Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HT 2.0 Upgrade Begins: 50" 1080p Panny has landed

Aside from my SACD player purchase three years ago, my home theater 1.0 has remained relatively unchanged for the better part of five years. For about the same amount of time, I've contemplated upgrading to a HDTV, but all of the technologies had a significant shortcoming and/or high price point that kept me on the sidelines. It wasn't until 1080p plasma and 120 Hz LCD flat panels hit the market last year that I revisited the HDTV upgrade.

Well, today the first component of the 2.0 upgrade arrived.

Yes, I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded the monitor to a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma (model TH-C50FD18, which is the same thing as the TH-50PZ80U). In my evaluations, I consistently found that the Panny plasmas provided the best balance between performance and price, and it was only a matter of when. Well, this month's Costco circular had a manufacturer's coupon for the 50" Pannys, bringing the price down to $1,400. Along with their generous 90-day return policy, standard doubling of the factory warranty, and free shipping, this turned the question of when into NOW.

So far, I've only done rudimentary adjustments and have yet to do any critical viewing, given that I still have to upgrade the video sources. But, using just a pair of rabbit ears borrowed from one of our old 20" CRT TVs, I was able to pull in more than 20 digital channels. Not much HD content on the air this afternoon, so I've yet to do a lot of HD viewing. But, so far I'd have to say that the picture looks quite good.

Right now, I'm doing the burn-in procedures recommended by the regulars over at the AVS Forum (i.e., using the stretch mode, etc. for the first 100 hours) before breaking out my Digital Video Essentials disc for screen calibration.

NEXT STEPS

The immediate next step is to upgrade my sources. I've readied my Directv service for the HD upgrade (I have a HR22 satellite receiver waiting for the installer), and ordered a 20' HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable. I'm also making a WAF compromise in buying a telescoping swivel wall mount for the HDTV (another $200).

After that, things are slightly more up in the air. Thinking about going with a PS3 to serve as the Blu-ray player and replacement for my 480i Denon DVD player. I also like its media center and gaming capabilities (though I don't like that Sony has eliminated SACD and PS2 gaming support with the newer PS3s). However, the PS3 has performed poorly as a progressive scan DVD player, and I have over 500 DVDs in my collection, most of which I do not plan to replace with BDs.

So, I could go with an Oppo DVD player or go with a standalone Blu-ray player, or I could go with both for not much more than what the PS3 would cost. But, then I wouldn't get the media center and gaming capabilities in the process. We'll see how this all sifts out.

In the meantime, I'll post my impressions of the set once I get the set properly calibrated and start running more HD sources.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Congrats on the new TV Wooch. Looks like you picked a good time to strike and take home the model you've been eyeballing. It looks like a great set and I'm sure it'll do what you want it to do.

I am a recent, happy owner of the PS3. In terms of it's DVD capabilities, well, I bought it knowing that the PS3, like most BluRay players, would be fairly mediocre at best with DVD, but I think a lot of the knock on them needs to be put into perspective. I've watched several DVD's on mine, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Scarface, and LOTR Trilogy. It probably doesn't keep up with the latest DVD players PQ, but it easily holds pace with 2 of the 3 players in my house that are 3 years old or more. It's not like the DVD's are unwatchable or PQ sucks.
    I'm guessing the vast majority of people out there wouldn't know the issues unless you took great pains to point them out. Same goes for any BluRay player.

If you're like me, any DVD watching you do in the future will only be movies you already own and enjoy. Usually when I watch a favorite, I'm lost in the story and don't have time to nitpick a few PQ issues, so they go unnoticed. If you're a person that is absolutely annoyed by any artifacts or slight imperfections, well then I guess you know what you need to do already anyway.
    Guess you'll have to decide how important that is to you. If you can swing it, I like the idea of separate players for DVD/BluRay. I kept my universal player in my HT room for everything but BluRay, but I could just as easily use the PS3 for all my video needs without complaints.
    Good luck with the rest of the upgrades

Forum Regular
    Hi Woochifer; congradulations on your purchase. I can see you did much wise planning before you put down the bucks to get the most out of those bucks.

Even with the rabbit ears, in the evenings you can sample some HD programming on the major network shows in 1080i from NBC and CBS on your affiliate in your area to see how your set looks in high-def. If your set can upconvert standard def to 1080p video, you could certainly try your denon dvd 480i player and see what that does. Upconverted standard dvd looks quite good IMHO. My brother owns a 5054 Samsung 720P high-def tv with a upconverting Magnavox dvd player that is sold at Wal-Mart. Both work great in tandem with each other and standard dvd movies play great over this set with this player(though the player does not output DTS but does output fine D.D. 5.1 audio).

