Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    If you aren't somewhat familiar with Unix and, probably moreso Linux terminal commands, or don't have any pressing need for a computer in your HT, I'd bypass the Linux capability. The PS3 isn't the first machine I'd try learning Linux on.

I installed it on mine just to see if I could. It works well enough - actually, surpringly well. Kudos to Sony. On the downside, developers are still trying figure out Sony's application of the cell processor and it's multiple cores, so speed isn't up to full potential yet with most distros, but it's not bad for most computing functions (haven't tried ripping hard media yet from CD or DVD's)
    It's low on RAM so some other creative architecture is required - I think the Yellow Dog distro with Sony's backing makes full use of the 7 or 8 cores, some of the other distros only use a few.
    Still, what seemed like a really cool idea at first I have to admit isn't that big a deal to me now. I don't download or stream a lot of video, and when I do I can connect my Macbook or wife's laptop to my projector anyway if so desired. Surfing the net is kinda fun, and it's handy to have. But I don't use it much. I give Sony full props for opening the doors to Linux, but I think for most people it's a novelty. If you didn't have another computer, the PS3 would be a godsend, but honestly, I'd rather watch DVDs, BluRays and shoot LJ than check my email.

When you're ready to get shot in the head let us know - If you're like me and don't have as much time in the week devote to mastering a video game, and don't know many others with a PS3, it's cool to know a few people equally as bad at gaming as you are to play with online so you don't completely embarass yourself. More fun that way.
    HEY! I resemble that.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Grats on the purchase
    Be Happy

Quick update ...

With the Directv HR22 receiver, I noticed I was getting some motion artifacts (these are the jagged smears that look like stripes running across an image) with the receiver set to upconvert the output for SD channels to 720p (the 1080p option is enabled only for PPV movies). For comparison, I switched the settings on the Directv receiver to allow for 480i output on SD sources, which is the native resolution.

I was surprised that the motion artifacts disappeared and everything looked much smoother when I let the HDTV handle the deinterlacing and upscaling. Very clearly, there's a big difference in the quality of the scaler built into the TV, compared to the one that Directv's using in their HD DVR.

I've already noted how much better the PS3 handles DVD playback than my old Denon DVD player (which lacks HDMI and progressive scan). Now I'm curious to see how my TV's deinterlacing and scaling of native 480i sources compares to the PS3, but I've yet to find the option that switches off the deinterlacing.

It's interesting how quickly everything has changed in just a few years. I have Robert Harley's Home Theater For Everyone book from 2002, and just for fun I flipped through the display section the other day. Just about all of the info in that section is now outdated. Aside from the heavy coverage of CRT TVs and RPTVs, Harley also recommended that consumers primarily use their video sources for deinterlacing and upscaling, because the video processing circuits in TVs at that time were decidedly inferior. The experience with my TV indicates that's clearly no longer the case.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

congrats on the new TV, i've had my 50PZ77U for a year now and cant say enough good things

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrish
    congrats!
    is that a grand prix in your avatar? i have 2
    Last edited by f0rge; 12-29-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

I guess if someone's going to play the role of necromancer on this thread, it might as well be me!

With the addition of the Denon universal player a couple of weeks ago, I'm now ready to declare my Home Theater 2.0 project complete and no longer a work in progress. I now have my entire video chain (except for the VCR) upgraded to HD and routed to the TV using HDMI connections, and I now have full support for SACD and DVD-A. A receiver with HDMI switching and full support for the lossless audio formats would be nice, but that's a lot of coin that I'm in no position to part with right now.

In the meantime, I have updated the picture of my setup in the photo gallery. Here's the long overdue picture of my upgraded setup.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...&ppuser=165819

Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I miss the baker's rack...gave the room a college-y feel...

Looking good man! That flat panel made a huge difference.

I gotta get off my lazy butt and get some pics up as well

Man, you're dialing the wayback machine on full throttle! I'd totally forgotten that I posted a pic of that pre-1.0 setup. I'll have to dig it up and post it on the gallery.

And yes, I miss that baker's rack as well (which is now sitting in the kitchen). That rack was totally open and had wheels. Made wiring and removing components easy.

Having an enclosed audio rack is much more of a pain when the upgrade bug bites. In fact, I haven't even replaced the back panel on the audio rack since I began the video upgrades back in October. And if you look closely I still have the furniture gliders that I "temporarily" placed underneath the audio rack so I could move the unit away from the wall and access the back!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Looking good man! That flat panel made a huge difference.

