Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question Home Theater Speaker system

Hello All,
    I am excited to buy my 2nd HT system.. well first one was a Zenith HTiB a very cheap one.. now since I have an entertainment room I want to install a component speaker system. My budget is $1000-$1200. I know for absolute high quality sound this might be very low.. but I consider by self between a casual listener and audiophile. I do not understand the fine differences in sound between various speakers but I can figure out between an "ok" and a very good system. That's IMO. I may be wrong. Till I started hunting for HT system I thought Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha are the best brands..

I will be using the following components
    46" Sony Bravia LCD TV 1080p 120Hz
    PS3
    ATT Uverse box
    May be a DVD player
    Laptop

There are speakers in 4 rooms in the house that were installed by the previous owner, so a multizone feature is required for the AV receiver.

Here are 2 options I had in mind.

AV Receiver

Choice1: Onkyo TX-SR607
    Choice2: Denon AVR1910

Speaker System:
    Choice1:
    • Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system

Choice2:
    • Polk Audio Floor Standing Tsi300 Left/Right
    • Polk Audio CS10 CenterSpeaker
    • Polk Audio PSW505 Powered Subwoofer

I looked at quite a few different speaker systems but none of them were fitting my budget. Please let me know if there are any brands out there that are good and unheard of that will fall in my price range

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Prince

Okay....

Of the two systems you've outlined I'd personally go with the Onkyo 607 and the Polk Speakers. I own the 607 and run it in my upstairs bedroom system. I've found it to be excellent value, fairly straight forward to set up and run. I dislike the new remote, much prefer the older back-lit units, but that's a small quibble.

I don't own either Bose or Polk. If you can, listen to both and see which one you prefer. I have always gone used speakers off the Bay for all my sound systems. I've heard systems using both brands. If buying for myself I'd go witht he Polks but there are many small to medium systems for saled, take a look at what Axiom, Cambridge Soundworks and other companies have to offer and I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.

Worf

Suspended
    I 2nd the 607 and Polk. Without a second look, going from memory the 607 has more features and the HDMI is fully functional and all the HD audio decoders are there.

For affordable decent speakers give a listen to Paradigm, B&W, Energy and Epos. But if they take you over your budget I think you'd be happy with the 607/Polk combo. Polk definitely over Bose, and Polk can be bested for not a lot more money.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Of the two systems you've outlined I'd personally go with the Onkyo 607 and the Polk Speakers. I own the 607 and run it in my upstairs bedroom system. I've found it to be excellent value, fairly straight forward to set up and run. I dislike the new remote, much prefer the older back-lit units, but that's a small quibble.

I don't own either Bose or Polk. If you can, listen to both and see which one you prefer. I have always gone used speakers off the Bay for all my sound systems. I've heard systems using both brands. If buying for myself I'd go witht he Polks but there are many small to medium systems for saled, take a look at what Axiom, Cambridge Soundworks and other companies have to offer and I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.

Worf
    Thanks Worf. Looks like Onkyo wins. I heard good reviews about it, only one thing I wasn't sure about it was if 2/2 zones/sources are enough for my 3 rooms + main room and when they say HD upconversion to 1080i.. does that mean my HDMI tv won't go to its full potential of 1080p or is it only when I try to convert analog sources?

I know there is a Bose showroom where I can go test but will have to look for a shop that has Polk speaker system

Prince

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I 2nd the 607 and Polk. Without a second look, going from memory the 607 has more features and the HDMI is fully functional and all the HD audio decoders are there.

For affordable decent speakers give a listen to Paradigm, B&W, Energy and Epos. But if they take you over your budget I think you'd be happy with the 607/Polk combo. Polk definitely over Bose, and Polk can be bested for not a lot more money.
    Thanks Mr Peabody. Yes Onkyo has all the audio decoders and tons of HDMI connections. I looked at all the brands you suggested but unfortunately all are pushing me out of budget.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    1st choice Paradigm Studio used
    2nd Polk
    Also, look at Marantz, Onkyo runs hot sometimes
    Stay away from Bose
    "No Highs No Lows Must Be Bose"

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    1st choice Paradigm Studio used
    2nd Polk
    Also, look at Marantz, Onkyo runs hot sometimes
    Stay away from Bose
    "No Highs No Lows Must Be Bose"
    Paradigm Studio and Marantz are almost double my budget , but thanks for the Bose warning I like the phrase

Prince

Forum Regular
    How are Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Fluance speakers?

