Forum Regular

Scanner Question Slightly Off Topic

I've been using HP Scanjet 5200C for at least 5 years now & the quality has always been excellent. One problem I've been having for over a year is about 25% of the time, it won't scan at all but if I reboot a couple of times eventually it will work again. I am convinced this is not a software problem but a problem with the hardware. The scanner originally cost me around $250 or so new. I got to the point where I'm sick of this.

What I did without doing some further research (i.e. read reviews) was order a new HP Scanner 3970 for around $58 new including shipping on Ebay, about $50 less what it would cost me retail. However, after reading some reviews, I'm having second thoughts & am debating not opening the box, taking a loss & reselling it on Ebay.

My question is, as this is a fairly new HP scanner, will I get much better or the same results of my scanner that is 5 years old? If so, then its worth me opening up and trying. Any thoughts, or recommendations? I want to stick with HP. If you have a better model to recommend please let me know.

Forum Regular

depends on what you're using it for...

if it's for photos, flatbed scanners are limited in their ability to capture tonal range, compared to dedicated film/slide scanners. but the gap seems to be narrowing, especially if you're willing to pay around $400-500. look for dmax of around 4.0 or better. cheap flatbeds (under a couple hundred or even more) won't provide that spec probably, because they aren't serious photo scanners. i think you have to go into that $4-500 price range for serious photo scanning. for everyday photo work - internet posing, copies of old stuff for relatives to share, eg - a lot of cheaper scanners should be fine, as they would be for document scanning.

Thread Information