Forum Regular

Home theater for my new home

I just bought a house and I want to get a good, quality home theater system. My reference right now is the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 (computer speakers). I know they're not as good as most mid-range HT systems, but that's what I've been using. I have a huge openness to my house which is probably going to be hard to fill. This is the living room I plan to put everything in:

I want a Receiver that has HDMI switching, so I was looking at the Onkyo TXSR803B or the Denon AVR-3806. I'm looking to spend about $2000 on the speakers and receiver. I'm hoping not to have to buy an amp on top of everything since they're too expensive for a good one. For speakers, I was wondering if the SVS SBS-01 system would be sufficient for such a large volume room. For the TV, I plan on buying a 50-60" DLP.

Any help or recommendations is much appreciated.

Forum Regular
    you can get some good and bad recommendations from the web and forums like this however with just a picture and a general idea of what you want will not do you justice. I strongly urge you to seek out a custom installer in your area that will provide a home inspection

Forum Regular
    Avmaster was being very kind.

From the information you provided and the photos your room is very challenging to achieve the very best result. I agree that you need the services of a professional. Most av shops will come out fee of charge, offer some alternatives and provide a cost estimate. I suspect you'll need to bump up the budget to get what you want.

Forum Regular
    I'm not looking for perfection, I'm mostly looking for a set of speakers that will do well in a large volume space such as mine. There is no one around here that does free consulting. It's "free" if you have them install your stuff. I have a test DVD w/ the tones and all that, I know relatively what I'm doing and I have a good ear, so I'd much rather do it myself anyway. What sounds good to me doesn't always sound good to the next person either. If it's going to be that much more than $2000 for a good setup, then I'd like to know what other people have used in a large space so I can get a good idea. I have no furniture yet (and I obviously wouldn't set it up the way the previous owners did in that picture) and I plan on putting some plants and stuff in places that would cause strange reverb.

As I said, just want some good sets of speakers to check out and see what works well. once I have everything wired, I can test a few sets out and bring them back if I don't like them.

No offense to our resident dealers/installers such as avmaster, but I truly enjoyed researching and installing my own equipment and it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. It's all part of the hobby.

Tricker,
    Either of the avr's you've chosen will serve you well. Your room size doesn't appear to be that much of a problem, at least from the pics. If we figure the avr's going to chew up half of your budget, you're not going to have a lot left over for speakers. We are talking about 5 separate speakers plus a powered sub!

That said, Cambridge Soundworks offers huge bang for the buck. CSW was founded by the late, great Henry Kloss (legendary designer of AR, Advent, and KLH). Our own Geoffcin, a moderator and reviewer here at AR, uses a CSW HT himself. They have a number of systems that fall into your price range. Here's a link.

If you can stretch your budget by a couple of hundred, you could build a heckuva system with these Epos speakers from audioadvisor.com. Four ELS3's and a CC will put you just under $1K. Add a Dayton Titanic sub kit from partsexpress and you'll have terrific little system that will sound at home either with HT or hi-rez music. If you don't like the sound of the Epos, aa has a 30 day return policy, but I think you'll like 'em .

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by topspeed; 07-07-2006 at 11:04 PM.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input.

OK, the Epos are 4ohm speakers, so it looks like I'd be better off with the Onkyo in that case. Does anyone have any other input as to whether the Epos, Dayton, and Onkyo will work well together? Or any other recommendations to try? I'd love to get as much feedback as possible from people that have these components or have at least heard them.

I've seen the Onkyo for $650
    I've always heard a good 12" sub is the best for all around performance, so I'd get the 12" Dayton = <$550
    ELS-3 x 4 = <$600
    ELS-3 CC = <$300

So that puts me at about $2100 which I could deal w/. Problem then becomes mounting them on the walls...those are good sized speakers, but I should be able to find a place. It'll probably have to be higher and angled down, which might be a good thing anyway since it'd go more into the objects in the room rather than into the open space above. Unless I've got that backwards. It's not going to be in any corners, so the sound issues from that won't be a problem.

As I said, any input would be great. I'm sure I'll run into some things that need fixing, but I just want a good head start to get things moving. Some basic guidelines. I've picked up a lot from these forums and my friends already, but specific info directed towards me is always best.

Thread Information