Forum Regular

Question Home Theater DVD CAbles

Hi,
    Has Anyone compared Video cables. I just got a new widescreen tv and dvd and wondering about cables to go from the DVD to the tv,, I have heard lots about Monster cables and the higher end(expensive cables) being far better, is there a difference? the dvd has the older Red, White and yellow RCA style plugs, and S-video plug and also RED BLUE and GREEN also RCA style plugs, The TV also has these same ones. I have heard the Red Blue Green plugs are the prefered ones to use for picture quality, Any thoughts on that?,, I thought S-video was the way to go but not sure now,, I hate to spend over a hundred bucks on cables that are no better then the 10 dollar plugs, is there a difference in the red blue green plugs from the yellow white and red ones other then the coloured ends?
    Thanks A Ton
    Dale M
    Calgary Alberta Canada

Forum Regular
    The yellow, red and white plugs are for composite (just a tad better than RF) with stereo sound.

The svideo connector provides a very noticable upgrade over composite giving much more definition and clarity. Uses red and white RCA jacks for stereo sound too.

The red, green and blue (otherwise known as RGB component) gives the best picture your TV can give. And should be the cable of choice for your DVD player. You will need seperate cables for stereo sound.

There is a 2nd part to your question, regarding branding of cables. I have a 36" Sony and upgraded my component RGB cables from standard RCA cheap cables to audio quest component cables and noticed no difference at all. They cost $30 at Best buy, looked bulky and had the gold end tips. I have never used Monster cables so couldnt tell you if any difference in quality would be evident or not.

In my opinion unless your using a projector or massive TV, using standard cables through the component RGB jacks will give you the best picture. I Wouldnt spend more than $30 on component cables, just use any RCA cables youve got lying around for the sound if your sound will be coming from the TV speakers.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Hi,
    Has Anyone compared Video cables. I just got a new widescreen tv and dvd and wondering about cables to go from the DVD to the tv,, I have heard lots about Monster cables and the higher end(expensive cables) being far better, is there a difference? the dvd has the older Red, White and yellow RCA style plugs, and S-video plug and also RED BLUE and GREEN also RCA style plugs, The TV also has these same ones. I have heard the Red Blue Green plugs are the prefered ones to use for picture quality, Any thoughts on that?,, I thought S-video was the way to go but not sure now,, I hate to spend over a hundred bucks on cables that are no better then the 10 dollar plugs, is there a difference in the red blue green plugs from the yellow white and red ones other then the coloured ends?
    Thanks A Ton
    Dale M
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    As the other poster noted, you want to go with the RGB/Component video option. This also allows you to run your DVD player in Progressive scan mode if that's an option on it.

In regards to cable, I can tell you this. I personally did a comparison of a) AMX component video cable ($39 Canadian) versus regular Monster component video cable ($99 Canadian) and b) regular Monster component video cable ($99 Canadian) versus the higher-end Monster component video cable ($219 Canadian). Now, for both tests, I ran each set of cables to two different Panasonic RP-56 DVD players (one was mine and the other was my buddy's). We ran each player to different RGB inputs on the back of my Panasonic PT-47WX51 widescreen TV and ran through various video tests on the Sound and Vision calibration disc and then ran several scenes from a variety of DVD's. The end result -- there was NO noticably difference in any of the cables. The AMX looked just as sharp as the $219 Monster cable.

FYI -- one thing that your salesman won't tell you is that the cost price that they pay for the Monster cable is insanely low in comparison to what they sell it for. I can assure you that the $99 Monster cable that I tested had close to the same cost price as the $39 AMX.

Save your money and buy a well-sheilded, well priced cable for far less than Monster. Better yet, tell the salesman you want to compare the Monster cable with another cable and have him write down that you can return it if you're not totally happy with it. Then you can test it against the other brands and see for yourself.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Keith from Canada
    As the other poster noted, you want to go with the RGB/Component video option. This also allows you to run your DVD player in Progressive scan mode if that's an option on it.

In regards to cable, I can tell you this. I personally did a comparison of a) AMX component video cable ($39 Canadian) versus regular Monster component video cable ($99 Canadian) and b) regular Monster component video cable ($99 Canadian) versus the higher-end Monster component video cable ($219 Canadian). Now, for both tests, I ran each set of cables to two different Panasonic RP-56 DVD players (one was mine and the other was my buddy's). We ran each player to different RGB inputs on the back of my Panasonic PT-47WX51 widescreen TV and ran through various video tests on the Sound and Vision calibration disc and then ran several scenes from a variety of DVD's. The end result -- there was NO noticably difference in any of the cables. The AMX looked just as sharp as the $219 Monster cable.

FYI -- one thing that your salesman won't tell you is that the cost price that they pay for the Monster cable is insanely low in comparison to what they sell it for. I can assure you that the $99 Monster cable that I tested had close to the same cost price as the $39 AMX.

Save your money and buy a well-sheilded, well priced cable for far less than Monster. Better yet, tell the salesman you want to compare the Monster cable with another cable and have him write down that you can return it if you're not totally happy with it. Then you can test it against the other brands and see for yourself.
    ditto to what keith said and head out to your local Radio Shack (If they have one up there) and get the gold series cables for about 20-30 bucks for 10' length.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I have tried different brands and the dayton Audio at Parts Express seem to work as well as any of the rest I have tried. You may want to take a look and see what you think. They look well made and the price is reasonable.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=167

They also have specials all the time. Take a look!!
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Forum Regular
    I bought 2 AR svideo cables (tv doesnt have component) I noticed a cleaner picture over the cheap one I had to start myself off with. I wouldnt spen money on Monster but I did go for AR. Now 99% of my cables are AR

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale M
    Hi,
    Thanks A Ton
    Dale M
    Calgary Alberta Canada

A number of year ago an audio club member did a video cable test with a 120V power extension cord, long one, very long one. Couldn't see much difference.
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information