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by priince
    Marantz has a av receiver for $599 with HD audio
    Used Paradigms $$
    Boston Acoustics have a good sound
    I have 130s Satellite and VRC center for sale for $350 if your interested

I'd stay away from Fluence. Boston & Infinity are ok

Forum Regular

Hello Prince. I did some shopping..here's what I found...

Hello All,
    I am excited to buy my 2nd HT system.. well first one was a Zenith HTiB a very cheap one.. now since I have an entertainment room I want to install a component speaker system. My budget is $1000-$1200. I know for absolute high quality sound this might be very low.. but I consider by self between a casual listener and audiophile. I do not understand the fine differences in sound between various speakers but I can figure out between an "ok" and a very good system. That's IMO. I may be wrong. Till I started hunting for HT system I thought Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha are the best brands..

I will be using the following components
    46" Sony Bravia LCD TV 1080p 120Hz
    PS3
    ATT Uverse box
    May be a DVD player
    Laptop

There are speakers in 4 rooms in the house that were installed by the previous owner, so a multizone feature is required for the AV receiver.

Here are 2 options I had in mind.

AV Receiver

Choice1: Onkyo TX-SR607
    Choice2: Denon AVR1910

Speaker System:
    Choice1:
    • Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system

Choice2:
    • Polk Audio Floor Standing Tsi300 Left/Right
    • Polk Audio CS10 CenterSpeaker
    • Polk Audio PSW505 Powered Subwoofer

I looked at quite a few different speaker systems but none of them were fitting my budget. Please let me know if there are any brands out there that are good and unheard of that will fall in my price range

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Prince
    http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/c...-speakers.html

Cambridge Audio Sirocco Series S30
    Executive Office System Shelf Speakers
    with Audiophile Grade Capacitors (PAIR),
    Natural Oak or Black
    Item # #CAMBS30
    Your Price $219.00

Cambridge Audio S50 Sirocco Series Center Channel Speaker (EACH)
    Black or Natural Oak
    Item # S50
    Your Price $199.00

Cambridge Audio S90 Sirocco Series Powered Speakers (EACH)
    Black or Natural Oak
    Item # S90
    Your Price $299.00

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

MORDAUNT SHORT Ms300 5 Piece Speaker Package Maple
    Our Price: $349.99
    Manufactures part #: MS300SM

Canton Movie 100 MX Home Cinema System
    Our Price:$499.99
    Manufactures part #:MV100MX

KEF Kht1005 Uni-q Sattelite Subwoofer Speaker Package In Silver
    Our Price: $349.99
    Manufactures part #:KHT1005

or...

http://www.vanns.com/

Jamo
    A 102 HCS 5 black
    Black 5.1-channel home theater speaker system
    Jamo A 102 HCS 5 black Speakers
    $399.99

Infinity
    TSS-500 CHR
    5.1-Channel Charcoal Total Solutions Series Speaker Packag
    $399.88

Infinity
    TSS-800 CHR
    5.1-Channel Charcoal Total Solutions Series Speaker Package
    $599.88

Definitive Technology
    ProCinema 60.6
    5.1 home theater speaker package
    $399.00

Jamo
    A 102 HCS 5 silver
    Silver 5.1-channel home theater speaker system
    $149.88

Jamo
    S 413 HCS 5
    5.1-channel black home theater speaker system
    $249.88

Onkyo
    SKS-HT540(B)
    7.1-Channel Home Theater Speakers
    $349.98

Klipsch
    HD Theater 300
    $399.94

Jamo
    S 406 HCS 1 Black
    5.0-channel black home-theater speaker system
    $249.88

Mirage
    Nanosat 5.1
    5.1-channel black home theater system
    $599.00

Yamaha
    NSSP1800
    $137.98

Happy shopping.

You should consider doing a 3.1 system with better speakers and sub and then add rear speakers when your budget allows. Consider a pair of PSB Alpha B's or PSB B-15's.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...b_specials.htm

And one of these Monitor Audio subs- http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...io_c_stock.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Onkyo gets warm because they actually produce some current. It's not a problem as long as you give it ventilation. Onkyo will provide some punch and control that not many of their competitors can match. Especially, in the budget end where the 607 is. Not speaking of digital, if a amp/receiver don't produce some heat it doesn't have any balls and that's a fact.

