Thread: new hd tv

Forum Regular

new hd tv

looking for a new HD tv sub $2000. After some viewing, research and price comparison, I'm down to the Toshiba 52HM84 (DLP) or 51 H84 (CRT). Basically what I like about the crt (no worries about the lamp life, or dead pixels and a few hundred cheaper) is becoming more overshadowed by the weight issue. An 85 pound TV is going to be alot easier to move in 4 months than a 165 pound TV. I'm sort of concerned about the real life occurances of these problems. I assume this is a rehash, but it's not letting me search for CRT or DLP, need to be four letters.

That's basically it in a nutshell. DLPs do have an advantage over CRTs in size/weight and uneven screen burn (as well as the absence of convergence--that was your earlier question, right?). But you will eventually have to replace the bulb on a DLP, and, as unlikely as it is, face the risk of a dead pixel. But things go wrong with CRTs, too, though admittedly fewer of them at this stage of the game. But in some ways, bulb replacement is a benefit, since a decaying tube cannot be revived. Whatever you buy today will probably outlive its usefulness, anyway. No one can tell you how to weigh the various differences and hazards. If you don't mind one man's opinion, try not to let the agony of indecision keep you from HD for too long. It won't have been worth it. Whatever you get will be loads of fun. When you've done your homework and made your choice, no demon that you failed to see is going to jump out from behind the screen and spoil the moment.

DIYaudiophilehack
    Something else to consider. Just how well is light controlled in the viewing room? I think you'll find more often than not that the CRT RPTV's are tougher for off-angle viewing and more prone to wash out from ambient light. I recently went through the same decision making process and settled on the 52HM94. Weight, off-angle viewing and ambient light conditions were the conclusive factors in my case. Pretty happy with my choice.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info. I've looked around a little, and it seems a replacement lamp would cost about $300. Is it a legitimate worry that I may not be able to get a replacement lamp at a later date. I was thinking of just buying an extra one now so that I have one when it goes in a few years if they stop making them. Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that? Such as if they are very sensitive or shouldn't sit around in a closet for a few years. I kindof figure with a major brand like Toshiba that won't be going out of business any time soon it won't be a problem, but you never know.
    I did notice the better off angle viewing with DLPs as well as the brighter picture which is a nice combination. As far as the rainbow effect, I watched some friends playing video games for 5 or ten minutes, and have watched them in stores, and have never noticed the rainbows as has my girlfriend. Is that enough or is it something that I may not notice until an hour of straight viewing.

I don't think you'd have to worry about getting a replacement lamp in a couple of years. Many people keep their TVs for a lot longer than that, and manufacturers know it. Aftermarket companies often pick up on replacement parts for older components, but I'll bet that you won't have yours long enough to worry about it. Plus, few companies can afford to make something like a lamp that applies to only one product. Chances are, it will continue to work in a bunch of different applications for some time to come. Other than that, it's just a question of whether the lamp lies around in your house or in the manufacturer's warehouse. It doesn't matter.

If you're susceptible to rainbows, the evidence is that you should see them pretty quickly. They don't depend on special circumstances to appear. Sit down in front of the set and watch a colorful picture for fifteen minutes or so.

Ed

DIYaudiophilehack
    Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    Thanks for the info. I've looked around a little, and it seems a replacement lamp would cost about $300. Is it a legitimate worry that I may not be able to get a replacement lamp at a later date. I was thinking of just buying an extra one now so that I have one when it goes in a few years if they stop making them. Is there any reason that I shouldn't do that? Such as if they are very sensitive or shouldn't sit around in a closet for a few years. I kindof figure with a major brand like Toshiba that won't be going out of business any time soon it won't be a problem, but you never know.
    I did notice the better off angle viewing with DLPs as well as the brighter picture which is a nice combination. As far as the rainbow effect, I watched some friends playing video games for 5 or ten minutes, and have watched them in stores, and have never noticed the rainbows as has my girlfriend. Is that enough or is it something that I may not notice until an hour of straight viewing.
    I've found the direct replacement lamp assembly for my set on the net at $200. As mentioned by others, I wouldn't worry about them going away any time soon. If anything, it seems prices on lamps should drop even further in the future. One thing worth mentioning about off-angle viewing is that my earlier statements refer to lateral angles. Changes in vertical viewing elevation greatly affect image brightness on DLP sets. If I get up to leave the room and someone gets a hit in the ball game I find myself stooping to see the picture more clearly. More dramatic for me because I'm tall and viewing from very close but worth mentioning anyway.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info, I think I'll make my decision after another weekend or two of viewing and such, one more question. Is buying an upsampling dvd player worth it? From what I've read, but haven't had a chance to witness, it is, plus, I currently have a non-progressive player so I'll be buying a new one anyway. Are there any that are better at upsampling than others in the $150-200 range?

Thread Information