• 08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
    lolasdaddy
    Home theater video splitter
    Does anyone know if there is such thing as a home theater video splitter? I just fell into 2 projectors and wanted to run both side by side and take 1 input like my dvd player and split the video across the 2 projectors. I know I can do this on my computer using multiple monitor outputs, but didnt want to run through my pc. Thanks!
  • 08-19-2004, 01:37 PM
    Woochifer
    You should be able to find signal splitters over at Radio Shack (at the very least, an RCA plug Y-splitter should work with both component and composite video). But, I don't even think you need to do that, especially if you don't need progressive output. Your DVD player should have composite, S-video, and component video outputs. Simply run the S-vid cable into one projector, and the component video cable into the other projector.
  • 08-19-2004, 01:40 PM
    lolasdaddy
    that seems right, but would that cut the movie in half? I want one projector to display half the movie while the other displays the other half making 1 really big screen. I know some plasmas you can do that, if you take 4 of them and make them into a grid they will take the picture and split it between all 4 making 1 giant picture. Is that done through something built into the plasmas or is that some kinda of external device? Thanks for all the help.
  • 08-19-2004, 01:47 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lolasdaddy
    Does anyone know if there is such thing as a home theater video splitter? I just fell into 2 projectors and wanted to run both side by side and take 1 input like my dvd player and split the video across the 2 projectors. I know I can do this on my computer using multiple monitor outputs, but didnt want to run through my pc. Thanks!

Before I even attempt to answer your question, I gotta ask:

... just what do you have in mind? What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to run both projectors at the same time? If so, WHY? Or, do you just want to have the option of using one projector or the other one without disconnecting and re-connecting the video "feed"?

Last but by no means least ... what format of interconnect are you wanting to use?

The answers to these Qs will help me to figure out just what sort of help I can give you.
  • 08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
    lolasdaddy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman
    Before I even attempt to answer your question, I gotta ask:

... just what do you have in mind? What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to run both projectors at the same time? If so, WHY? Or, do you just want to have the option of using one projector or the other one without disconnecting and re-connecting the video "feed"?

Last but by no means least ... what format of interconnect are you wanting to use?

The answers to these Qs will help me to figure out just what sort of help I can give you.

The reason I was going to run them both was I dont really have a deep room to project, but I have a long wall to project on. So with 1 projector I cant move it back far enough to fill the space I want to view the movie on, so if I ran both and slip the image across both projectors I can double my screen size if that makes sence. I was using the component video outputs on my dvd player, and the movies I usually watch are widescreen 16:9. Hope that all makes sence I just cant get the screen size I want with 1 projector due to not being able to set it far enough back. I was trying to seam 2 together like they do with plasmas to make one big image.
  • 08-19-2004, 03:35 PM
    woodman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lolasdaddy
    The reason I was going to run them both was I dont really have a deep room to project, but I have a long wall to project on. So with 1 projector I cant move it back far enough to fill the space I want to view the movie on, so if I ran both and slip the image across both projectors I can double my screen size if that makes sence. I was using the component video outputs on my dvd player, and the movies I usually watch are widescreen 16:9. Hope that all makes sence I just cant get the screen size I want with 1 projector due to not being able to set it far enough back. I was trying to seam 2 together like they do with plasmas to make one big image.

Ok, daddy ... now that I know just what you're trying to do, I can answer your question. No you cannot do what you're contemplating - it takes specially designed circuitry to split the video into two parts before they are input into the projector(s). Simply hooking the same video signal into 2 projectors just won't make it happen the way that you're envisioning it. What you've seen done with plasma displays (and the exact same thing is done with direct-view CRTs as well) has to be pre-processed by special circuitry developed for the purpose.

Just how small is your room anyway?