AR Newbie Registered Member

What is region free and code free mean ?

I was checking on ebay for an OPPO BDP-83DVD and got tangled up on the region and code free language. Maybe this is common knowledge for some of you, but it is greek to me!

The region code is a way of limiting the part of the world in which the disc and the player are used. USA and Canada are in Region 1. Players for those countries play Region 1 discs. Region-free players play discs of all region codes.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks, Are there many product offerings outside of Region 1 that are of particular interest to the general public?

Not that I know of. Suppose you moved here from China and brought your movies with you. You'd need either a region-free player or a Region 6 player to watch your movies.

Oppo's on Ebay..

Before you plunk down your hard earned on a "cracked" player on Ebay some things to remember.

1. These players were bought then cracked to play all regions by third parties.

2. This cracking probably voided the warranty.

3. You're paying a premium for something you might not need. Buy directly from Oppo or Amazon.com.

4. If you update the firmware on a cracked Blu-Ray player you MIGHT just brick it.

Worf

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Before you plunk down your hard earned on a "cracked" player on Ebay some things to remember.

3. You're paying a premium for something you might not need. Buy directly from Oppo or Amazon.com.

4. If you update the firmware on a cracked Blu-Ray player you MIGHT just brick it.

Worf
    Actually, #4 should read - You will brick it! As soon as the firmare is loaded, and the bios recognize this player has been tampered with, it will no longer function.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Worf
    Nice phrase..."brick it".
    Here in the states the term is boat anchor(fill it with cement, use it as a boat anchor).
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Hey!!!! :mad5:

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Nice phrase..."brick it".
    Here in the states the term is boat anchor(fill it with cement, use it as a boat anchor).
    And where do you think I live???!!!! Lower Slobovia??? LOL One of my favorite countries actually!

"Ah Boris, listen to the Balilaikas ringing and the peasants singing and the bullets pinging...."

Worf

nightflier
    Your best option if you need to watch non-region 1 movies, is to buy an inexpensive player that is region free, and keep a better player for most of the rest of the movies. Then don't update the firmware on the cheap player.

Cool

And where do you think I live???!!!! Lower Slobovia??? LOL One of my favorite countries actually!

"Ah Boris, listen to the Balilaikas ringing and the peasants singing and the bullets pinging...."

Worf
    You come across to me as a Limey.
    Sorry, but theres worse things...
    Give me a minute....
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Sound Fanatic
    Response from Oppo regarding the readily-available hardware patch that makes the 80 and 83 Region-free:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppo email response
    They are safe to install.

Technically they void the warranty, but we have never denied a customer service due to modifications. We may remove the mod (if necessary for a repair) but that is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Actually, #4 should read - You will brick it! As soon as the firmare is loaded, and the bios recognize this player has been tampered with, it will no longer function.
    That statement is completely, 100% false. I test-drove the Region-free-hacked firmware with absolutely no problems.

Thread Information