Forum Regular

Hooking up receiver, SDTV, DVR, & DVD

Hey, all- I've asked a similar question in the past, but still have some questions about the most efficient way to hook my HT up. I recently got a DVR and have it just hooked up now to my TV, but would like to get the sound through my receiver to my speakers. I think I would want to start from scratch to be sure everything is correct.

I don't have any component hook-up on my TV (Sony SDTV).

Here is what I have: Yamaha 5860 receiver, SDTV, DVD player, and Explorer 8300 DVR/digital cable box.

Here's what I want: I want to be able to get sound through my receiver/speakers from DVD player and DVR/cable box.

Here is how I currenly have it hooked up:
    *Optical out from DVD to Optical in on receiver
    *S-video out from DVD to S-video in on receiver
    *S-video out from receiver to S-video on TV
    *Cable input to DVR
    *Cable from DVR to TV

Is this right? I'm able to get sound through my receiver when I watch movies on my DVD player.

What do I need to do to get sound through my receiver/speakers when I watch DVD player and DVR/cable box?

Thanks.
    Eric

You should hook up cable/dvr box like you would the dvd player, that is, the cable box should have a s-video out that you could send to the receiver (and then on to the tv) and run the analog and/or digital audio cables from cable box to receiver and then let the receiver do the video switching from cable box to dvd player.

Forum Regular
    I think I have it, but I want to be sure.

I'll keep it connected like I have it now, but I would run an s-video cable from my cable box to my receiver and then from my receiver out to my TV (that will take care of the video).

Then for the audio, I would run analog and/or digital audio cables from the cable box to receiver.

Does there need to be anything from the receiver to the TV, or is no because the cable box is connected to the receiver?

One more thing, is there essentially 2 s-videos from the receiver to the TV, or is one enough?

Thanks.
    Eric

One S-video from receiver to TV, hence it's called video switching, because the receiver will switch the video signal sent to the tv as you change inputs from the remote. And no, there will be no audio cables going from receiver to the tv. The receiver will output all audio signals and tv will output all video signals, and then you're all done.

Forum Regular
    cool- thanks, paul! i never knew was video switching was- thanks for including that.

i'll see if i have a couple cables laying around and try it out. i'll let you know if i have any more questions.

thanks again.
    ez

Forum Regular
    i picked up a dig coax for the audio and ran that from the cable box to the receiver. everything seems to be cool now. the hardest part was trying to figure out how to reassign the digital input option on the receiver- pretty easy though.

i'm looking for a little more clarification on something though. i did not run an s-video cable from the cable box to the receiver. i am able to get a picture on my tv because the coaxial cable is run to my cable box and then out to my tv. is there a benefit of running it via an s-video through my receiver? i'm thinking if i did it that way and didn't have the coax from my cable box to tv, then i would have to keep my receiver on to watch tv. am i missing something here?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    i picked up a dig coax for the audio and ran that from the cable box to the receiver. everything seems to be cool now. the hardest part was trying to figure out how to reassign the digital input option on the receiver- pretty easy though.

i'm looking for a little more clarification on something though. i did not run an s-video cable from the cable box to the receiver. i am able to get a picture on my tv because the coaxial cable is run to my cable box and then out to my tv. is there a benefit of running it via an s-video through my receiver? i'm thinking if i did it that way and didn't have the coax from my cable box to tv, then i would have to keep my receiver on to watch tv. am i missing something here?

thanks.
    Yes, there is a benefit for S-video: better picture quality than the run of the mill f-pin coax cable. And yes, you'd have to have receiver on, but you already would have to because of the audio. It can be more convenient than you think if your receiver has switched outlets, that is outlets that you can plug equipment into. I have my tv plugged into my receiver, and at night I hit the sleep timer on receiver and when it shuts off, so does the tv.

Forum Regular
    good to know. thanks again for all your help.
    ez

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    good to know. thanks again for all your help.
    ez
    Yeah, no problem.

Thread Information