You might find Infinity & Klipsch a bit bright. If more into HT Klipsch does have more of that raw sound like a theater because both Klipsch and movie theaters use horns. Boston back in the day used to not be bad but to me it now sounds awfully muffled. I'd personally prefer Polk.

I don't think many budget receivers will do 3 zones like you want. You may have to eventually get a room switcher. Look at some Sonus products. I have to admit I am not up to speed on the multizone stuff. Except to say don't be fooled by Yamaha's claims of multizone. Splitting hairs they do have multizone but they don't bother to say it doesn't work like you'd want and you have to sacrifice other speaker hook ups.

Forum Regular
    @LMB - I looked on eBay and craigslist but couldn't find any Paradigm deals at the moment. I will keep looking though. Thanks for the offer but I'd like to go for Polk for now.

@audio amateur - That's what I found too after reading few reviews.

@LeRoy - Wow!! That's an awesome list. I'll go through and see if I can find something I like. Thanks a bunch.

@Mr Peabody - Thankfully the previous owner has installed a fan in the cabinet to allow ventilation and the space is designed well, though aesthetically it needs some improvement from outside, which for now is not a priority. I didn't know about heating issue w/ Onkyo so I'll keep an eye on that. Onkyo TX-SR607 is rated the best in its price range when compared to other brands. Also, it fits my budget for the receiver between $400-500. Thanks for the tip.

@blackraven - That's exactly what I am doing. I am not considering satellite speakers for now. Firstly, they are critical for surround but for that I'd have to compromise on Front speakers or sub. I don't want to do that. Secondly, the previous owner left the wall mounted read speakers so for now they will be handy. They are Technics, which is a decent brand I think. Only problem is their placement is as if they are side speakers. I will get them replaced probably in a year.

On a side note, I went to Bose store to get a demo and was impressed w/ their Theater room demo.. no doubt the compactness and quality of Bose is very good and that's to my untrained ears. However, when I went to BestBuy and got a demo of the Polk speakers (all of them that I want).. the quality and sound of center & sub was better even in that not so organized Theater room.. just a feeling. My concern at the moment is the way my room is.. it's an entertainment cum walkout basement. The basement is big since there is a game room attached and both rooms don't have an enclosed door.. in short the entertainment/main room is not small and enclosed so Bose for sure might not work. I will need decent big floor standing speakers. Does anyone have similar room setup..?

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful and helpful answers.

Prince

Suspended
    If you like the Polk then that's what you should get. Out of curiosity did you listen to Klipsch while there? The sound is about opposite Polk but Klipsch is hard to beat when trying to fill a large space with sound because they are so efficient.

The main thing with a room that open and large is finding subs to work in that space. You'll need good quality, large drivers and big power, which will be expensive. I don't know if I'd even buy the little Polk sub. Maybe just save up for one good one and add as money is available.

SVS is my favorite www.svsound.com they start at $569.00 for a cylinder.

Maybe some one will come along with the Rythmic website, I think they may be cheaper but not sure how they'd compare. You may be able to get away with a couple Infinity 12's but i don't know if they'd really be that much cheaper than the SVS and the SVS would be far superior in performance.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If you like the Polk then that's what you should get. Out of curiosity did you listen to Klipsch while there? The sound is about opposite Polk but Klipsch is hard to beat when trying to fill a large space with sound because they are so efficient.

The main thing with a room that open and large is finding subs to work in that space. You'll need good quality, large drivers and big power, which will be expensive. I don't know if I'd even buy the little Polk sub. Maybe just save up for one good one and add as money is available.

SVS is my favorite www.svsound.com they start at $569.00 for a cylinder.

Maybe some one will come along with the Rythmic website, I think they may be cheaper but not sure how they'd compare. You may be able to get away with a couple Infinity 12's but i don't know if they'd really be that much cheaper than the SVS and the SVS would be far superior in performance.
    Oh well.. I didn't I should have. But I knew that at this point I am not ready to spend more $$ even though it might be a significant difference in quality. It is just hard to convince my dear wife to shell out more$$..

I went ahead and purchased Polks.. Crutchfield has a good deal right now. I bought 2 Front Tsi300, Center CS10, and Sub PSW111 for $550.. I am not sure if this will be enough power.. but if not then, do you think I can add another sub... may be a second PSW111 or PSW110? Or just a different sub other than Polk?