I have sampled HD cablecasts from a HD box from comcast of which he has hooked up to his set and depending on the channel and the material broadcasted, much of it looked quite good and even great. For awhile we given some premium channels by the "great comcast" network. IMHO HBO looked the best in high-def. What these stations will look like on satellite, I do not know although I understand they are supposed to look better. I think you will be the judge of that when you are hooked up yourself. I also tryed the 5.1 dolby digital surround sound that was fed thru my brothers Marantz/Mirage set-up and it did work well with the HBO,STARZ, and CINEMAX feed so it is a worthwhile thing hookup to do. Quite a few stations were in 5.1 like the food channel which suprisingly had good sound in 5.1 with its music.

My brothers friend bought a Pansonic 720P last year and has had very good results with the unit. My brother says it plays very well and it is hooked up on satellite. When my brother was going out to buy a set last year, it was a toss-up among a few models including the Panasonic. At that time, for what could be evaluated in the stores, the Samsung in our opinion produced the best picture but the Pansonics were no slouches but their anti-flective screen model 77 were not available anymore either, only the non-reflective 75s. By the way, 50 inch is a great size plasma.

I think that you will find a "new" relationship with the movies that you have watched in the past, sort of a "you are there" apprach, a sort of "overseer" as you begin to watch the dvds that you have watched on the smaller sets you have owned. See if you get that feeling over time.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Woochifer, excellent choice and a great bargain. I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

A possible alternative suggestion for you and others considering a wall mount. I talked two people at work out of wall mounting and into a stand that is placed right up against the wall. It saves the holes in the wall, the cost of the bracket and is a great place for some components, a center channel and hides all wires very neatly. Just some food for thought. I own a Bello component rack and they are very nice appearing and excellent quality.

One of my friends got this particular stand at CC (it ia also available online). It is a beautiful black glass and looks great with his black 50" Panny (looks even better than the photo). It is not very deep and he has the Panny almost against the wall at eye level. Bello.com has many other choices.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU7FDY/...Y&linkCode=asn

http://www.audio-video-furniture.com...y.aspx?ID=8509

RR6

Hey Wooch, how does the standard definition on the plasma stack up a tube TV? We are thinking about getting a plasma for our bedroom and only have std digital cable in our bedroom. We have HD TV in our family room but i dont want to spend another $16/month for another HD box?

For a BluRay player and DVD, I would try and wait for the new Oppo coming out some time this winter. Otherwise buy a BRP or PS3 and one of the oppo DVDP's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

congrats!

It's about freakin' time

Congrats on the display. I like how my Costco keeps 'em right in the doorway so you have no choice but to look when you walk in.

I agree with the comments Kex made on the PS3/DVD issue. Most of my movie viewing is BR. I still watch my DVD's, but never really give PQ a second thought.

I consider the PS3 to be one of the best HT purchases I've made. If I had to purchase a new player today, I would still go with the PS3. The streaming/media center abilities plus excellent BR playback makes it one heck of a deal, IMO. I don't mind the gaming part either

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Hey Wooch, how does the standard definition on the plasma stack up a tube TV? We are thinking about getting a plasma for our bedroom and only have std digital cable in our bedroom.
    I'll just add my findings along with any response from Wooch. I had a Sony 27 Trinitron in the bedroom. Now we have the older 42" 480p JVC plasma back up in the bedroom. It definitely looks even better than the Sony on SDTV. I am very happy with the PQ of the JVC on SD. I had it downstairs recently and tested it against the new Panny 768p Costco TH-C50HD18. I thought the Panny was slightly better than the JVC on SDTV. I think the SD signal is better upstairs in the bedroom because the SDTV looks even better up there than in the living room (we have no cable boxes). My conclusion is that the difference is in the RF cable. I'm going to buy all new RG6 F cables soon.

You might consider the Panny 42" 768p plasma now $699 at Costco for your bedroom. BTW, the BD PQ from a Panny BD35 looked superb on the 768p and amazingly good on the 480p JVC.

RR6

Thanks RR!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

i just hooked up an LG (42pg20)That replaced a 4 yr old 36" Trinitron, also amazed at how well the analog signal look on it! I used to work for one of te sat companies, and used to seeing the backfed signal look like @$$ on most HDTVs, but this one shocked me

Well, it looks like its going to be a plasma TV for my bedroom. LCD TV's typically have crappy pics on STD def. My Sony XBR4 LCD has poor pic quality on STD def with comcast HD service. The HD pic is awesome though.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanx for all the comments.

Been watching the OTA channels that my rabbit ears can pull in, and I must say that the HD picture quality looks absolutely stunning. Better than most of the demo reels that I've seen run in stores. I've also done some rudimentary comparisons between the stations broadcasting in 720p versus 1080i. Between Fox (720p) and CBS & NBC (1080i) (can't pull in the ABC or PBS affiliates), I can definitely tell that 1080i has a more detailed picture. But, at the same time, it also seems that 720p handles motion better.

