AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Laptop to HDTV (what cable is best?)

I have a DELL XPS Gen 2 laptop that I want to hook up to a Westinghouse LTV-27w7 HD. I want to purchase the best kind of video cable (10' or 12' long) to connect these two. However, I do not want to spend excess money on some exotic cable that is designed for higher-end video than this laptop can produce.

The laptop has three video outputs, VGA, DVI-D, and S-video. The TV has numerous video inputs, S-video, composite, VGA, YPbPr1 & 2, and HDMI-HDCP.

What would be the best cable for me to purchase? I was originally just looking for a standard 10' VGA cable, but I haven't been able to find one locally. I did find a 10' High-Integrity SVGA Monitor Cable for around $50.00. Am I going to be able to see a difference between that expensive SVGA cable and a standard VGA cable? Which is the best bet for my needs? Would some other combo cable be better, such as a DVI-D to HDMI-HDCP or DVI-D to VGA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake57
    I have a DELL XPS Gen 2 laptop that I want to hook up to a Westinghouse LTV-27w7 HD. I want to purchase the best kind of video cable (10' or 12' long) to connect these two. However, I do not want to spend excess money on some exotic cable that is designed for higher-end video than this laptop can produce.

The laptop has three video outputs, VGA, DVI-D, and S-video. The TV has numerous video inputs, S-video, composite, VGA, YPbPr1 & 2, and HDMI-HDCP.

What would be the best cable for me to purchase? I was originally just looking for a standard 10' VGA cable, but I haven't been able to find one locally. I did find a 10' High-Integrity SVGA Monitor Cable for around $50.00. Am I going to be able to see a difference between that expensive SVGA cable and a standard VGA cable? Which is the best bet for my needs? Would some other combo cable be better, such as a DVI-D to HDMI-HDCP or DVI-D to VGA?
    I would go from DVI to HDMI if your display has either.
    I would not spend too much on a cable. Like you said, your laptop is not going to produce the kind of quality picture available from a moderately priced and dedicated dvd player.

Blue Jean Cables are of high quality and are reasonably priced.

Thread Information