Forum Regular

I need help with a home theater setup

So I am looking at getting a whole new setup for myself. I DO NOT want a HTIB. I am going to build it up as I get the money. This is what I have found that I like and can afford:

Fluance ES-1 Higher Fidelity Two-way Floorstanding Pillar Speakers
    http://fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html
    $400

I would need to get the rears and center later though....

Fluance SX-HTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System
    $300

This looks like a good starter package that would work for me, but it's not as nice as the ES-1.

So I also need help on a receiver for my system. I was thinking of just getting something at Bestbuy for $300. But I really don't know what to look for, and thats why I am asking.

Suspended
    You might want to take a look at www.crutchfield.com They will show you several brands of receivers, their prices and more importantly there are several helpful articles to give some one just starting some good basic information. Best Buy just carries entry level stuff, at least consider a couple other retailers with other brands.

Your question is some what ambiguous. You should look around to see what features you will need in a receiver. Will you want video switching? Will you need HDMI and version 1.3? Do you expect to have a HD disc player at some point? What other sources do you have, ie CD, turntable etc.? 5, 6, 7.1? How much power do you need, which will depend on room size and how sensitive the Fluance are. Want Ipod docking, XM capability, USB? Want preamp outputs? Recommended, by the way. Want a universal remote to run your other gear? Not meaning to add to any confusion, I just don't want you to rush out to buy a cheap receiver to later find that's not what you want or need and be without critical features.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for reply, I know you must get alot of these questions. I am trying not to go out and get something cheap, but $400 for a receiver is pushing it. I also know that is hard to get something nice for that little. As for power, the room size is about 16X20, with a open room attached to it. The sensitivity ratings are on the website, could you point me in the right direction for this area. I don't want to get something thats underpowered.
    Things I want:
    At least 5.1
    Video switching would be very nice
    The correct power to run either the Fluance SX-HTB+ 5 or the ES-1

Don't need:
    Digital audio outputs
    Turntable
    Satellite Radio
    Multi room flexablity

Plus:
    IPod connection
    USB
    Preamp outputs
    Universal Remote

How 'bout $429. The Onkyo 605 is on sale at Crutchfield for that price. It's worth going slightly over your budget and will give you all kinds of future flexibility.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...TXS605B&tp=179

Suspended
    That 605 would be the deal. Onkyo is one of my favorite mass merchant receivers and this particular one has a very good auto set up feature which can be handy as well as being feature packed.

90dB is a good average sensitivity and shouldn't be hard to push. You can't tell much by specs but the Fluance models you posted look not to play very low. I'm sure with the Onkyo you will get a good punch but you may not get much very low end until you add a sub. They use titanium tweeters and I really like the sound of the titanium products I've heard.

Let me know if the 605 would be out of the question and I can check to see what a cheaper option could be.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the information. I spent time looking at Crutchfield and really liked the website. Learned alot about receivers and speakers. I am not going to buy tell after Christmas, so I will ask one more time about recommendations before I buy. Thanks again for the input

Suspended
    Prices and deals will probably change after Christmas, maybe even be better. I looked at Crutchfield and that Onkyo 605 is definitely the best deal, price per performance and features. It's the least amout of money that will get you the HDMI 1.3 that will actually transmit the audio and most current audio decoding. That's excluding brands like Sony which I don't recommend. Both Yamaha and Denon will cost more with those features unless they follow with some kind of discount. And, there's other places to buy that may be cheaper. Crutchfield is great with support and customer service though which I feel is worth a few extra dollars at purchase. Keep in mind they are also now doing free shipping and never any sales tax unless you live in their state. If you have never bought from them before and say i referred you it will, or should, get you an additional $25.00. I haven't looked at that guideline in a long time. If you are interested in doing that at some point let me know and I can see what the deal is and PM you my name and stuff.

Thread Information