Forum Regular

Question I'm new...How do I set up 7.1?

Ok guys, I am a newbie and don't know much so please bear with me...I have a Harman/Kardon AVR320 and 5.1 set up right now...So how do I do that? Can I even do that? I don't have any more sperak outputs but I do have 6-channel Direct Inputs and 8-channel direct inputs. Thanks in advance gus I know its a dumb qustion but I have no clue what to do so once again thanks

If you don't have the speaker outputs for 7.1 then no you can't hook up 7.1

Forum Regular

Question

So whats 8-channel direct inputs for?

Quote Originally Posted by Iskreemman
    So whats 8-channel direct inputs for?
    That's a very good question. Sometimes, the rear panel of a receiver can be a strange place and the labeling can be confusing. The best place to answer these questions would be right in the owner's manual that came with it.

Does your receiver offer a selection option for 7.1 at all? That would be a good place to start. If so, then follow, in the manual, how you would implement it. If not, then that should be a clue to the actual answer.

Here's the closest thing I could find on the current H/K site. Maybe this will help. You might want to explore this site for more info.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%20235&sType=C

Yeah that's kind of strange..the spec sheet touts "7.1 channel input" but then the power is 55 watts by 5 channels. It's only a 5 channel amp but has 7.1 channel inputs!

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    That's a very good question. Sometimes, the rear panel of a receiver can be a strange place and the labeling can be confusing. The best place to answer these questions would be right in the owner's manual that came with it.

Does your receiver offer a selection option for 7.1 at all? That would be a good place to start. If so, then follow, in the manual, how you would implement it. If not, then that should be a clue to the actual answer.

Here's the closest thing I could find on the current H/K site. Maybe this will help. You might want to explore this site for more info.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%20235&sType=C
    You see if I go to my OSD menu it lets me select 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1.....but I'm gonna keep reading and hopefully I'll find my answer thanks a lot for the reply and info

Forum Regular
    Sometimes, as is the case in my Pioneer reciever, the 7.1 option is available if you buy another 2 channel amp. The back of the reciever has a "Surround Rear Center" output to get connected to another amp. So the reciever just comes with 5 channels of power, but the option to add more later.

Thread Information