Forum Regular

Home Theater Sound Advice

Hi Everyone,

In the near future, I am going to be installing a home theater system on my main floor. I am planning on mounting a TV, but I'm not sure about surround sound. I am pretty savy when it comes to wiring, installs, etc, but I am considering other options for audio. My first problem is that the room I want to put it in is very open, and I wouldn't be able to mount speakers evenly on 2 parallel walls, and a back wall. Therefore, I really have to focus on putting speakers in the front of the room, right near the TV. I was thinking of maybe putting four small surround sound speakers on each side of my TV. Or, maybe even getting a pair of high quality monitors, that I could mount nearby. Full room surround sound is not an option...

Thanks
    Patrick

Suspended
    Not optimum but have you considered in-ceiling or in-wall to complete the surround aspect? I personally would try looking for a slim floorstanding or stand mount speaker for mains opposed to some kind of multiple speaker per channel config.

I don't know how they'd be for surround sound but take a look at Gallo speakers to see what you think. I heard them once with music and they sounded great but the sub is required. They remind me of shotputs on a stand

Mirage I believe have some slim cabinet speakers. Klipsch and several others make wall mountable speakers. Klipsch having small horns on the wall speaker may tend to be more directional but will play loud with small power and give a theater type sound. Klipsch may not be best if your electronics tend to bright or the open area is reflective/echoing.

Cool

I would look into something like the def-tech pro-cinema series.
    Four mini-monitors on stands, with a decent center and stands.
    The surround stands would be behind the listening area.
    I had a pair once, and they were quite good, and the guy I sold them to loves
    them.
    Any small monitors will do, just be sure they integrate with their woofer module.
    I just mentioned the DEF-TECHS because they are well known for the way they integrate
    with the Subs that are included in their speaker packages.
    Its an all in one solution, but is generally not considered "audiophile" quality
    by the cognesenti.
    But there are several mini monitors out there , stand mounted, that would suit your needs
    and look cool to boot.

http://www.definitivetech.com/
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Just do a 3.1 system (2 fronts, center and a sub), you wont be missing too much. I use a 3.1 system and got rid of my rear speakers because of too many speakers. You could also look at some wireless speakers for the rear or in ceiling/in wall speakers for the rear if you feel you must have 5.1 sound. There are even wireless subwoofers by Martin Logan.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I concur with the other folks that you ought to pursue alternatives for full surround. 3.1 is nice but can never be a substitute.

Even small speakers, not precisely matching the mains & center, will work to give you the full effect. If slim floorstanders won't work, look for in- or on-ceiling speakers, either wired, (preferably), or wireless.

If you want some slim floor standers take a look these Monitor Audio Radius.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    If you want some slim floor standers take a look these Monitor Audio Radius.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picture...s_closeout.htm
    Look at Paradigm in ceiling in wall speakers or or Sonus

Forum Regular
    anybody know of any cheap slim wall speakers?

Seems to me that a little creativity is needed. You said that you were pretty good with wiring right? Do the 3.1 set up as suggested, and possibly looking at a pair of celing mount speakers like Polk or Bose. They have a simple horse shoe bracket that you can toe and tilt into your listening position. Since most rear channel audio is matrix or DPL anyway this is a low tech fix to a mono signal. What is your celing made of? If you are like me, I am better with electronics than I am with carpentry. The thought of cutting a hole in a wall or celing bothers me.

Thread Information