Thread: Harmony Remotes

Forum Regular

Harmony Remotes

I just picked a Harmony 600 at Sams Club for $29.00. I love they way it works and controls everything perfectly, but I don't like they way it feels in my hand. So I was looking at the 880 and a few other Harmonys that are shaped like the 880, which I've head and feel much better.

I've read quit a few bad things abou the 880 and it's charging problems and channel and volume buttons failing.

Anyone have any experience with these remotes. Anyone have the Harmony 1, if so how does that feel.

Thanks, jjp

Suspended
    DO NOT GET the 880!

Spend the extra money and get the One

I started out with an 880, then a replacement, then another and another. I informed them of their design flaw, which I'm sure they already knew and told them if they could not supply me with an 880 that worked/charged properly to please upgrade me to the One, which they did. Then just last summer they replaced that due to the bad batch of batteries they supplied and swelled beyond removal.

The One is super and easy to use and setup and I highly recommend it.

PS, I just threw out 3 880s that could no longer be programmed because they remove them from the database when they replace them with another.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    DO NOT GET the 880!

Spend the extra money and get the One

I started out with an 880, then a replacement, then another and another. I informed them of their design flaw, which I'm sure they already knew and told them if they could not supply me with an 880 that worked/charged properly to please upgrade me to the One, which they did. Then just last summer they replaced that due to the bad batch of batteries they supplied and swelled beyond removal.

The One is super and easy to use and setup and I highly recommend it.

PS, I just threw out 3 880s that could no longer be programmed because they remove them from the database when they replace them with another.
    this is good to know. Thanks, jjp

$30 is a great price on the Harmony 600, which was probably a closeout since it's not even listed on Logitech's website anymore. I have the Harmony 650, which is basically the same thing except with a color LCD display. Bought it as a Black Friday special for $40, and I love it. I really like how the remote can be programmed for multiple functions controlling more than one device at a time, which minimizes the need to toggle between different devices.

Yes, I wish it could control more than 5 devices, but the only other remote I regularly use is for my PS3, which would require a Bluetooth attachment anyway.

I hear you on how awkward that remote is to hold in one hand. The battery compartment makes the bottom bulbous and heavy, while the top is much thinner. I've actually gotten used to moving it around in my hand by giving it a quick hitch up or down. The remote needs a quick shake anyway just to activate the LCD soft keys.

I also hear great things about the Harmony One, but it is a lot more expensive and I don't necessarily like having to keep the remote mounted on a charging base. Tradeoff with the 600/650 of course is that you need to replace the batteries (and I've already had to replace the batteries on my 650 after only 1 1/2 months).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Harmony...

I have the Harmony One, been using it for years. I bought it primarily for the old lady who's so technically challenged that I have to open her cans for her. With the H-One she can do everything herself including going from TV to Blu-Ray without disturbing your's truly.

I've had the H-one for sometime now and it's survived all the bumps and bruises daily use can throw at it including a teenaged boy. I use it too as "one touch" to turn everything on and off is just too convenient. Believe me H-One is well worth the extra dosh.

Worf

The Harmony One is my second Harmony, and I like it a lot.

I love how the display lights up when you move it slightly, so there's not button to fumble for in the dark of my HT room. I also like the fact that you don't have to replace batteries.

What I don't like is that it it rarely turns off (or on) all my equipment at the same time. Actually, it's almost always the ceiling-mounted projector, and I realize that if it were in the rack with the other equipment, I probably wouldn't be having this problem.

try standing back a bit when I'm turning everything on or off, but even then it rarely works. I have to hit 'help' and go through the menu (is you A/V processor on? Is you digital cable box on? Is your projector on?) to get it to work.

I still like it, but this part is bothersome.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    I recieve the Harmony One as a Xmas gift. Its the best remote I ever use. I finally set it up today... it replaces four remotes in the bedroom system. Its very easy to set up and use. Its well lit so I don't have to fiddle around with four remotes in the dark. It surpasses the Sony universal remote in the living.room.

Forum Regular
    I've got one with lots of buttons that's a few years old and shaped like a peanut. Dang if it doesn't control every feature on a really old Rotel CDP that I never had a remote for.

Thread Information