lcd front projector help

Printable View

• 07-29-2004, 05:29 PM
    ronning
    lcd front projector help
    Now that i've made decisions for all my audio equipment and video source equipment, i'm starting to toy with the idea of what to do next for a monitor. I'm interested in the possibility of a used LCD projector and am wondering on a few things:

First of all, anyone recommend an LCD projector suitable for home theater use that costs under $500 (can be used)?

Secondly, since many LCD projectors natively project a computer resolution of 1024x768 (which is not interlaced), does this mean they can natively handle progressive video coming from a progressive DVD player? I don't need "high definition" (I have no HD source of any kind nor plan to have any HD source for quite some time), but just the ability to display 480p would be very cool.

Any other things to watch out for?
  • 07-29-2004, 05:47 PM
    sy_lu
    Cheap LCD projector has poor brightness, contract, color and they are very slow. They are made more for presentation than HT.

As for connecting a VGA based LCD projector, you need a component to VGA converter and make sure the LCD has builtin scaler to show 480P as they are not native VGA resolution and not every one can auto sync. Many new ones can and even has components video and DVI input but I don't think they are at your price point.
  • 07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
    ronning
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sy_lu
    Cheap LCD projector has poor brightness, contract, color and they are very slow. They are made more for presentation than HT.

As for connecting a VGA based LCD projector, you need a component to VGA converter and make sure the LCD has builtin scaler to show 480P as they are not native VGA resolution and not every one can auto sync. Many new ones can and even has components video and DVI input but I don't think they are at your price point.

Thanks for the good info. Most likely this will be out of my budget, but I was thinking that I could perhaps find a discontinued/discounted model or a low price on Ebay.

If you have any particular models which you know that are good and in the lower price range, please let me know.

Thanks
  • 07-30-2004, 06:05 AM
    AVMASTER
    Sy lu is right, however $500 price range just ain't gonna happen. For what you want to do take a look at Hitachi HOME-1, it covers everything you asked for but expect to spend at least $1600.
  • 07-30-2004, 11:41 AM
    sy_lu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronning
    Thanks for the good info. Most likely this will be out of my budget,
    Thanks

Tiger Direct is selling refurb DLP projector from $750. A bit higher than your $500 budget but probably has better spec and image quality than low cost LCD projectors in the same or even higher price range.

Keep in mind that the lamp will burn out and need to be replaced for either LCD or DLP. You want to take this additonal cost plus you also need a screen into consideration.. Projecting on to the wall will produce a rather poor image even with good projectors.