the input it really helps. The stereo is going in my living room which shares the same room as my kitchen. The living room portion is 14' 7" by 17' 7". My current speakers are:
    2 Klipsch KG 3.5
    JBL PB12 subwoofer
    Bose vcs-10 center
    Bose 301 rears
    I am definetly replacing the bose 301 as they have rain damage and will replace the center because I don't like it. I can either move the the klipsch to the rear and get new klipsch or get new smaller klipsch for the back.
    I have narrowed it down to the 602 and 702 because of the auto calibration. The only real difference I can see between the two is $200 15 watts per channel and THX select. Is THX select worth it? Or should I put that money into speakers? Anyway I am making my decision tonight cause I am anxious to listen to some music. Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by venkman
    thanks for the input it really helps. The stereo is going in my living room which shares the same room as my kitchen. The living room portion is 14' 7" by 17' 7". My current speakers are:
    2 Klipsch KG 3.5
    JBL PB12 subwoofer
    Bose vcs-10 center
    Bose 301 rears
    I am definetly replacing the bose 301 as they have rain damage and will replace the center because I don't like it. I can either move the the klipsch to the rear and get new klipsch or get new smaller klipsch for the back.
    I have narrowed it down to the 602 and 702 because of the auto calibration. The only real difference I can see between the two is $200 15 watts per channel and THX select. Is THX select worth it? Or should I put that money into speakers? Anyway I am making my decision tonight cause I am anxious to listen to some music. Thanks again, you guys are awesome.
    I think speakers will help you more than the 15 watts. Do you like the Klipsch you have? If so, I'd say to look into more Klipsch to match. The center would be the place to start. You won't need a lot of power to drive Klipsch speakers. Most are well over 90+db.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Lightbulb here is another receiver

an addition to the great Onkyo receivers you mention, i would suggest looking at the Pioneer VSX-1015TX for $499 at Best Try, ooops I ment Best Buy. Or you can go to onecall.com and vanns.com.

Forum Regular
    From the 602 to the 702 you get component upconversion (as opposed to switching), preouts for all speakers (not just the sub, allows addition of external power amps in the future), extra digital coaxial and optical inputs, a phono input, 15 wpc additional (hey, it doesn't hurt, does it?), THX processing mode / THX Select certification, and Pure Audio mode (turns off all internal components not necessary for 2 ch operation, the idea being to allow the cleanest 2 ch listening possible from an AVR). That's probably not quite everything, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Forum Regular
    I own the Onkyo TX-SR502 and a Marantz SR8500 and I've run them in side-by-side comparisons before.

It almost makes me sad how good the Onkyo 502 sounds compared to the 8500 that is almost 6-8 times the price. The Marantz still sounds better....but not 10 times better...

If you don't need video upconvert, or the pre-outs...than that Onkyo TX-SR503 is a giant killer I think.

or look around for last years 502 version (I saw it for $130 a couple months ago on ecost) and save even more.

I've heard the 702 as well...and it does sound better....but I unless you need the other functionality it offers I would go with the 502 or 503...

Thread Information