AR Newbie Registered Member

Receiver with best video capabilities

I’m looking at the following receivers: Onkyo 875, Yamaha RX-V3800 and Sony ES 5300. My primary concern is with the video capabilities of each. More specifically, I want a receiver that passes HDMI video signals without distortion and does the best job of converting analog signals to pass through HDMI also. (I’m also a little unclear on whether that conversion requires an actual upconversion or not--and if it does, which video processing does the best job.)

It seems to me that the audio capabilities of all the receivers are pretty great--and now the biggest distinction among them comes on the video side. If anyone can recommend a receiver in the price range of these three that does video better--that’d be much appreciated also.

Quote Originally Posted by jlahk
    I’m looking at the following receivers: Onkyo 875, Yamaha RX-V3800 and Sony ES 5300. My primary concern is with the video capabilities of each. More specifically, I want a receiver that passes HDMI video signals without distortion and does the best job of converting analog signals to pass through HDMI also. (I’m also a little unclear on whether that conversion requires an actual upconversion or not--and if it does, which video processing does the best job.)

It seems to me that the audio capabilities of all the receivers are pretty great--and now the biggest distinction among them comes on the video side. If anyone can recommend a receiver in the price range of these three that does video better--that’d be much appreciated also.
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing myself. I hate having to run my video through a receiver versus directly into my tv. It makes no sense to me and is completely backassed. I have a Blu-ray player currently running straight into my tv, but I want to get a nice receiver to take advantage of the HDMI audio capabilities. Does any specific receiver or brand do a better job with the HDMI video pass through or is this not much of an issue?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jlahk

This is a pet peeve of mine, and I HAVE MENTIONED IT BEFORE.
    When getting a receiver you need to concentrate on the audio, that is its primary job.
    Any codec that you can be concerned with should be decoded in the player, or passed through the digital or 5.1 (7.1?) out. Any video should be sent directly to the TV
    Any good universal remote can turn the tv input to whatever source the receiver is turned to at the same time, any audio you can get over HDMI should be available from some other output.
    In a few years video switching might be a good idea on a receiver, but the industry is curently in "crazy" mode, and theres a good chance any receiver you get now will have the video options rendered obsolete.
    Outlaw audio has a great prepro, amp combo, but they are having to sell it cheap, because its got DVI, true, an adapter can work but why bother when you can get a receiver with HDMI?
    My receiver has componet, wideband transcoders, etc, all useless because HDMI looks so much better, I just use the audio features.
    And a lot of receivers today use hdmi 1.1, the latest is hdmi 1.3, next year who knows?
    Could be some fiber optic or wi-fi space age crappolla, currently there is no concern in the industry whatsoever about obsoleting your gear, none at all.
    So you can pay attention to switching options for video, and in a few years not be able to use them because they are obsolete.
    Or pay attention to the main function of a receiver, handling the sound, and let your TV handle the video. It will shorten the signal path to your set also, it cant help your video to pass through a receiver before going to your monitor
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

LOOK at it this way, my 2005 receiver was brand new in late 2004, it had componet
    switching, totally up to date.
    Three years later the industry has gone from componet to DVI, to HDMI 1.1, to HDMI 1.3.
    Thats FOUR friggin standards in three years! total madness.
    When these idiots get their act together, THEN worry about video switching.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information