Forum Regular

How many channels?

I have a 7.1 surround sound system. I would like to ad more power through a power amp or amps. i would like to add more power to the sub as well. do I need to buy a 5 channel amp and a 3 channel to make this work? or will a 7 channel amp be O.K.? please help. keith w.

You will need a 7 channel amp for the first 7 channels, pick up one of these bad boys:
    http://outlawaudio.com/products/7125.html

I'm assuming you have a powered sub..the best way to upgrade that is to replace the whole thing. If you don't have a powered sub...you might want to get a powered sub. What kind of equipment do you have, anyway?

Forum Regular

Equipment i own.

Yamaha Rx v-2500
    Polk RTi8
    Csi 5 center
    FXi 5 Surrounds (4)
    Energy 400 watt 10" Sub
    Yamaha DVD c750

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The cheaper (and IMO better) way of adding amps is to do so a pair of channels at a time. The 2500 is pretty darn powerful. Why not use it to handle the last 2, 3, or 4 channels of amplification.
    I recommend Rotel or Adcom amps, only because they're cheap, sound great, are of excellent quality, and are very plentiful used on ebay or audiogon. But don't limit yourself to those 2 brands, tons of great amps out there.
    I have an RX-V1400 with 3 power amps connected to it, the recevier runs the center channel, and that's more than enough for my 500 sq ft-ish room.

Thread Information