AR Newbie Registered Member

Getting static from my speakers. Please help.

I recently bought a yamaha htib system for my parents but every couple hours or so it starts spitting out static. When I change the channel it goes away temporarily. It seems to be totally random. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

A couple of questions...

1. Is it doing this with all inputs? In other words do you get this hissing with TV, CD's, DVD's or only when doing one particular thing? If it only happens with one source then you've got your problem isolated.

2. Is this system hooked up to a cable box? The sometimes have tuner interference that sounds quite similar.

Da Worfster

Actually now that you mentioned it I've only noticed it when they watch cable. I'll ahve to watch some dvds to test that theory. If it is tuner interference from my box, Should I just move the box away from the speakers?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro
    Actually now that you mentioned it I've only noticed it when they watch cable. I'll ahve to watch some dvds to test that theory. If it is tuner interference from my box, Should I just move the box away from the speakers?
    No - if it proves to be a problem that occurs only when watching cableTV, then the cable company must solve it ... probably by replacing the cable "box". Simply moving the box further away from the speakers will do nothing, and/or moving the cable box further away from the Yamaha receiver/amplifier will likewise do nothing to effect a cure. The static is most likely originating in the cable box itself, and is being fed (by the audio interconnects) directly into the amplifier and then on to the speakers.

If the problem occurs on all sources, then it's originating in the Yamaha amplifier - which will require either replacement or servicing. If it's nearly brand-new, the retailer should simply replace it for you.

Hope this helps
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

i think its fixed

hmmm. I moved the box before reading your post and I haven't heard any static for a couple days now. Before it happened quite frequently, so I'm pretty sure its fixed now. Is it possible that the box was just causing some kind of interference?

Thread Information