• 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
    thekid
    Laserdiscs everywhere......
    Well while the death cage match goes on over on the "Universal Healthcare" thread.... :biggrin5: I thought I'd post a little something on my latest CL score.

Saw a listing for 300 discs and a LD player for $50 and was lucky enough to be the first contact so quickly closed the deal. Picked it up today and a quick count shows there is 392 titles from the 40's -90's of a variety of genres. About 20 of them were doubles but at an average cost of 8 cents a disc i think I did okay. LD technology is out of date in alot of ways but on HD TV the PQ is not too bad and the price is better than what I could get even if some of these titles even for a used DVD or VHS.
  • 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
    Charlie04SiR
    Oh man!! You got me drooling, kid!!
    So your the one who stole that 300 LD's and player for $50 out from under me??? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :eek6: :eek6:

Heheheh! Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnbeleiveable, Kid, Great score! Now send 'em over to my place! :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get yourself about 2000 more LD's and you'll just begin to catch up with me and my collection :) I love the analog picture because it's transferred straight from the film prints and not altered, enhanced, etc etc, with all that pixley garbage they do nowadays.

Charlie
  • 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Well while the death cage match goes on over on the "Universal Healthcare" thread.... :biggrin5: I thought I'd post a little something on my latest CL score.

Saw a listing for 300 discs and a LD player for $50 and was lucky enough to be the first contact so quickly closed the deal. Picked it up today and a quick count shows there is 392 titles from the 40's -90's of a variety of genres. About 20 of them were doubles but at an average cost of 8 cents a disc i think I did okay. LD technology is out of date in alot of ways but on HD TV the PQ is not too bad and the price is better than what I could get even if some of these titles even for a used DVD or VHS.

I've never messed with Laserdisc but for 50 bucks and all those movies, I certainly would. You have a self sufficient deal with all those flicks, who cares if it's out of date now? You can watch a different movie everyday of the year.

I would have paid 50 for the player and the Highlander alone!! Great flick...
  • 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
    BadAssJazz
    [Lives in modest-sized condo]

Where the heck do you store that many LD's???
  • 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie04SiR
    So your the one who stole that 300 LD's and player for $50 out from under me??? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :eek6: :eek6:

Heheheh! Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnbeleiveable, Kid, Great score! Now send 'em over to my place! :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get yourself about 2000 more LD's and you'll just begin to catch up with me and my collection :) I love the analog picture because it's transferred straight from the film prints and not altered, enhanced, etc etc, with all that pixley garbage they do nowadays.

Charlie

My wife is already looking funny at the 400+ LPs in the dining room and now these stacks so I don't think I will trying to catch your count of 2k. However if you want to get rid of one of those SX-1980's you have lying around we might be able to make a deal........ :D

Here are some of the titles.....it is going to take a long time to go through these.....
  • 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
    kelsci
    I like LDs myself and have a working CLD-M90. I owned two Magnavision 8040gys, one of which I still have collecting dust since it gave me some problems. The Mag. which seemed to be a Pioneer LD700 clone gave an outstanding picture and analogue fm audio. The audio reminded me of the quality coming from a good Marantz tuner.

In the case of the CLD-M90, the analogue audio from the same disc is very good. This player has digital sound which I found "ok" but I had to used a better audio cable to get better equiliazation on the digital sound audio. There was some slight "takiness" and "shirllness" with the digital audio on this player. It is a good, but not great sounding CD player as well for the same reason. Picture quality was just a niche below the Mag, but still quite good overall with sharpness being the main thingy. Color was outstanding. I think the best disc I saw was Jurassic Park CAV. The JP CLV looked and sounded compressed while the CAV looked and sounded fantastic; sharp. Have fun with your player.
  • 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
    pixelthis
    I tossed my hundred or so LD'S earlier this year, your post brings back a lot of nostalgia.
    Even after upconversion by you monitor a LD will still look like something off of basic cable.
    But if you can live with that( and getting up to flip a disc halfway thru a movie) then enjoy.
    Had a lot of fun with my Laserdisc, watching peoples' jaws drop when they saw the quality,
    as compared to what was available back then.
    There is just better ways of watching movies these days, is all.:1:
  • 10-06-2009, 01:29 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I tossed my hundred or so LD'S earlier this year, your post brings back a lot of nostalgia.
    Even after upconversion by you monitor a LD will still look like something off of basic cable.
    But if you can live with that( and getting up to flip a disc halfway thru a movie) then enjoy.
    Had a lot of fun with my Laserdisc, watching peoples' jaws drop when they saw the quality,
    as compared to what was available back then.
    There is just better ways of watching movies these days, is all.:1:

Well Pix "One man's trash is another man's treasure" as they say.........

