Forum Regular

Increased my A/V Receiver budget, now what to get?

I have gone form $400, to $500, and have settled on $600 now that I found out how MUCH my bonus is. I had my eyes on the HK AVR-330, HK, DPR-1001, and Marantz SR5400. Now that my budget has increased, should I look at other options? I've heard things about Outlaw, and Nad. If this does open the door to many more options in my HT system, should I look at these and what others? Thanks for being so patient and answering all my crazy posts.

cam
    First off, write down all the features you want your receiver to have and think of future upgrades such as having a receiver that has pre-outs. Then go out and listen to every receiver out there that is in your budget. Bring some of your own cd's and dvd's ones that you are familiar with. Use your own ears to decide because there are alot of people on this board who will recommend the receiver that they are using. Only you will know which sound you will be able to live with. If there is a sony or denon, yammy or even a kenwood out there that sounds go to you and goes loud enough and has all the features you want and is with in your budget then buy it. Some companys have problems with reliability but you would have to post that question on this board to get results on peoples experience will receiver failures.

Forum Regular

Sound advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
    I have gone form $400, to $500, and have settled on $600 now that I found out how MUCH my bonus is. I had my eyes on the HK AVR-330, HK, DPR-1001, and Marantz SR5400. Now that my budget has increased, should I look at other options? I've heard things about Outlaw, and Nad. If this does open the door to many more options in my HT system, should I look at these and what others? Thanks for being so patient and answering all my crazy posts.
    It's definitely hard deciding on a unit that will provide years of enjoyment. I to want to be sure my money isn't wasted. The one thing about today's recievers is that I find them trying to jam more bells and whistles then ever before. This is something that I really don't care for. I had auditioned all of the brand recievers that you mentioned. I ended up with a NAD unit. I felt the NAD unit was better suited to my 4 ohm speakers, and was accurate in their power ratings. My other option would be the Harmon Kardon. It really depends on the speakers that you have and how loud you want to play it.

Thread Information