I gotta get off my lazy butt and get some pics up as well
    Thanks L.J. Y'mean MORE pics?! :wow: I still recall that bunch that you posted when you did the acoustical upgrades. Or are those pics now outdated?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Now, that's what I call a Man Room!! A little late, here, but congrats and kudos to you, Wooch. That Count Basie poster adds the right touch!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Now that I look back on how this system came together, it's interesting that my 2.0 upgrade was done pretty much all at once. A far cry from the years that my 1.0 setup took to finish up. Maybe I'm getting impatient at my old age?

The Road to Home Theater 1.0 (est. 2001)
    components already in place and carried over:
    - 32" TV
    - RCA satellite receiver
    - JVC VCR
    - Dual turntable
    - Philips CD changer

- added Denon DVD player
    - added Yamaha 5.1 receiver
    - added Paradigm Studio 40s
    - added Premier stands
    - added SPL meter and test discs
    - moved hand-me-down Bose 301s to surround position

- added Paradigm Studio CC center speaker
    - added acoustical panels
    - added Playstation 2

- moved system to current room
    - added Adire Rava subwoofer
    - added Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    - added Paradigm Studio 20s
    - added Sound Anchor stands
    - subtracted Bose 301s

- added Salamander audio rack
    - declared Home Theater 1.0 complete
    - added Philips satellite receiver
    - removed failed RCA satellite receiver

- added SACD changer
    - subtracted Philips CD changer
    - added JVC VCR
    - subtracted failed JVC VCR

- no activity

- added second Salamander audio rack

- moved furniture back to give baby more room to play, so we "needed" a bigger TV
    - began Home Theater 2.0
    - added Panasonic HDTV
    - subtracted Mitsubishi TV
    - added Directv HD-DVR satellite receiver
    - removed Philips satellite receiver
    - added Playstation 3
    - added TV swing mount
    - added HDMI switch

- moved Denon DVD player
    - added Denon universal player
    - declared Home Theater 2.0 complete
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Now, that's what I call a Man Room!! A little late, here, but congrats and kudos to you, Wooch. That Count Basie poster adds the right touch!
    That's what my wife calls it too ... and she doesn't mean it in a good way!

Considering that I brought this corpse of a thread back to life only last night, you're actually early!

Also have the famous Art Kane "Jazz Portrait Harlem 1958" print hanging in a different room. Just about the most amazing collection of musical talent ever captured in a single image, many of whom you would know just by the first names -- Duke, Count, Dizzy, Thelonious, Coleman, Sonny, Horace. (see below)

http://www.harlem.org/

Last edited by Woochifer; 06-05-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Outstanding!!

"Man's Room" indeed!!!! Now that's a place I could hang in smoke a cigar and watch some real carnage... well mebbe ditch the ceegar as I don't want you eviscerated by the spouse. Love that hook up bro!!!!

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Thanks L.J. Y'mean MORE pics?! :wow: I still recall that bunch that you posted when you did the acoustical upgrades. Or are those pics now outdated?
    My main system hasn't changed much. I added some blackout curtains, emotiva amp & few small changes.

My 2nd system got a major make over though. I sold my huge wall unit I got from Costco & moved my 56" JVC into the garage. The room got a fool makeover and I spend more time listening to music in there. The fully stocked bar helps a lil too Right now it's music only but I plan on adding a small flat panel eventually.

You moved your couch & surrounds back a bit?

Ahhhhh!!! Memories ...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    "Man's Room" indeed!!!! Now that's a place I could hang in smoke a cigar and watch some real carnage... well mebbe ditch the ceegar as I don't want you eviscerated by the spouse. Love that hook up bro!!!!

Da Worfster
    Thanx Worf. Romulan Ale and the cigars are out, so a good scotch will have to do (my wife would gladly join in that venture).

My main system hasn't changed much. I added some blackout curtains, emotiva amp & few small changes.

My 2nd system got a major make over though. I sold my huge wall unit I got from Costco & moved my 56" JVC into the garage. The room got a fool makeover and I spend more time listening to music in there. The fully stocked bar helps a lil too Right now it's music only but I plan on adding a small flat panel eventually.
    A full bar - now, THAT'S a man cave! Actually, any room with a non-WAF approved TV would also qualify!

You moved your couch & surrounds back a bit?
    Yeah, we used to have a pathway behind the sofa, but the space was a bit tight for a jumper, playpen, and baby toys. The TV used to be about 6' from the sofa, now it's somewhere between 9' and 10' away, depending on whether my wife shoves the sofa against the wall or I pull it out about a foot away from the wall! So, you see why we "had to" get a new TV, right?

You can see from the pic that the mains are now wider apart, but the surrounds are unfortunately closer, so the delay timing is more essential than ever. And the delay function is one of the weak points on that Denon universal player.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

With the board seemingly infested with a zombie invasion with long dormant threads getting revived from the dead, I figure I'll join in the necromancy parade!

