Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how long have you owned you AV receiver?

...and are you still satisifed?

In this day of throw-away hardware, do you still enjoy your receiver?

What do you like/dislike?

Me, i purchased my Harman Kardon AVR 525 in Fall 03. It was manufactored in late 02.
    I still love the large display, on-screen menu, bass magmnt, and overall am still quite satisfied.

how about you?

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_

Me, i purchased my Harman Kardon AVR 525 in Fall 03. It was manufactored in late 02.
    I still love the large display, on-screen menu, bass magmnt, and overall am still quite satisfied.

how about you?
    About 3 months now, a NAD T-743. I love it. I don't upgrade all that often. Before this was an Onkyo 575x I had for about 5 years. That model was flawless, and sold it for close to $200 on eBay recently. I enjoy everything about this NAD - it is only 50 watts/channel, but sounds much fuller and louder than my Onkyo. I like the simplicity of the NAD, not a lot of bells and whistles, but simple layout, very good ergonomics, thoughtful features, a really good remote, and above all, great sound. If it is reliable, I will keep it for some time.

Yamaha RX-V3300; purchased Dec. '03. Love it. Isn't really missing any features I feel I need. One reason I'm relcutant to upgrade is this model came with the kick-ass remote-a big ass marco-learning, backlit brute that they don't inlcude in the upper eschelon of their receiver line anymore.

Denon 3803, Dec '02. Works great and does everything I need. I absolutely love the way it decodes two channel music in Pure Direct mode. The sound is the closest to analog I've heard and I have no plans on upgrading my receiver anytime soon.

Next projects are widescreen HDTV (just waiting for the new 52" JVC to be released this month), HD-STB w/ Tivo, and universal player (likely a Denon as well).

Forum Regular
    I bought a Yamaha 5760 in March 2004 and love it! I was in my price range and it's all I need- with power, options, and input/outputs. I was a huge upgrade from my non-HT older Sony receiver. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, but I am looking for another receiver for my living room system- I might go out and pick up a 5760/650 since they can be had for pretty cheap now- might also look into the new 657, but no big improvements over the 650 (at least I don't think there are many improvements) except for the XM radio option, which doesn't interest me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    About 3 months now, a NAD T-743. I love it. I don't upgrade all that often. Before this was an Onkyo 575x I had for about 5 years. That model was flawless, and sold it for close to $200 on eBay recently. I enjoy everything about this NAD - it is only 50 watts/channel, but sounds much fuller and louder than my Onkyo. I like the simplicity of the NAD, not a lot of bells and whistles, but simple layout, very good ergonomics, thoughtful features, a really good remote, and above all, great sound. If it is reliable, I will keep it for some time.
    IRG, glad to see you're enjoying the NAD. If I remember correctly you were looking into a couple different options regarding speakers. What did you end up doing?
    I certainly agree with your comment about NAD's simplicity. I know it turns some folks off, just too basic for them, but its exactly what I like about mine. Evidentally you too.

Hk Avr-320

Has everything that I need. Plenty of power at the rated 55wpc. Preouts, decent crossover settings. Warm sounding and plenty of oomph in the lower end. I usually keep a receiver for 15-20 years. My old Kenwood lasted 22 years and still works albeit not near as nice as the HK.

Forum Regular

Denon 3801

Denon 3801 coupled with my orb audio Mod 1 speakers & Harmon Kardon DVD 31 player rules when connected by fiber optic cable (interconnects for DVD-A)! I got it for $450 with shipping used in excellent condition. Best purchase I've made.

Forum Regular

Denon 3805

I love my Denon and I have no plans or desires to replace it. It does everything I need it to do and I got it real cheap after trading in a defective 3803 floor model. I've had it for about 6 months now.

I'm glad to see so many older model Denon AVR's still satisfying its owners...that bodes well for me!

My last reciever also was a 2 channel Denon that I've used since 1992 and it still works fine and looks great.

Forum Regular

dsp a3090 still going strong..

I bought a Yamaha DSP-A3090 about 8 years ago. So far I've found no compelling reason to upgrade. It was among the first wave of mass market Dolby Digital processors. This was before the name 'Dolby Digital' was firmed up as the name for this type of 5.1. There isn't even a DD reference on the box. They reference AC-3 instead. It's built like a tank and still looks new. Very clean sounding. The downside is that it doesn't do some of the newer formats like prologic 2 and DTS. It doesn't do 6.1 and beyond but 5.1 works for me. My left and right speakers are somewhat power hungry and drive the amp into protection occasionally but other than that, no problems. I went with two Marantz monobloc's for the mains to solve the problem. I also have a Yamaha R100 stereo receiver that's 20 years old. It's been moved all over the country and dinged up a little but still works great. All I've ever had to do is tighten the nut on the volume knob. Bottom line is that at this point, there really is no reason to buy a new receiver at this point. If I was looking to replace my 3090, I'd look for a top of the line, 2-3 year old Yamaha or Denon receiver.