Should be interesting to see how the OTA picture quality compares with Directv, given that Directv uses a much lower bandwidth and uses the more efficient MPEG-4 codec. If the Directv picture loses some picture quality, I might have a hard time unplugging the rabbit ears from the TV!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Congrats on the new TV Wooch. Looks like you picked a good time to strike and take home the model you've been eyeballing. It looks like a great set and I'm sure it'll do what you want it to do.

I am a recent, happy owner of the PS3. In terms of it's DVD capabilities, well, I bought it knowing that the PS3, like most BluRay players, would be fairly mediocre at best with DVD, but I think a lot of the knock on them needs to be put into perspective. I've watched several DVD's on mine, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Scarface, and LOTR Trilogy. It probably doesn't keep up with the latest DVD players PQ, but it easily holds pace with 2 of the 3 players in my house that are 3 years old or more. It's not like the DVD's are unwatchable or PQ sucks.
    Thanx Kex, I'm kind of leaning in that direction now. Even with 480i material, the Panny seems to do a decent job with upscaling the signal. Very smooth image, but definitely a noticeable step down in resolution compared to the HD signals.

Even though the PS3 doesn't handle DVDs very well, I might be willing to go with that tradeoff for the PS3's top-notch Blu-ray playback and its media center capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Hi Woochifer; congradulations on your purchase. I can see you did much wise planning before you put down the bucks to get the most out of those bucks.

Even with the rabbit ears, in the evenings you can sample some HD programming on the major network shows in 1080i from NBC and CBS on your affiliate in your area to see how your set looks in high-def. If your set can upconvert standard def to 1080p video, you could certainly try your denon dvd 480i player and see what that does. Upconverted standard dvd looks quite good IMHO. My brother owns a 5054 Samsung 720P high-def tv with a upconverting Magnavox dvd player that is sold at Wal-Mart. Both work great in tandem with each other and standard dvd movies play great over this set with this player(though the player does not output DTS but does output fine D.D. 5.1 audio).
    Hey Kelsci, good to hear from you! Pretty much any 1080p set will have to rescale a standard def signal, but I've read that it's usually better to have the signal upconverted before it reaches the set. Movies look pretty good from my Denon, but it definitely loses a lot compared to HD.

I've already been watching the World Series and the NFL on Fox and CBS. It's also introducing me to the differences between 1080i and 720p.

Crossing my fingers on the HD picture quality from Directv when the new dish gets installed on Thursday. That will be my only HD source for a while, until I add the Blu-ray player.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Woochifer, excellent choice and a great bargain. I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

A possible alternative suggestion for you and others considering a wall mount. I talked two people at work out of wall mounting and into a stand that is placed right up against the wall. It saves the holes in the wall, the cost of the bracket and is a great place for some components, a center channel and hides all wires very neatly. Just some food for thought. I own a Bello component rack and they are very nice appearing and excellent quality.
    Good suggestion. I've seen the Bello racks and they look quite good. I already have two Salamander Synergy racks, one for the audio equipment, the other for media storage. I was going to get the flat panel mount that goes with that setup, but my wife insists on something that can telescope and swivel. So, we're going with the wall mount.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Hey Wooch, how does the standard definition on the plasma stack up a tube TV? We are thinking about getting a plasma for our bedroom and only have std digital cable in our bedroom. We have HD TV in our family room but i dont want to spend another $16/month for another HD box?
    Generally, I've always found that for standard def inputs, any fixed pixel HDTV will be a step down in picture quality. Compared to our Mitsubishi CRT, the Panny does not look as good with standard def. Even for HD picture quality, I've found that CRTs look the best and can handle standard def equally well. But, flat panel has its own design advantages.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Cool

I went the integrated stand-mount route and highly recomend it.
    I got an el-cheapo (229) with black smoked glass and it looks nice,
    and I can rotate my TV as far as the cables streach .
    I ONLY advise you to get a rather short pole, it looks better than a longer one.
    Another advantage is that you can move the sucker a lot easier
    if you want to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    It's about freakin' time

Congrats on the display. I like how my Costco keeps 'em right in the doorway so you have no choice but to look when you walk in.

I agree with the comments Kex made on the PS3/DVD issue. Most of my movie viewing is BR. I still watch my DVD's, but never really give PQ a second thought.

I consider the PS3 to be one of the best HT purchases I've made. If I had to purchase a new player today, I would still go with the PS3. The streaming/media center abilities plus excellent BR playback makes it one heck of a deal, IMO. I don't mind the gaming part either
    No kidding, it's freakin' time! I was actually ready to pull the trigger on a RPTV almost six years ago until my wife saw the gargantuan cabinet size and said no way. After that point, it was a constant vigil over the specs and prices on flat panel TVs. Then came the other home improvement projects and the baby, which put the HDTV on hold until now.

