Forum Regular

If I have Pro Logic IIx would I still need demodulator

I have Yamaha RXV 2400 receiver and I hook up my laser disk player.Well I know if I use DTS I don't need a demodulator,but if I use AC-3 DD that you are to use a demodulator.I thought if you have Pro logic that Pro logic IIx is to use it to seperate sounds to all of my speakers.Another word,do I need to buy AC-3 demodulator.THX

The Dolby Pro Logic family of products work with analog stereo signals.

So, if you have the ubiquitious red/white RCA analog stsreo outputs on your player, you're good to go. FWIW, I don't know squat about laserdics players so this is just a guess that it has them.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Mark,I do have the red / white RCA's.I give that a try!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    No demodulator needed. Prologic IIx is a analog decoder. The red and white will do just fine.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by pate
    I have Yamaha RXV 2400 receiver and I hook up my laser disk player.Well I know if I use DTS I don't need a demodulator,but if I use AC-3 DD that you are to use a demodulator.I thought if you have Pro logic that Pro logic IIx is to use it to seperate sounds to all of my speakers.Another word,do I need to buy AC-3 demodulator.THX
    If your LD player has Dolby AC-3 RF output you need a receiver that has the AC-3 RF input to playback Dolby Digital.
    If your LD does not have AC-3 RF output then you can only playback in Pro-Logic.
    If your receiver does not have AC-3 RF input and your LD player is has an AC-3 RF output you will need an RF Demodulator to play back Dolby Digital encoded laser discs.
    The site below has them:
    http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I looked up your receiver and it does not have AC-3 RF input.
    I provided a link in my first post but have since found several of the Yamaha demodulators on ebay.
    http://search.ebay.com/YAMAHA-APD-1_...YAMAHAQ20APD-1
    I don't know which LD Player you have I so I could not look it up.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular

Thanks alot for all of your help,that means everybody

Thanks to all

Pate,
    what LD player model do you have?

Forum Regular

Sorry taking long to get back with you,Pioneer CLD-D704

My disk player does have AC-3 on it.You are right,the 2400 receiver does not.THX

For what it's worth,...

My disk player does have AC-3 on it.You are right,the 2400 receiver does not.THX
    :AC-3" is simply another way to say "Dolby Digital". SO, if you have Dolby Digital inputs, you're good to go.

Forum Regular
    Mark, so you saying that I am good to go as for as buying a Yamaha demodulator DD 5.1.Thx

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    :AC-3" is simply another way to say "Dolby Digital". SO, if you have Dolby Digital inputs, you're good to go.
    Mark,
    Laser Disc dolby digital is a different signal than that of DVD. Laser disc uses AC-3 RF.
    The receiver must have a built in AC-3 RF (radio frequency) decoder for Laser Disc.
    If the receiver does not have that input for Laser Disc that an outboard decoder is needed.
    http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/YamahaAPD-1.htm
    Detailed explanation on Laser Disc AC-3 RF: http://www.thadlabs.com/LD_info/ac-3_demods.txt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If I have Pro Logic IIx would I still need demodulator-yamahaapd1schemas.jpg  
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 10-08-2004 at 07:43 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Big THX again Mark for all your help!

Big THX again Mark for all your help!
    I'm not Mark, This is Brandon
    I was just showing you and Mark that Doby Digital AC-3 & AC-3 RF are not the same.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Brandon,I am sorry for calling you Mark.I want to thank you for all of your help.I just don't know if it is worth the price $130.00 or just use the way I am now.It does look like there is that much to it,I was wondering why someone couldn't walk in a Radio Shack store and build it.I could buy 4-5 DVD's for the price of adding demodulator.What do you think!

Brandon,I am sorry for calling you Mark.I want to thank you for all of your help.I just don't know if it is worth the price $130.00 or just use the way I am now.It does look like there is that much to it,I was wondering why someone couldn't walk in a Radio Shack store and build it.I could buy 4-5 DVD's for the price of adding demodulator.What do you think!
    Pate,
    It all depends on how many Dolby Digital Laser Discs you have, if you have more than a 130.00 dollers worth then in my opinion it would be worth it because it really makes them come alive.
    My saving Privite Ryan AC-3 RF it worth it alone. My receiver has it built in.
    Very few new receivers have that input anymore, so I am thinking of buying one so if I ever change out my receiver I will always be able to enjoy my DD LD's.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    You sound alot like me.I really enjoy my movies,more action the louder I play it, and the more I like it.I have two MK subs that shakes things upstair.Thanks Alot,you are right about checking how many laser disks.I have more laser disks that are DTS than I have DD.Later Dude!

Forum Regular
    I have and use the APD-1 demodulator with my Yamaha RX-V2095 and Pioneer CLV-700 combi-player. Setup is the same as indicated in the graphic above. If you're planning to keep the LD player, by all means purchase the APD-1 while they're still available. When I purchased mine they retailed for about $100, I got mine for $89, but at the time people were paying over $130 for them on ebay. I guess they were a little hard to find.

Pro Logic II is a good format, much better than the original, but AC-3 on laserdisc sounds pretty awsome. I don't believe there's a lot of AC-3 laserdiscs out there, but from what I've heard the ones encoded with AC-3 are very dynamic and well worth the price of the APD-1.

BTW, anyone interested in the Original Star Wars boxed set? It includes the three original movies in CAV format so the special effects not available on the CLV discs are available and a booklet which hasn't been opened.

Quote Originally Posted by kfalls
    I have and use the APD-1 demodulator with my Yamaha RX-V2095 and Pioneer CLV-700 combi-player. Setup is the same as indicated in the graphic above. If you're planning to keep the LD player, by all means purchase the APD-1 while they're still available. When I purchased mine they retailed for about $100, I got mine for $89, but at the time people were paying over $130 for them on ebay. I guess they were a little hard to find.

Pro Logic II is a good format, much better than the original, but AC-3 on laserdisc sounds pretty awsome. I don't believe there's a lot of AC-3 laserdiscs out there, but from what I've heard the ones encoded with AC-3 are very dynamic and well worth the price of the APD-1.

BTW, anyone interested in the Original Star Wars boxed set? It includes the three original movies in CAV format so the special effects not available on the CLV discs are available and a booklet which hasn't been opened.
    I have the Digitaly remastered box set with additional scenes THX & Dolby Digital.
    You may try selling it on Ebay.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Thread Information