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    IRG, glad to see you're enjoying the NAD. If I remember correctly you were looking into a couple different options regarding speakers. What did you end up doing?
    I certainly agree with your comment about NAD's simplicity. I know it turns some folks off, just too basic for them, but its exactly what I like about mine. Evidentally you too.
    Hey,
    Right now I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3s. I like them a lot. For the price, they do many things well, very good for different genres of music, like rock, classical as well as HT. A good mate for the NAD. Last night I just added a new set of speaker stands, from partsexpress http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...45&rak=240-744. These are great stands, and I may do a review of them in the speaker discussion section. They are even more massive in person. And I swear that already my sound has improved with these stands, as silly as that sounds. More on that once I really listen to some music on these new stands.

My next purchase to make this system sing is a good subwoofer, and I am almost sold on the SVS subs. Once I have the $, then that is next. I'm not sure how long I will keep the Monitor 3s. I would eventually like to move to some really higher end speakers, but after comparing them to Paradigm's reference 20 v4, I wasn't blown away by the difference, especially given the price. In fact I preferred the Monitor 3 on some types of music. But I won't be upgrading again for at least 1-2 years. And the NAD will stay with me for as long as it works (that is never true, I always sell my gear while it is still working good), but probably a good 5 years or so I will keep it. I may add a power amp to it at some point. And I still need to add the rear speakers - once I find a place to locate them. This hobby is getting out of control.

Smile Hmmm good question...

I've been running my Onkyo 898 for about 3 plus years now. It was an "open box" demo so I don't know how many miles it's really got on it. Hey I'm only running 5.1 in a medium sized room... and it gives me all I could ever hope for. Sides, as any homeowner knows, there's more than enough things to spend money on other than stereo gear. I've no compelling reason to upgrade....

Da Worfster

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Panasonic from 72-2001 and a Denon 3200 from 97-04 and a Denon 2805 from dec. to now.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Had my Denon 3802 a few years now and still loving it! Great for HT and not bad 2-channel in Direct mode.
    Denon 3802
    NAD C272
    Denon DVD2900
    Sci-Atlanta PVR8300HD
    Hitachi 51" HDTV
    Energy C-1 Centre
    Energy xl-26 mains
    Polk bookshelfs x4 surrounds
    Velodyne CHT-10
    Velodyne VX-10

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have a Onkyo TXDS 777 THX select reciever that I have been using for about 3 years now. It only power the front three channels(left, center ,right) has 105watts going to speakers that are rated 100db with one watt from one meter. All speakers are on large, but the amps in this receiver seem to have endless power. I use my former Yamaha receiver to power the surrounds, another onkyo stereo amp for the subs, and another onkyo stereo amp to power the EX channels via a circlesurround processor.

I am in the middle of a major acoustical upgrade right now, but have absolutely no plans to upgrade amps or receiver.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Hey Sir T,

Don't you have Dunlavy's? I saw a IV and V on audiogon the other day if you're interested.

Forum Regular

Cool H/k 7200

I have had my H/K 7200 since November 2003 and just 1 month ago finally figured out how good this monster is. I set all the speaker channels on flat and the center at plus 1 and this thing just makes me rush home from work to listen to it. I am running all monster cable throughout the system along with a H/K DVD 25, H/K CDR 26, Pioneer MD player, Bose 701 Series II, Bose VCS10, Bose 301, Bose AM5 and JBL PB10 sub(upgrading to SVS soon). It really sounds great and if i ever replace this receiver it will be with another H/K no doubt.

Marantz SR-5000

I've had my Marantz for about 5 years now. It is the first piece of "hi-fi gear" that I ever purchased. Since then, many things have changed - actually, EVERYTHING else has changed, but the Marantz remains. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. When I was looking for more "umph" in my 2 channel listening, I picked up an external power amp and my problem was solved.

I hope to keep it around for a long time. Right now I have the Marantz with a Parasound power amp, Kef Q15.2 (L/R), Kef Q center, SVS pb-10, Boston Acoustic in-wall surrounds and a Sony 5 disc SACD player.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I got my first AV receiver in 1986

how about you?
    The Pioneer VSX-5300tx.The receiver was quite sophisticated for it's day, even having adjustable video noise reduction. It still does service in my daughters room, and is one of the few components that I've ever seen run continuously for nearly 20 years without so much as a light go out on it. I still own Pioneer recievers, and my newer one is even more sophisticated with auto room adjusting, and many advanced features like multiple video switching that I don't even use. Oh, it sounds great too!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

This Memorial Day weekend, I will have had my Yamaha RX-V800 for four years. It's worked flawlessly through almost continuous operation the whole time (we leave music on all day for our dog). All of the audio, TV sound, and video inputs get routed through the receiver, so it's working pretty much the entire time that any of us are home and not asleep.

The receiver is a basic 5.1 model with DD, DTS, and a phantom 6.1 mode. IMO, it's a very well designed unit that pulls my entire system together. Sound quality and power output are very good, and even now I still tweak with the various settings (as maligned as they are, I do use the DSP modes with movies, and they are especially good at recreating the acoustical conditions of a large movie theater). I intend to keep the receiver until I'm ready to make the jump up to separates, and that won't occur until after I upgrade my video components.