Seeing how the PS3 can wirelessly integrate with iTunes and iPhoto on my Mac, that makes it mighty tempting, regardless of any shortcomings with its DVD playback.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I went the integrated stand-mount route and highly recomend it.
    I got an el-cheapo (229) with black smoked glass and it looks nice,
    and I can rotate my TV as far as the cables streach .
    I ONLY advise you to get a rather short pole, it looks better than a longer one.
    Another advantage is that you can move the sucker a lot easier
    if you want to.
    Going with a rack mount was my first choice, but the mount that goes with my audio rack does not allow for rotation, and that was something that my wife insisted on. So, the telescoping wall mount arrives this week.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Seeing how the PS3 can wirelessly integrate with iTunes and iPhoto on my Mac, that makes it mighty tempting, regardless of any shortcomings with its DVD playback.
    Not too sure about how easily it connects to Macs, but I had some issues w/ it connecting/recognizing my Vista machine, had to d/l Tversity to get it to share properly, just thought I'd give you a heads up incase you run into issues

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrish
    Not too sure about how easily it connects to Macs, but I had some issues w/ it connecting/recognizing my Vista machine, had to d/l Tversity to get it to share properly, just thought I'd give you a heads up incase you run into issues
    Yeah, that's more an issue with Windows being such an anti-anything-not-Microsoft whore, I too found Tversity much easier to get it working with the PS3 than Vista.

Haven't tried integrating it with the Macbook yet, but I probably won't bother, most of my media files or on my Linux box anyway.

gotta add a media server to my xmas list lol!

Huzzah....

As a recent upgrader myself, all I can say is congrats. I thought I was the last holdout among the "Old Guard" but I see you're behind watching my back. Please send pics when the hook up is done. I vote for stands myself. I was able to get one with good WAF and it holds all my components. What's your room layout if I may ask? Gonna upgrade your receiver anytime soon?

Once again congrats and...

send pics..

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As a recent upgrader myself, all I can say is congrats. I thought I was the last holdout among the "Old Guard" but I see you're behind watching my back. Please send pics when the hook up is done. I vote for stands myself. I was able to get one with good WAF and it holds all my components. What's your room layout if I may ask? Gonna upgrade your receiver anytime soon?

Once again congrats and...

send pics..

Da Worfster
    Remember that I've been threatening to upgrade to HD for just about as long as I've been on this site!

I already shelled out another $170 for the new Directv HD DVR receiver, and the telescoping wall mount will also arrive this week (ch-ching, another $200). Then comes the Blu-ray player and an Oppo HDMI switch BECAUSE ... I don't see a new receiver sitting in the rack for probably at least another year.

The wall mount/swivel came about because my wife now spends a lot of time on the large chair, and got used to the angling the TV to her spot when she's watching. We originally bought those Salamander racks because they had the integrated flat panel mount as an option. But, since those mounts cannot swivel, my wife is now partial to the wall-mount.

As far as the room layout goes, it's a little different than what you see linked to my signature, except that the TV now sits on top of a double wide Salamander rack (similar to the one in the corner that houses the components). To accommodate my baby girl's newfound mobility, we pushed the sofa back to the wall (before that, we had a walkway behind the sofa), moved the speakers a couple of feet to the left, and moved the subwoofer so that it now sits next to the audio rack.

BEFORE - Home Theater 1.0 (v. 2.0 in progress)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Congrats Wooch. And a great choice. Panasonic always seems to get good reviews on plasma sets.

Now all we have to do is convert Feaner to HD. He's the last hold out.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Congrats Wooch. And a great choice. Panasonic always seems to get good reviews on plasma sets.
    Thanx GM. Once Panasonic went to 1080p on their plasmas last year, that pretty much decided it for me. This is their 9th generation plasma lineup, and they've been consistently at or near the top of the pack with their performance and reliability.

Now all we have to do is convert Feaner to HD. He's the last hold out.
    I coulda sworn that there were others!

I'm sure we could conjure up a few more holdouts over in Rave Recs!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I'm sure we could conjure up a few more holdouts over in Rave Recs!
    They don't count. Some of them are still listening to AM radio.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

They don't count. Some of them are still listening to AM radio.
    It was worth a try ...
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrish
    Ick ... don't remind me about Vista!

With the Macs, there are plenty of ways to link up with a PS3. Several sites have posted some simple UNIX terminal commands that integrate the PS3 with a Mac.

But, I've been reading up on Nullriver's $20 MediaLink application. It's fully compatible with iTunes and iPhoto, and supposedly works like a charm. With iTunes now auto-generating these Genius playlists, it would be great to use the PS3 to run those playlists on my main system.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    Congrats Wooch. Glad to see you've made it into the 21st century.

Panasonic certainly is a name you can trust. My Panny CD/DVD changer soldiers on without a lick of trouble. (knock wood)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information