I hope they all come out good. at least decent enough to enjoy my action & horror movies.. as well listen to some good music..

Thanks

Suspended
    I didn't say the Klipsch would necessarily sound better, just louder.

You can add a matching sub down the road, or even a different one. When more time I'll have to check that to see the specs.

Enjoy!

Priince, I would not consider Bookshelfs satellite speakers. Many book shelfs sound better than cheap floor standers. Paired with a sub, bookshelfs can be awesome and you already have a sub.

I would take a look at this floor stander- http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT45
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Priince, I would not consider Bookshelfs satellite speakers. Many book shelfs sound better than cheap floor standers. Paired with a sub, bookshelfs can be awesome and you already have a sub.

I would take a look at this floor stander- http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT45
    I agree. Though I am not an expert but after reading a lot about audio and benefit of floorstanding I went for Polk floorstanding speakers. Though they are not the biggest but they are bigger than bookshelf.

Forum Regular
    So here's what I've ordered
    Polk Speaker system (2 Front - TSi300, Center - CS10, Sub - PSW111) - Free sub with purchases over $499
    Onkyo TX-SR 607 w/ extended warranty from newegg (Is this a reliable site?)
    Monoprice speaker wires 12 AWG + Banana Plugs (Closed screw) (Will these also connect the sub to the receiver?)
    x10 IR/RF Extender
    Harmony 880 Advanced Universal remote

I think these should give me a good start. This may not be the best preferred system but the total comes to approx $1100, which is within my budget range of $1000 - $1200.

However, I am confused how I am going to connect my sub to the receiver. Can I use the same speaker wire used for other speakers or is there a special wire/cable to connect the sub? Please advise.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for helping me make an informed decision.

Prince

jvc
    Looks like I'm too late, but I'll tell you anyway.
    A very good quality speaker system is http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
    Along with being an excellent speaker builder, most know that SVS builds one of the best subwoofers on the planet. Just my $.02........
    1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

Suspended
    At some point down the road you might try a pair of Bluejeans cable to see if you hear any improvement . I found them to be better than monoprice at a decent price but whether it makes a difference with HT receiver I'm not sure.

You will need a RCA cable to go from "LFE" or "sub out" on back of receiver to subwoofer. A 5.1 sound track has a dedicated subwoofer channel. Not sure how your sub connections look, some will have two RCA inputs and a Y adapter is needed and some these days are made to where you only need one RCA connection even though two is provided for a different type of hook up. You'll have to check your manual. For HT you would not use the speaker connections in a typical set up.

Forum Regular
    @jvc - Thanks for your 2cents. I looked at those when someone else suggested but unfortunately they weren't within my budget.

@Mr Peabody - Thanks for your guidance. I will try bluejeans cables later. Fortunately I have some RCA cables. I thought my weekend would be wasted if I missed something )

@All - Each advice has been valuable and helpful in making my decision. It was very overwhelming since this is the first time I am putting together different components and stepping outside the world of Sony and Panasonic

Forum Regular
    Wow!! The system looks good. Though the glossy finish of Polk speakers might be a concern to keep it clean.. My entire weekend was spent looking at the speaker and receiver boxes since the wires didn't come till today. I managed to unwrap and get the speaker wires cut out in length. For aesthetic and safety purposes I put banana plugs. I know bare wires are preferred but since am doing it first time I didn't wanna take chances.

One thing I noticed is when I was splicing the wires there were some strands either cut loose or were left half. Is this a concern? There were none loose coming out from banana plugs.

Can some of you post pics of their setup? I might have to place center speaker directly under the TV close to the ground since there is no space underneath the TV. Top of the TV is too narrow. Also, subwoofer will be in a corner on the ground. Will this work?

Suspended
    A lot of subwoofer manufacturers recommend corner placement.

Your wires should be fine as long as a lot of strands weren't damaged.

If it would look alright in the room there are center speaker stands that will help get the center off the floor more. If not, it will be alright under the TV. Unfortunately that's where mine has to be. You can try tilting it up some and sit it out as much as you can get away with. My TV is on a stand with a shelf, so I have to put mine on that shelf. I'm planning to pull it out and place it on it's side to see how tall it is. I might do that during movies and put it back on shelf when not in use it it don't obstruct any views.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information