Klipsch SB-2's for HT?

Printable View

• 10-29-2004, 08:11 AM
    C Bennett
    Klipsch SB-2's for HT?
    Hey I was looking around at speakers on the net(been on vacation all week) and came across a good deal on Klipsch SB-1's/SB-2's . I looked at the reviews here and saw they review very well(better in fact than the newer RB series that replaced(?) them). I have heard the RB-10/15/25 and did not mind the sound(I know some dont like the horn sound but they sounded fine to me and it will be mostly HT 90% and some music mabey 10%. Well let me know what you think of theses SB-1/SB-2's and if they are a good HT speaker.
    Only thing about the RB's is on the few reviews that I could find some guy said they are NOT put together as well(the RB line) as the others he has had in the Klipsch line. The local dealer has the RB-15 for $300 and the SB-1 I can get for $129 and the SB-2 for $149.
  • 10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
    s dog
    S-3s
    Quote:

Originally Posted by C Bennett
    Hey I was looking around at speakers on the net(been on vacation all week) and came across a good deal on Klipsch SB-1's/SB-2's . I looked at the reviews here and saw they review very well(better in fact than the newer RB series that replaced(?) them). I have heard the RB-10/15/25 and did not mind the sound(I know some dont like the horn sound but they sounded fine to me and it will be mostly HT 90% and some music mabey 10%. Well let me know what you think of theses SB-1/SB-2's and if they are a good HT speaker.
    Only thing about the RB's is on the few reviews that I could find some guy said they are NOT put together as well(the RB line) as the others he has had in the Klipsch line. The local dealer has the RB-15 for $300 and the SB-1 I can get for $129 and the SB-2 for $149.

I have sb-3s for mains and sc-3 for center and ss-1s for sides and back surrounds they sound great for HT very easy to drive ,now as far as music goes not as good
  • 10-29-2004, 09:40 AM
    Klipsch
    I compared several bookshelf speakers in my home including the Synergy and Reference Klipsch lines. I ended up purchasing a pair of Reference speakers on eBay (wasn't willing to pay full price) and have yet to be dissapointed. They are fantastic, especially for home theater. That said, I use them for music, classical music listening and they are now connected to a stereo receiver through a sub. I consider this my comparison system and must say that very little gear I have compared this to has met my expectations.

Regarding the Synergy, they are less well built and the horns are smaller if you compare the speakers with the same size in the reference line. The sound is almost identical, but I also unscrewed the cheap plastic feet on the Synergys and put them on spikes which made an audible difference. The Synergys typically don't have the range of the reference line and using a spectrum analyzer on my laptop, I could see differences in the sound, although I had trouble hearing this. For the money (usually about 1/2 of what you would pay for the Reference line), the Synergy's are the best value out there. Just make sure you spike them or put them on a good pair of stands.

FYI, for my home theater, I chose a less colored and more neutral speaker setup from Axiom. The Klipsch's have a different purpose for me. BTW, if you like more modern music (Rock, Hip Hop, etc.) then the Klipsch's will also not dissapoint, just make sure you get a good sub with it (HSU, SVS, come to mind), and not a Klipsch sub.
  • 10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
    C Bennett
    Thanks, I will be running a Atlantic Technology T70 sub with them. I talked to the local dealer and he basicaly said that they have the reference series now and that the Synergy is not their cheaper line that they sell to Best Buy and places like that. He did say that the S-1/S-2 have been around a while and that they used to sell them and they were good speakers. I just don't know if I can get myself to spend $150 over the S2's for a set of RB-15's.