Forum Regular

Question How to distinguish different WIDESCREEN FORMATS?

Hi,
    I have been buying Widescreen DVDs for my fairly new (6 months) 56" (16:9) HDTV. My DVD Player is by default set to widescreen format. I noticed that even though some DVDs specially say it is 'WideScreen Edition', they do not completely fit my 16:9 TV Screen. There is a few inches gap above and below. However some WIDESCREEN editions (like the Spiderman Widescreen edition) fit perfectly taking up the entire screen. Which is what exactly I want, to avoid burn-outs on the screen. So the question is How do I make sure that whatever widescreen edition I buy will perfectly fit the TV Screen? Is there any markings on the DVD that could indicate this variation?

Thanks

Forum Regular

Never mind. found the answer

I found the answer to my puzzling question:

"Another point to be aware of with widescreen on discs, is that there are a variety of different formats, ranging from 16:9 (which is the common TV widescreen format) right up to 2.35:1 which is more commonly seen in cinemas. If your disc is a widescreen disc at 2.35:1, then it will still have stripes at the top and bottom, even on a widescreen TV"

Wink format

Quote Originally Posted by NewAudioBuff
    Hi,
    I have been buying Widescreen DVDs for my fairly new (6 months) 56" (16:9) HDTV. My DVD Player is by default set to widescreen format. I noticed that even though some DVDs specially say it is 'WideScreen Edition', they do not completely fit my 16:9 TV Screen. There is a few inches gap above and below. However some WIDESCREEN editions (like the Spiderman Widescreen edition) fit perfectly taking up the entire screen. Which is what exactly I want, to avoid burn-outs on the screen. So the question is How do I make sure that whatever widescreen edition I buy will perfectly fit the TV Screen? Is there any markings on the DVD that could indicate this variation?

Thanks
    Just to add a bit: the ratio is 1:78:1 to fill a 16X9 screen with no black bars.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information