But, I actually have something exciting to add -- my first HT addition since 2008! Yeah, I've now joined the pack and hit the big time! My HT setup is now just a short step away from going totally balls out nucular! Mortals and neighbors alike be warned!

I am now the proud owner of ....

a universal remote!!!!!

Yep, I've been doing the seven-remote juggle for the last 3 years, and actually got pretty good at it when babysitting my daughter. But, Black Friday at Best Buy put all that to an end when I got my hands on one of the $40 Harmony 650s.

I tried to score one of those remotes last year, but BB was sold out of them by the time I arrived at the store towards the end of Black Friday. This time, I actually went there in the middle of the night to pick up some cheap Blu-ray movies for $8 and $11, and see if they had any of the Harmony remotes left. I initially thought they were sold out again because the rack with all the remotes was empty, but then I saw a crate stack sitting on the floor nearby. Lo and behold, the crate was unmarked and full of the Harmony remotes in the Black Friday ad! So, that was my big splurge for myself this year.

First Impressions

I'd read a few reviews of the Harmony remotes, and they seem like solid options. The only issue is that they require a PC to configure, and even though I have a laptop, that is definitely a pain. In many ways it's much easier than the old "learning" remote method of pointing the remotes at each other and programming each button at a time. But, it's not quite as convenient when the buttons are programmed and there might be one or two functions that I want to add or switch around.

The last time I shopped for remotes was right after my HT 1.0 was finished (and the AR regulars howled in their disbelief over Wooch's table full of remotes!). Back then, I was looking over the Home Theater Master MX-500, which was considered a bargain at $189. Then, my wife insisted on getting the media rack instead, and I haven't really been in the market for a universal remote since then.

The Harmony remote works differently than that MX-500, which has macro capability, but primarily aimed at replicating the functionality of the OEM remotes. The Harmony 650 will replicate the OEM remote's functions, but it also organizes functions into "activities" that combine controls over different devices.

I already had some practice with my Directv remote, which similarly reserved some of the functions for the TV, and others for the satellite receiver. But, the Harmony does this for multiple devices at the same time. I'm very impressed with how logically they mapped out the functions.

The Harmony is not without its quirks. Unlike a true learning remote, the Harmony will not assign a non-standard command to a specific device. I tried to "teach" the remote to switch HDMI sources on my Oppo HM-31 (which I use because I don't have a HDMI-enabled receiver), but it would not accept the command because that function was not in the database for those devices. The Oppo HM-31 is in the Harmony database, but the remote would not let me assign that command to any other device or process the raw IR data. Since the Harmony 650 has a 5 device limit, I did not have any slots left for the Oppo switch.

So, basically the Harmony 650 has replaced 5 of my remotes. I still use two other remotes, one for the PS3 (which is Bluebooth) and the other for the HDMI switch (but since it's an auto-sensing switch, I rarely use it). Needless to say, it's a nice little upgrade for $40.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It works better if you put it on isolation pads.

Congrats on the new purchase. I love my Harmony remote, definitely an overlooked accessory to many systems out there.

Yes, very good upgrade. I've been spoiled the past 5 years or so. Couldn't imagine going back to the 5 remote lineup. Now just make sure your kid doesn't drop yours in a cup of water like my son did with my old 880 a week after I got it

Thing still works BTW...using it in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
    It works better if you put it on isolation pads.

Congrats on the new purchase. I love my Harmony remote, definitely an overlooked accessory to many systems out there.
    I'll settle for keeping it high, so my daughter doesn't play with it (she's already fascinated with the display that magically turns on when you pick the remote up). I've had the universal remote on the to-do list for years, but it always wound up taking a backseat to other purchases. A $40 Black Friday price eliminated any budgetary concerns, although I was also surprised to see how far the prices on the Harmony One (which used to sell for $300) and other decent universal remotes have fallen. I'm still trying to get around to the idea of not having to pay $200 for a decent universal remote. The Harmony 650 has its limits, but for what I paid, I'm not complaining.

Yes, very good upgrade. I've been spoiled the past 5 years or so. Couldn't imagine going back to the 5 remote lineup. Now just make sure your kid doesn't drop yours in a cup of water like my son did with my old 880 a week after I got it

Thing still works BTW...using it in the garage
    Yeah, now that I'm actually using a Harmony remote, I can now see what you guys have been talking about all these years. Definitely cuts a few steps out of my HT enjoyment, and now I no longer have to worry about the buttons wearing down on my older remotes.

And I can see how water and remotes don't mix well. My daughter has a habit of grabbing stuff in front of her. I don't think I have to worry about her giving the remote a bath -- just finding it after she buries it in one of her toy boxes!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information