Thread: RCA proscan 35"

Forum Regular

RCA proscan 35"

a family friend, and neighbour gave me his old 35" proscan rca tv today. its from 1993, it has 3 s video connections and a bunch of composite. he says it has been acting up on him lately. slightly fuzzy picture and every once in a while it would flicker. but he says not like flicker, but turn off but then back on a second later. but it only does it once in a while and only once at a time.

just wondering if any of you guys know what the problem with the tv would most likely be? tube? capacitor? or something simpler. i havent got to plug it in and play something on it yet but i will tomorrow and describe exactly what it does.

the way im thinking is, i need a new tv for my room. and a 32" - 36" tv now is like $800-$2000 for a decent one. so if i could fix this one for *fairly* cheap it would be worth it. i have heard great reviews that they look clear and work good.

Forum Regular
    R u serious? You can get the equal to that tv today for $500 CDN.

Forum Regular
    500....... no way. a 32" tv is like 700. let alone a 35 or 36. a new jvc 36 is $1800 $1600 on sale. i know thats a flat screen and its got more features but this one is dam good for free. i just want some input on what most likely is wrong. could it be somethign simple like a power supply problem or a dirty contact or a loose contact?

Something else you might consider...

Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    500....... no way. a 32" tv is like 700. let alone a 35 or 36. a new jvc 36 is $1800 $1600 on sale. i know thats a flat screen and its got more features but this one is dam good for free. i just want some input on what most likely is wrong. could it be somethign simple like a power supply problem or a dirty contact or a loose contact?
    If there's a repair center near you, take it in and have them look at it. If it's out of your price range to fix it, ask if they will give you trade in value towards the purchase of one they have already worked on. I personally have had probs with RCA TV's and the fix is usually more than what the unit is worth.(Uh-huh-huh... unit)

Here's a link to a RCA's site that might help...

http://www.rca.com/customerservice

Also might be helpful...

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

Good luck!
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Forum Regular
    Boy, you have a knack for going directly from the "frying pan" smack dab into the fire, don't you. First it's a 25 year old Sanyo amplifier that you're not likely to get fixed (at least not without spending FAR more than it's possibly worth) ... then, you come into the possession of quite possibly the most troublesome TV set of the past 20 years!

Take my advice ... please! Hear me now, and believe me later. RUN, do not walk away from that beast as fast as your little legs can carry you. Do not take it to a service shop - do not get it repaired (at ANY price) - do not "hope for the best" - do not keep that monster ... it will eat you for lunch!

Your estimated cost of another set is flat out wrong ... 36" sets (analog) are selling today in the range of $500-$700 (US dollars). That translates into around $675-$925 in Canadian ... not the $1800 you're thinking they cost. TV sets today are just too damned cheap to mess around with a 10 year old set with problems.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Woodman is right. Average life span of tube Tvs are about 7-8 years, and if anything goes wrong with a TV after that period, it is better to cut losses right there and then and just get a new TV.

Forum Regular
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=11

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...11&WLBS=fsweb5

i dont see any for the 625 your talking about? even a rca is 1000 bucks. so if i can get mine fixed for like 100 - 150 bucks thats way better. and thats what its supposly going to cost.

Forum Regular

heres one

600 right now at sears. Toshiba 36"
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=05746423000
    Just one example, and I agree you should be able to find many options in the $600 range, especially if you get lucky and can land a floor model.

Forum Regular
    thats american pricing right, "sears.com" what would that be canadian like 800-900 ish.

wouldnt it be better just to spend 100 instead of 700+ on a new tv and get this one fixed? it looks mint, all the inputs outputs i want.

by the way i ran it today and the picture is great. its really clear. the only problem is the colour orange goes blurry. thats the only problem with the tv. so i have to find out why this is. im phoning rca's customer service tomorrow there closed weekends.

anyone know what that would be? usually tubes dont go only in one colour, is that even possible. usually you get a horizontal line or something, or wavy lines at the top.

this tv is not for a main surround system its for my room. thats why im hesitating on spending like 800+ dollars on a tv of this size. if it was for a surround system with alot of movies and what not then i see where your all coming from with buying a new one. but its mostly tv and some movies but rare. so if i could spend 100-200 and get it working it would save me alot of money and it would be all i needed.

Forum Regular
    well i got a hold of a really nice tv repair place and there coming to do a free estimate tomorrow, but the guy said he knows these tv's and from what i said and his experience he said it is most likely a capacitor. which will only cost me like 3 - 4 dollars. so i got a heck of a deal. and on the worst possible case if the tube is gone he says he has a way to blow the tube fault out, and at the most it would be 100 bucks. still worth it to me.

Thread Information