I am not kidding myself that the PQ or even the SQ (the LDP has a optical out so will be able to play titles in DTS) is up to DVD standards but it is better than basic cable IMO. This player also has dual lasers so it can read both sides of a disc which eliminates the need to get up and flip the disk on most titles.

As I go through all of these I am finding alot of titles that are not easily or cheaply available even on DVD so at 8 cents a copy I can live with a little bit lower quality. Plus I do just like the nostalgic part of it a bit. Alot of the LP covers are like mini theater posters. So if you are the type of person who appreciated album cover art back in the day you can appreciate LD cover's for alot of the same reasons.
  • 10-06-2009, 05:53 AM
    Worf101
    Man you're something...
    Speakers, I can understand but Laserdisks? LOL. No the first, "digital" surround sound system I saw was at a co-workers house. He had LD version of "Apocaplypse Now" his idea of a demo was the "Shall We Dance" Ride of da Valkyrie's Scene. First time I'd ever seen and heard a HT system and said "wow"!

Enjoy man.

Da Worfster
  • 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
    thekid
    Crazy I know....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    Speakers, I can understand but Laserdisks? LOL. No the first, "digital" surround sound system I saw was at a co-workers house. He had LD version of "Apocaplypse Now" his idea of a demo was the "Shall We Dance" Ride of da Valkyrie's Scene. First time I'd ever seen and heard a HT system and said "wow"!

Enjoy man.

Da Worfster

I hear you bro! As I said to Pix I am not fooling myself here with this technology but it is kind of a fun little collection. Since picking up my first LCD player for $8 last year I have bought a few titles here and there for about a dollar a piece. with this latest pick-up I figure my total outlay for this hobby has been less than $100 and I have 2 LCD players and over 400 titles. I don't really think I will do anything beyond that. If you do want to relive your youth a bit I do have a copy of "Apocalypse Now" so we can watch it if you ever down in VB VA...... :D
  • 10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Well Pix "One man's trash is another man's treasure" as they say.........

I am not kidding myself that the PQ or even the SQ (the LDP has a optical out so will be able to play titles in DTS) is up to DVD standards but it is better than basic cable IMO. This player also has dual lasers so it can read both sides of a disc which eliminates the need to get up and flip the disk on most titles.

As I go through all of these I am finding alot of titles that are not easily or cheaply available even on DVD so at 8 cents a copy I can live with a little bit lower quality. Plus I do just like the nostalgic part of it a bit. Alot of the LP covers are like mini theater posters. So if you are the type of person who appreciated album cover art back in the day you can appreciate LD cover's for alot of the same reasons.

Yes its rather amazing, a DTS decoder used to go for 750 bucks, now you can plug
    your LD into any 200 buck receiver.
    I looked forward to this when I got my first DD'DTS decoder, plugging my Sony LD
    into it, but the Sony died a day later!
    Not trying to rain on your parade, I just like movies as good as I can see em, mostly,
    and tech has passed LD by, but if you can get something outta the deal, enjoy.
    BUT as much as I used to enjoy LD(kept SADE'S greatest hits in the player) I just
    want the best sight and sound I can manage, is all, and any DVD will knock the socks
    off of even the best LD.
    And they are cheap, and as BLU catches on they will get cheaper still.
    Just saying.:1:
  • 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
    kelsci
    We all forget here that a dvd or blue ray player is a laser disc player too but the info on the disc is in the digital domain rather than in the analog domain.
  • 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsci
    We all forget here that a dvd or blue ray player is a laser disc player too but the info on the disc is in the digital domain rather than in the analog domain.

Not really.
    The only thing they have in common is a read laser.
    DVD is 480i, LASER is 400i.
    Laser spins at over 700 rpm, uses a laminated disc, and is analog, and has no provision for progressive scan.
    A DVD read laser is higher in freq, and a DVD is five inches, a laser 12".
    DVD has a menu , which gives access to special features, etc.
    AND DVD is much closer to a computer, and can be player on a computer

TWO totally different animals, really.:1: