HT set-up

Printable View

• 08-03-2004, 04:14 PM
    bboy1234
    HT set-up
    Ok I dont have to say im new you aready know it. I just purchased the panny PT-60lc13 TV and i want to set up a HT system. I have a mid to small living room, but may be moving into a new house with a larger living room. I have basically decided on the Yamaha htr-5760 for my receiver. I am going to set up the 7.1 system. I wanted to get some nice bookself speakers for the front speakers. (i plan on up grading to floor speakers when we move.) I was considering the bose 201 or 301 speakers. for the middle and rear speakers i was going to go with the bose 161 speakers. Im not sure of the sub or the center channel speaker. I want to listen to music as well as enjoy movies.
    I need to keep my speaker costs around 1000.00 I am sure you all will tell me the bose suck so give me some suggestion. Thanks
  • 08-04-2004, 04:05 AM
    bboy1234
    Anyone???
  • 08-04-2004, 06:52 AM
    Worf101
    Unh... you said the "four letter word".....
    BOSE. Not too many folks round here will take you seriously when you throw that name around. Most here consider Bose's current offerings to be overpriced, under designed, overhyped crap. There's alternatives out there that cost less, sound better and are infinately more upgradable than Bose. But that's just my opinion. You can also to a search here and find out just about anything you need to know.

Da Worfster
  • 08-04-2004, 07:03 AM
    Eric Z
    bboy1234-

i suggest going to a local electronics retailer and check out what they have (try to avoid best buy and circuit city- they sometimes don't carry the best stuff. however, they do carry klipsch speakers that are pretty good). if you stick with a established company that specializes in speakers you should be in good shape. a few of these established brands are mirage, energy, canton, definitive technology, M&K, B&W, klipsch. of course there are plenty more, but these are the ones in which i am most familiar. remember, you don't need to go with 7.1 right away (or maybe not even eventually). i recommend going with 5.1 now and then move on up if you really want those extra 2 channels. the only problem is with a $1K budget, you'll get to that amount very quickly. also, you mentioned you would like to upgrade to floorstanding when you move- those can get quite pricey. as long as you have a decent subwoofer, the bookshelf variety should be fine. you can always go with some bookshelf speakers now for your fronts and then eventually move those as your rears. the biggest advice i can give you is to listen to as many speakers as you can. i may have jumped the gun buying my mirages- not that i don't like them (i think they're great), but i feel i didn't comparison shop enough.

you are right about people here and their opinions regarding bose.

i recently picked up the htr5760 receiver and really like it- a lot of good options and powers my speakers very well- a huge improvement over my older sony one.

another piece of advice- spend time putting your HT together. many people get excited and buy something they might regret later. upgrading is a very addicitive thing, so be careful.

one last piece of advice- remember not to pay the full price when you buy from an audio electronics store. usually, they are willing to haggle a bit- especially if you are buying more than just one component, speakers, etc. an example was when i bought a yamaha dvd player yesterday- it was a floor model that retailed for $299- they had it listed for $199 because it was a floor model. i was able to get it for $138. that's another good thing, if you can get a floor model/revious return, go for it. as long as it is in good shape, and they still offer a return policy and warranty.

good luck!
    eric
  • 08-04-2004, 08:44 AM
    Bryan
    What size room will the HT be in at the new place? Will there be any openings into other rooms and, if so, what will there dimensions be?

Here is where you are trying to save money by buying equipment for your future home rather than something just for the interim. Additionally, know the sub can eat up your budget.

Look around for used gear. Build your system slowly. Time is your friend. Get an idea of what sound you enjoy. If you enjoy horns, Klipsch makes fine speakers and could be just the one for you. If you want something that is laid back, Odyssey would be the way to go. If you want something dramatically different, look into nOrh. (Personal plug here, but couple the set of nOrh 4.0s I have for sale for $450 plus shipping with an Adire Audio Rava for $450 and you'll be set for some time.)

For new:

Fluance SX-HTB - $260 delivered
    Fluance AV-BP2 - $100 delivered (sides)
    SVS 25-31PCi (retuned to 22Hz) - $549 plus shipping

Total - $909, plus extra for shipping

Rocket ELT - $999 plus shipping (includes subwoofer)

* Can add PBS (Powered Bass Stand) for the ELTs at $499 plus shipping per pair. These are not subwoofers. Basically, gets you into towers later on.

HSU Ventriloquist/VTF-3 MKII combo - $950 delivered
  • 08-04-2004, 09:26 AM
    kexodusc
    Honorable mention goes out to Athena, decent sound at a pretty low price, which I believe are available at Best Buy or Circuit City. I don't own any personally, but I've been impressed with the few demos I've done.

I must say though, $1000 will go along way on ebay if you're buying Klipsch, PSB, Energy, or Paradigm speakers. Probably a few others brands too...you'll get better speakers for your money buying used.
  • 08-04-2004, 01:14 PM
    bboy1234
    Wow thanks for the info Eric,Bryan, and Kexodusc. I am thanksful for your input. Now Worf if all your intrested in doing is flaming peoples posts and offering no input why even respond. Now i have one more question can the yamaha htr5760 run a 5.1 set-up or only 6.1 and 7.1??? Thanks
  • 08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bboy1234
    Wow thanks for the info Eric,Bryan, and Kexodusc. I am thanksful for your input. Now Worf if all your intrested in doing is flaming peoples posts and offering no input why even respond. Now i have one more question can the yamaha htr5760 run a 5.1 set-up or only 6.1 and 7.1??? Thanks

Well, you were the one who expected a negative reaction to putting together a Bose setup, and there you have it. If you're set on going with the Bose setup, by all means don't let us stop you. It's your decision and your preferences, so what does it matter what we think?

If your true intent is fielding suggestions and you already know what kind of a reaction that Bose will get, then why bring it into the discussion in the first place? There are tons of threads on this board covering the "what home theater speakers for under $1,000 should I get" question. The suggestions that everybody else posted are good places to start, but you need to first figure out several things.

1) Do you intend to buy the whole speaker package at once, or are you open to adding on gradually?
    2) Are you sticking with national chain stores, or are you including local audio stores in your listenings?
    3) Does your budget include a subwoofer?
    4) Are you okay with a 5.1 setup, or do you feel that 6.1 and "7.1" are must haves?
    4a) Do you even have enough room for a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup?
    5) What type of sound are you looking for, and what's your intended use?

Once you get those questions squared away, then you can more logically narrow down your choices and focus your listenings better. Just so you know, any HT receiver can work with as little as two speakers, so long as you correctly switch on and off the speakers in the setup menu. The Yamaha has a virtual surround mode designed to work with two, three, four, or five speaker setups.

If you think Worf's response was flaming, go check out the Cable forum sometime if you want to see how things can get around here.
  • 08-05-2004, 03:34 AM
    kexodusc
    Geez, I thought Worf was polite and honest...not a trace of flame. He took time out of his day to try to prevent you from making a mistake with your money.

Now if he called you a Bose lovin' %&$*@ with your ^*$#)@ stuck in $(@&*&$ on Tuesday, I could see it being construed as a flame...

Lots of good advice (as usual) in Woochifer's post. You should decide first if you want 5.1 NOW, or are you willing to do this in stages in order to obtain the best system for your needs.
    I've seen too many people spend $900 on something they don't like, then turn around a year later and begin to piece-meal their system up to snuff at a cost of triple what it would have been if they started with 2 decent speakers and a receiver.
  • 08-05-2004, 04:34 AM
    kfalls
    bboy1234 was obviously trolling. When he didn't get the reaction he wanted, he tried again. Kudos to woochifer for recognizing it, his response was non-confrontational, polite and informative for a true newbie. bboy1234 may be new to this forum, but I'm willing to bet he's not new to the hobby, or the Bose controversy. BOSE, that horse is dead, let's not beat it anymore.
  • 08-05-2004, 06:07 AM
    Bryan
    You can run the 5760 as a 5.1 receiver. I believe you have to put them in as surround left and surround right rather than surround back.
  • 08-05-2004, 11:34 AM
    pwh03
    yea your right brian.

I have thge 5760 and I run it in 5.1 well 4.1 until today when my center channel arrived.

The YPAO feature will set that up for you though you don't even have to worry about turning different speakers on and off.

I put my system togethere for about 1400 including cables and everything else needed

yamaha htr 5760 $350
    HSU VTF-2 sub $300
    B&W 602 s2 fronts and one running as the center channel $500
    Klipsch sorrounds $100???
    Cheapo DVD player $ 80
    And who really knows who makes all there interconnects $100

I enjoy and it works well for my room.

Some day I'll switch the dvd player by all new fronts put he B&W as the rears and sell the klipsch but the room isn't big enough to warrant that right now (I'm in college)

ahh.. the wonderful sound that "someday" will produce
    good luck
    PH

oh some of my stuff was used.
  • 08-05-2004, 01:13 PM
    bboy1234
    First off i dont love bose never owed bose i was a bestbuy a saw a bose set-up that i was going to get but thankfully found this forum before i purchased them.

Woochifer
    1. I am open to adding not necessary to get whole speaker package at one.

2. I am willing to purchase on line or at any place that sells speakers.

3. The subwoofer is in my budget for 1000.00 but the receiver dosnt count toward my 1G. The 1G is for the speakers/stands/wiring.

4. If the 5760 will do 5.1 i would do that the room i have may not be large enough for 6.1 or 7.1. (but my new house will be). it will be about 1 year before i get in it.

5. I want to listen to various types of music and watch alot of movies.

The panasonic pt60lc13 is the first large screen tv i have ever own before had a 32 inch sony. I also had a 8 year old sony receiver that came with a htib and never really thought it sounded very well. Thanks again for all your feed back.
  • 08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
    bboy1234
    OOPs the sony system didnt even have a sub woofer so i dont know what that makes it just had front center and 2 rears.
  • 08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
    bboy1234
    Ok i have found the following

2 Athena floor speakers as-f1 , 1 Athena Center channel as-c1, 1 Athena sub as-p400, 2 Athena Sat S.5, 2 Athena Stands for the S.5 All for $ 866.21 delivered to my House ya think this would give me good sound with a boomy bass. And is the price ok???
  • 08-05-2004, 04:37 PM
    bboy1234
    Correction WITHOUT A BOOMY BASS.
  • 08-05-2004, 06:07 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bboy1234
    Ok i have found the following

2 Athena floor speakers as-f1 , 1 Athena Center channel as-c1, 1 Athena sub as-p400, 2 Athena Sat S.5, 2 Athena Stands for the S.5 All for $ 866.21 delivered to my House ya think this would give me good sound with a boomy bass. And is the price ok???

Boomy bass is typically more a product of bad room acoustics than anything else. If you have bad acoustics, then ANY subwoofer could sound boomy. If you like the sound of the Athenas, by all means get them. But, seems that you're limiting yourself to what's sold at Best Buy, and those stores are the worst possible places to audition speakers because of the noise and the reflective room acoustics.

Look for a specialty audio/video store. Those stores typically carry more of the higher end brands (and it's not like their entry level speakers are that much more expensive than what Best Buy sells). If your budget is $1,000, then try out some $1,000 speakers, and then work your way down the chain. See what level of sound quality meets your minimum standard. Buying the whole package at the same time, especially in that $1,000 price range, you have a lot of very compromised options, so you need to take your time.

Impatience and impulse buying are why Bose sells so many speakers. People go to stores like Best Buy and buy the first brand that they recognize. Since Bose is the only speaker company that does TV advertising, it stands to reason that people will recognize them first. And the reason they get so much flak is because most of the people on this board have heard the alternatives and know how much more value is out there if you look beyond the name recognition.
  • 08-06-2004, 04:50 PM
    bboy1234
    WELL WELL Thanks to all who gave their opinions and advice. I ended up with the athena system with a Yamaha 5760 receiver. Listening to some music right now and watched part of a movie earlier. I absoultly love the set waiting for the break in period so i can crank it up. YEAH HAW!!!!
  • 08-06-2004, 06:06 PM
    cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Boomy bass is typically more a product of bad room acoustics than anything else. If you have bad acoustics, then ANY subwoofer could sound boomy. If you like the sound of the Athenas, by all means get them. But, seems that you're limiting yourself to what's sold at Best Buy, and those stores are the worst possible places to audition speakers because of the noise and the reflective room acoustics.

Look for a specialty audio/video store. Those stores typically carry more of the higher end brands (and it's not like their entry level speakers are that much more expensive than what Best Buy sells). If your budget is $1,000, then try out some $1,000 speakers, and then work your way down the chain. See what level of sound quality meets your minimum standard. Buying the whole package at the same time, especially in that $1,000 price range, you have a lot of very compromised options, so you need to take your time.

Impatience and impulse buying are why Bose sells so many speakers. People go to stores like Best Buy and buy the first brand that they recognize. Since Bose is the only speaker company that does TV advertising, it stands to reason that people will recognize them first. And the reason they get so much flak is because most of the people on this board have heard the alternatives and know how much more value is out there if you look beyond the name recognition.

I know you said typical, but I have an example where it was the sub and not the room. Paradigm ps-1000 placed in a corner, BOOMY-BLOATED and any other word that relates. Then I got a PW-2200 and placed it in the exact same spot and holy mack, it just sounded killer. Sometimes a sub swap works with no other treatments.
  • 08-08-2004, 12:34 PM
    bboy1234
    Hard to imagine a better sounding system for the money. Good grisp base that isnt boomy fills the room from the sub. Sounds awsome with music and movies. The speakers have a 50-100 hr break in period so i havent cranked it up but so far so good.
  • 08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
    HokieVT
    Note: The SX-HTB will cost you about $320 delivered, not $260