Forum Regular

Inexpensive DVD player suggestion?

Hey all.

My Panasonic RP-56 is on it's last legs largely due to the fact that it's been forced to run Baby Einstein and Dora the Explorer non-stop for my 2 year old daughter.

I'm looking to replace it with an inexpensive progressive scan player. My TV is a 47" HD widescreen made by Panasonic so going the Panny route would allow slightly higher ease of use for my wife who could just use the TV remote.

NOTE -- I am looking to purchase a projector sometime in the next year and I'll also be getting a higher-end HD upscaling DVD player then. This DVD player will stay with my current TV and continue to play kids movies and the likes. My criteria are:

1) relatively inexpensive (no more than $150 CAN)
    2) reasonable good with scratched DVD's
    3) Best PQ in progressive scan mode for the $'s that I'm spending.

Any suggestions?

Toshiba all the way. I picked up a cheapo Toshiba from Costco for around $50 a few years ago for the same exact type of usage and it has never failed, skipped, or done anything untoward. It's only downfall is an agonizingly long load time. Otherwise, the picture and audio are remarkably good for what is, essentially, a throw away item.

Forum Regular
    I would suggest spending the extra ~90$ and get the Panasonic S-77. From what i've been reading it has absolutly stellar PQ, it up-converts, and comes with an HDMI cable. I realize you were wanting to get an unconverting unit later, but i think this would be a good investment, esp. w/ HD-DVD around the corner (which you might consider for a projector). I've read nothing but great reviews about this player.

Check this link:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

Wayne

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wayner86
    I would suggest spending the extra ~90$ and get the Panasonic S-77. From what i've been reading it has absolutly stellar PQ, it up-converts, and comes with an HDMI cable. I realize you were wanting to get an unconverting unit later, but i think this would be a good investment, esp. w/ HD-DVD around the corner (which you might consider for a projector). I've read nothing but great reviews about this player.

Check this link:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

Wayne

You see...I knew this was going to happen. I ask for a cheap sollution and I get the argument that for just a little bit more, I could do much better. Don't you people know that I am easily swayed by such arguments! I'm an HT junkie for goodness sake...of course I'll spend more money!!!

Seriously -- thanks for the recommendation but I neglected to point out that my Panny is an earlier model that doesn't include an HDMI input. That being said, I will still take a look at the Panny and test the proverbial waters at home to see if going over my proposed budget will meet the wife acceptance factor.

Forum Regular
    Sorry Keith my suggestion was a little hasty, If you aren't really going to benefit from HDMI or upscaling at the moment, and you just need a decent quality workhorse for the time being then i should have said the Panasonic S-49 ($149 CAD). Still a good quality player, hold the upscaling. Although the S-77 is a great unit, by the time you buy a projector, true HD-DVD players should be available, and that may be a more attractive option.

Wayne

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Go used.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wayner86
    Sorry Keith my suggestion was a little hasty, If you aren't really going to benefit from HDMI or upscaling at the moment, and you just need a decent quality workhorse for the time being then i should have said the Panasonic S-49 ($149 CAD). Still a good quality player, hold the upscaling. Although the S-77 is a great unit, by the time you buy a projector, true HD-DVD players should be available, and that may be a more attractive option.

Wayne
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I happened to walk into a "Source" store on the weekend and saw the Panasonic S-27 on for $29 CAD. It came without a box or remote but had the full warranty. The guy at the store said that it had been on display for over 3 months but had never been hooked up to a TV. For $29, I really couldn't loose.

Oh yeah...my RP-56 remote works perfectly with the S-27 so the lack of remote is not an issue at all for me.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Good find.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Good find.
    Yeah...I was pleased. Even if it sucks as a player, it will keep spinning Dora the Explorer and whatever my daughter happens to get addicted to next. At the end of the day, when I get my projector and upscaling DVD player, this one will be moved onto permanent kids movie duty.

I am thinking there must be a Pioneer out there that could handle that....perhaps the DV568...I think that's the correct model. I have had great success with Pioneer in flexibilty and quality for it's price. Bang for buck...keep saying that over and over.

Forum Regular

DVD player Won't Matter For Scratched Discs

If a DVD is scratched up chances are it won't play right on any player, no matter what the price. You might invest in one of these repair/cleaner kits, they might help in some cases. I use hot water & again I have partial success. I would try if you haven't done so, holding DVDs by the edges & not putting them on any surface. It seems the slightest fingerprint can screw these things up.

Forum Regular
    the cd/dvd cleaning kits actually work pretty well. i bought one for my bro for christmas last year and the skipping stopped! also, i've noticed the dvd player does in fact matter if a cd/dvd would skip. for example, some of my dvds/cds skip on my newer dvd player, but not my older sony.

keith, i hope you're enjoying your new inexpensive player!

Thread Information