The only major shortcoming with the receiver is the fixed 90 Hz crossover point for the subwoofer output.

DPLII, 6.1, "7.1", Neo:6, and some of the other decoding schemes that have come along in later models I don't have much use for. My room does not allow for back surround speakers, so the ES/EX decoding is inconsequential for my setup.

Even though you regard this as an era of throwaway hardware, I think that's more a perception than reality. In general, I think that even now, any receiver will work fine so long as it has 5.1 Dolby Digital, because that will give you the intended surround performance for over 99% of the DVDs on the market. The reality is that none of the enhancements that have come along in the past few years has any chance of displacing 5.1 DD as the defacto standard any time soon. DD is a required format with DVDs, and it is the standard for HDTV broadcasts. As much as I like DTS soundtracks, I don't regard that as a mandatory feature either because DTS soundtracks are still way in the minority among the soundtracks out there.

HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray both have provisions for higher resolution versions of DD and DTS (DD+ and DTS-HD), which allow for both higher bitrates and additional discrete channels. But, even if those high res video formats eventually supplant the DVD, DD+ and DTS-HD will both be backwards compatible with existing DD and DTS decoders.

IMO, the only time when a 5.1 DD receiver is functionally obsolete is when a more advanced format completely displaces 5.1 DD as the standard and you can no longer find material in that format.

Wooch,

I think that's fantastic that your Yamaha has been operating so consistently over the years, but I have to ask one thing: aren't you missing out on PLII? I listen to TV with Prologic II and I think it's cool because it's near the type of audio one gets with a DVD. Now, me and Hershon have been back and forth on this because he listens to TV in 5-channel stereo. I say he's nuts and he says I'm nuts. But what say you? Do you listen to any sort of programming with Prologic and do you ever wish that you had PLII?

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by J2phat4u
    I have had my H/K 7200 since November 2003 and just 1 month ago finally figured out how good this monster is. I set all the speaker channels on flat and the center at plus 1 and this thing just makes me rush home from work to listen to it. I am running all monster cable throughout the system along with a H/K DVD 25, H/K CDR 26, Pioneer MD player, Bose 701 Series II, Bose VCS10, Bose 301, Bose AM5 and JBL PB10 sub(upgrading to SVS soon). It really sounds great and if i ever replace this receiver it will be with another H/K no doubt.
    I have the same sub as you (and really not a bad little sub for the $) and I am also going to be upgrading to a SVS subl. Which one are you considering? I will probably go with their smallest/least expensive model, at least at this moment. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm Looks like a great sub for the size of my room. Regards.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Wooch,

I think that's fantastic that your Yamaha has been operating so consistently over the years, but I have to ask one thing: aren't you missing out on PLII? I listen to TV with Prologic II and I think it's cool because it's near the type of audio one gets with a DVD. Now, me and Hershon have been back and forth on this because he listens to TV in 5-channel stereo. I say he's nuts and he says I'm nuts. But what say you? Do you listen to any sort of programming with Prologic and do you ever wish that you had PLII?
    And i'm a big,big fan of 5 channel stereo but i have to say i'm starting to enjoy Pllx with my CD's and nascar. I'm going to have to talk with him about it as soon as i'm reasted for it. LOL
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Marantz SR-7000

I bought it probably 4 or 5 years ago and still love it. Not a lot of bells and whistles but i think it sounds great for 2 channel music. I dont watch a lot of movies, so I wasnt really concerned about that aspect of it, but it seems to do fine in that area too. I'll be keeping this for a long time, just maybe adding a dedicated amp.

how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Wooch,

I never bought into DPLII for one simple reason: there are no sources out there that are encoded specifically for DPLII. This means that DPLII is no different than any other DSP mode. It might sound better than the others, but it's still another layer of processing on top of a specific decoding scheme that makes the quality of the playback a lot more random.

DPL is different in that it decodes two-channel Dolby Surround soundtracks that were specifically mixed with DPL decoding in mind. The DPL scheme entails an encoded monophonic bandwidth-restricted surround track folded into the two-channel mix, along with extracted center channel info. That's really all that gets encoded into a Dolby Surround soundtrack.

Whatever DPLII adds with the channel steering and redirecting main channel info into the surrounds is conceptually the same as what one of those room simulating DSP modes does. In my listenings, DPLII can definitely add to the immersive effect, but depending on how the Dolby Surround soundtrack was mixed, it can also create some very bizarre sounding effects as well.

In general, I prefer to stick with straight DPL for TV viewing, yet even there the quality of the surround effect and center channel redirecting will vary. But, at least it won't steer dialog or other sounds clearly intended for the front channels into the surrounds.

Five-channel stereo is too gimmicky for my long-term listening enjoyment. Dolby Surround soundtracks with a lot of ambient cues have out-of-phase signals folded into the mix, and in five-channel stereo mode, those just sound horrible. And having voices all around with no imaging coherency or directionality defeats the whole purpose of surround sound. Might as well just plug in a pair of Bose 901s if you want that same "mono everywhere" effect. Some music sounds decent in five-channel stereo, but as with DPLII, the playback quality varies too much for me to keep it on for very long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information