Forum Regular

dissapointed - HT setup - posted in general by mistake

Hey guys,

I've been thinkin about selling my gear. I've lost interest in the whole HT hobby. After playing endlessly with my setup, I'm still disappointed with the sound.I've read every thread I can find about every technology and every placement option and every acoustic fix and still...it ain't workin'.Room modes , bass loading , phase shift ,spatial loading ,crossover suggestions,sound stage enhancements, non directional bass, room vibrations on and on...I've just come to the conclusion that without an advance EQ filtering system it's a hopless.Unless and until the audio industry comes out with an affordable ( whatever that means) and detailed EQ that is self calibrating ,then I think I'm out of the game for a while.Try as I might, the dialogue is muddy or the dialogue is just fine and it's way to fu@@in' loud.I've read about the 85db standard "dialogue will sound muddy at lower levels" ..blah blah blah and have the various test disc like Avia and others,still doesn't work.I doubt very much there are many guys out there that can hear a peak at 300hz and a dip/standing wave at 310hz, and even if you did,what would you do about it?To correct this you'd need a EQ or room equalizer that would have most guys eating Mac N' Cheese for a year.Iv'e heard that Denon has a new EQ system on its top o' the line reciever and various other companies have "room equalization" but for the working slobs like me, 5k is out even if it sounds like Scarlet Johanson (spelling?) is takin' just to you.Maybe one of you guys has a fix for me that isn't Rave audio or Lexicon....

Thanks in advance.....
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by hometheaterbug
    Hey guys,

I've been thinkin about selling my gear. I've lost interest in the whole HT hobby. After playing endlessly with my setup, I'm still disappointed with the sound.I've read every thread I can find about every technology and every placement option and every acoustic fix and still...it ain't workin'.Room modes , bass loading , phase shift ,spatial loading ,crossover suggestions,sound stage enhancements, non directional bass, room vibrations on and on...I've just come to the conclusion that without an advance EQ filtering system it's a hopless.Unless and until the audio industry comes out with an affordable ( whatever that means) and detailed EQ that is self calibrating ,then I think I'm out of the game for a while.Try as I might, the dialogue is muddy or the dialogue is just fine and it's way to fu@@in' loud.I've read about the 85db standard "dialogue will sound muddy at lower levels" ..blah blah blah and have the various test disc like Avia and others,still doesn't work.I doubt very much there are many guys out there that can hear a peak at 300hz and a dip/standing wave at 310hz, and even if you did,what would you do about it?To correct this you'd need a EQ or room equalizer that would have most guys eating Mac N' Cheese for a year.Iv'e heard that Denon has a new EQ system on its top o' the line reciever and various other companies have "room equalization" but for the working slobs like me, 5k is out even if it sounds like Scarlet Johanson (spelling?) is takin' just to you.Maybe one of you guys has a fix for me that isn't Rave audio or Lexicon....

Thanks in advance.....
    Ed
    Just relax Ed, if we all had it perfect there would no need for this board or others like it. As with any hobby or whatever you may call it, there is always a need to improve or upgrade, thats part of the fun or frustation always trying to get just a bit more out of it.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Ed,
    FWIW, you can get auto-eq in $400 receivers from Denon, HK, and Yamaha to name a few. I appreciate that you've taken the time to learn about room interaction and have taken measures but I have to ask if you've considered the obvious: Your Speakers? Your profile lists three different speaker manufacturers. Are you using a matched front stage? If your main problems stem from the cc (which is what it appears to be), have you considered swapping out your front stage to see if that helps? There are a few very knowledgeable people here that I'm sure would be able to help, but more information would be appreciated.

Thread Information