• 01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
    kexodusc
    I need a guinea pig...this is too good to be true!
  • 01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc

Didja ever hear the phrase ... ... if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is ?

This is a scam - no ifs, ands, or buts. Plus the claim that you don't have to open up the TV set that will be used to make this wonder-toy is misleading to the max! No, you don't have to open up the TV (and make some changes to the wiring of the deflection yoke), but if you don't any and all text that appears on the screen will be BACKWARDS! As long as you're just viewing images of people, animals, landscapes, vehicles, etc. you won't notice the difference - but if any writing appears on screen ... it will be very difficult to read!

Also, what's conveniently not mentioned is the fact that the brightness of the images will be very poor to put it mildly. So poor in fact that the viewing room will have to be totally dark with no lights on at all. Does that sound like fun? I didn't think so. Another thing that's conveniently not mentioned is that the TV set being used will have to have it's brightness and contrast cranked to the max to get any reasonable looking images on the screen - thus shortening it's life expectancy to a significant degree.

To sum it all up into one word ... FUGGITABOUDIT!

I just saved you $30-40 (at least). You can thank me now or later.
  • 01-29-2004, 08:04 AM
    Worf101
    Ah Woodman... you skeptic you....
    Good thing you weren't around 150 some odd years ago... PT Barnum woulda had you whacked. Hey, how's a guy supposed ta make a living with you around busting bubbles and puncturing claims... that's awful. LOL.... Good work man. Keep em flying!!!!

Da Worfster :p
  • 01-29-2004, 09:05 AM
    kexodusc
    woodman:
    "Didja ever hear the phrase ... ... if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is ?"

- Yeah, I drew reference to it in the thread title...you didn't think for a minute I was considering...
    This crook is selling them for 7 bucks or something, nobody'd be crazy enough to pay 30-40 bucks for one of these...well maybe the crowd the buys speakers out of white vans in hi-fi store parking lots, but that's it.
    I thought this was pretty funny when I first saw it, the scary part is the guy's feedback, people are generally satisfied with it...he either has a big family, or buyers are so embarassed they bought the thing that they give great feedback to save face. You've probably scared off any would-be guinea pig now...
  • 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    woodman: This crook is selling them for 7 bucks or something, nobody'd be crazy enough to pay 30-40 bucks for one of these....

You missed the TOTAL cost - like I'm sure many people might. Yeah, he's selling the LENS for 7 bucks ... then you add shipping and insurance and once you get it, you have to go out and buy some additional materials to make some sort of a "box" to house the contraption in ... which he admits will cost an additional 20 bucks or so. That's why I said that I saved you 30-40 quid - not that somebody would pay 30-40 for JUST the lens.
  • 01-29-2004, 10:22 AM
    JoshBWatkins
    That one is definitely a scam...however, and NO I don't work for these people, however I have put one together myself, and let me tell you 1024x768 resolution with an 8 foot diagonal screen on my dorm room wall definitely kicks ass....cost me right under 400, which there is no way you can buy a real projector with that resolution for, and if you did you would have to be in the darkest dungeon to see the thing (ansi output) but if your serious about it www.lumenlab.com worth every penny...you guys might have some bad ass speakers, but thats nothing without a bad ass tv!