Forum Regular

how heavy a center channel can I put on my TV?

I have a Toshiba 51h84 tv, and was curious about how heavy a center channel the top can safely hold. The manual doesn't seem to have any limits or anything listed anywhere. I have a Paradigm Studio CC v2, it weighs about 30-35 pounds. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I have a Toshiba 51h84 tv, and was curious about how heavy a center channel the top can safely hold. The manual doesn't seem to have any limits or anything listed anywhere. I have a Paradigm Studio CC v2, it weighs about 30-35 pounds. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
    Should'nt be a problem the weight is distribute all around.If you want just buy one of the shelf that can de added on top of TV .Pat.P

Forum Regular
    I have a Legacy Silver Screen center channel which weighs approx 45lbs. I had it setting on top of my Pioneer PRO-100 for many years without harming the speaker or the TV. I replaced it with a Hitachi 57S715 which doesn't have a top shelf to set it on. I currently have the center sitting on a speaker stand below the TV's screen. It works and sounds good, but is a bit in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    That really depends on the TV. I have an old Mitsubishi 32" direct view CRT and put a Studio CC right on top of that with no problem. With the CRT RPTVs, I would assume that most of them can also easily support a center speaker on top.

With a lot of the newer slim profile RPTVs, the top is not wide enough to support a center speaker to begin with, and I've heard that with others the screen frame can warp if subjected to any significant weight. Generally, the bigger CRT RPTVs will support a center speaker, while with the LCD and DLP RPTVs, the cabinets are typically not wide enough for a center speaker. Those would be the ones to watch out for if you're looking for a way to support the center speaker with the TV. As someone else mentioned, you could always add a shelf, and some manufacturers make ones that attach to the TV (it does add weight, but it redistributes some of the weight towards onto the back of the TV).

Forum Regular
    well, my tv has an extended top in the center that seems to be there for the purpose of center channel speakers. I am more worried about the weight issue. I guess I'll call toshiba and get an official word.

Thread Information