• 02-20-2005, 11:19 AM
    rockphantom
    ISO Best Flat CRT 27 Inch for Bedroom & Concert DVD Viewing
    Greetings,

I am in the market for a 27 inch flat screen CRT for my bedroom.
    Audio quality is most important to me as I watch many rock concerts on DVD.
    I don't think I have sufficient space in my bedroom for a proper H/T set up.
    Therefore, I am looking for a set that can deliver exceptional video and outstanding Hi-Fi audio for musical performances.
    I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $400-600.

I did make the foolish mistake of buying a Sony Trinitron FS24100 in September of 2003, and do not want to make that same mistake again.
    I do prefer a name brand, but I have learned that in 2005, Name Brands guarantee nothing in regards to quality.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Milan
  • 02-20-2005, 12:04 PM
    AVMASTER
    Samsung TXP2675wh
  • 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
    rockphantom
    Thanks, can you please tell me why you recommend this set?

Regards,

Milan
  • 02-20-2005, 02:37 PM
    AVMASTER
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockphantom
    Thanks, can you please tell me why you recommend this set?

Regards,

Milan

I'm sorry, i should have done that at first. Given your requirements, it's the best bang for the buck
    1. Widescreen
    2. ATSC tuner
    3. DVI input
    4. 20watt audio system with adjustable EQ ( excellent for gaming and Concert dvds )
    5. pricing at $700. its above your budget but well worth it
  • 02-20-2005, 10:21 PM
    evil__betty
    Tough find!
    Sorry, bud - those are some pretty tight requirements! A t.v. to fit "a set that can deliver exceptional video and outstanding Hi-Fi audio for musical performances. I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $400-600", will be hard to find. You will more than likely have to sacrifice on sound quality as television speakers sound like tin cans even when compared to cheap HTB (home theater in a box). Good luck. Spring for a 30"HD set from either Sony (yeah, I know, you don't like 'em) or LG. Both look stunning..... but buy a pair of book shelf speakers and a cheap reciever if you want any kind of decent sound.
  • 02-21-2005, 08:19 AM
    rockphantom
    Thanks for your input Evil_Betty.

Milan
  • 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM
    Smokey
    Panasonic 27SL14 ($329 at Sears) might be your best bet in term of reliability and picture quality.

And as Betty mentioned, sound quality from TV itself is mediocre at best (even for more expensive TVs).
    Panasonic Tvs have a feature called Variable Audio Output which you connect to better quality computer speaker (preferably Sub/satellite type), and you can control the volume using TV's volume control. Very convenient and will give you excellent audio quality.
  • 02-21-2005, 07:12 PM
    hershon
    You May As Well Get An HD Widescreen for that Money
    I have a 30" Samsung HD Ready Widescreen that I got for about $700 new. I'm assuming your using this set in the bedroom as you talk about Space Limitations. If the 30" is too big you can get a 26 or 27" widescreen at a good price for under $700 from Circuit City, Best Buy, Target & some other chains.

Quote:

Greetings,

Therefore, I am looking for a set that can deliver exceptional video and outstanding Hi-Fi audio for musical performances.

I did make the foolish mistake of buying a Sony Trinitron FS24100 in September of 2003, and do not want to make that same mistake again.
    I do prefer a name brand, but I have learned that in 2005, Name Brands guarantee nothing in regards to quality.

Thanks!

Milan

• 02-21-2005, 09:25 PM
    s dog
    klh receiver
    Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks!

Milan

I had a pair of jbl 610s bookshelf speakers laying around so when i moved my old tv up to the bedroom i hooked them up to a klh 100 watts x 2 receiver that i picked up at best buy for $89.00 bucks, then i hooked up a vcr dvd combo to the receiver, sounds real good for a bedroom system with out spending a lot of money, make or buy a tv stand to put the tv, receiver and combo on and a pair of speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers ,this should not take up to much room and will sound a lot better than any tv you can get for $600.00 bucks.
  • 02-22-2005, 06:34 AM
    rockphantom
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Right now I am leaning towards getting a 27 inch TV set, and a hi-fi audio system so that I can have the best of both worlds.

I am sure that I can squeeze some sort of H/T setup into my 12x12 room.
    Audio quality is most important to me, so I am not going to rely on a TV set for audio reproduction.

I am going to sign up at consumerreports.org soon, so that I can make a thoroughly educated purchase.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Milan