Hey Two New Flavors of the Oppo BD-83

If high end audio is what you crave there are and a world class BD player isn't enough reason to by the OPPO, now there's 2 new reasons to check this brand out.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/
    Oppo's "Special Edition" BR player is upgraded audio for about $900.

AND not to be outdone....

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/o...83se/index.php
    Nuforce gives you even more audio goodness for $1,200 samolians.

Who knew?

Da Worfster

Seems like they're trying to now lock up the high end of the BD market. They've gone all-in on a couple of audiophile-grade models that still cost at least $700 less than Denon's lowest priced universal BD/SACD player.

Kinda sad though that Oppo has abandoned the value segment of the market by discontinuing their DVD universal players. Their $300 universal player was widely acclaimed as one of the best SACD players on the market, and its audio performance was purportedly superior to their higher end models, including the BDP-83. Now, you gotta shell out $900 to get upgraded audio performance.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Seems like they're trying to now lock up the high end of the BD market. They've gone all-in on a couple of audiophile-grade models that still cost at least $700 less than Denon's lowest priced universal BD/SACD player.

Kinda sad though that Oppo has abandoned the value segment of the market by discontinuing their DVD universal players. Their $300 universal player was widely acclaimed as one of the best SACD players on the market, and its audio performance was purportedly superior to their higher end models, including the BDP-83. Now, you gotta shell out $900 to get upgraded audio performance.
    Why sell a $170 product, (like my Oppo DV-680H), when you can sell a $500 or $900 product. This is audiophile hifi is all about.

By the way, a while ago my 680H quit playing SACDs, after the warranty period of course. I'm pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Why sell a $170 product, (like my Oppo DV-680H), when you can sell a $500 or $900 product. This is audiophile hifi is all about.

By the way, a while ago my 680H quit playing SACDs, after the warranty period of course. I'm pissed off.
    Amen to that.

Sorry to hear about the Oppo konking out. Did you ever contact them about repair options?

My Sony SACD changer gradually stopped reading hybrid discs (it would only detect the CD layer), so it got sent back to Sony's repair center for servicing. In my case, it was still under warranty (thank goodness for the 5-year coverage on Sony's ES line), and they wound up replacing the optical drive. Reading some of the posts on other sites, it seems that the optical drive was a problem on Sony's lower end SACD changers (which includes my model). The replacement drive alone would have cost $170 if I'd ordered it from a parts vendor.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    If you stick to HDMI, you don't have to worry about the upgrade. I find CD/SACD/DVD-A playback through HDMI as good as anything out there. I do not know why anyone would rather stick to analog paths and have to go through all of this trouble and expense to get the best out of it. The Oppo gives you the opportunity to shut of all video circuitry during audio disc playback, so there is no reason not to stay all digital from the disc to the receiver or pre-pro DAC. If the analog path costs $400+ dollars to get right, then that is not the path for me.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

nightflier
    Well if you happen to have a McIntosh or McCormack preamp with 7.1 channel inputs, then the analog outs on the player are not just nice, but required. Yes, it took some tweaking but now my system sounds considerably better than any receiver I've heard. Granted, I know that receivers are cheap, even good ones like the Onkyo, so this isn't necessarily the low-cost alternative, even though it is video-less, but the sound quality, or rather purity, is very very good.

Anyhow, for this kind of setup, the Oppo BDP-83se is a significant opportunity. While I'm not exactly thrilled to see they've phased out the other players, I'm also happy that they are addressing the concerns of audiophiles with the new player. There was some grumbling online that the audio quality was good, but not remarkable. It will be interesting to see if this player's audio quality lives up to a higher standard. My player qualifies for the upgrade, so I may just go for it.

I would accually like to see this upgraded player put against some of the other cd and multi disk players out there in the high end market to see how it stacks up. and would like to also see the origional player with a quality dac priced to make it up to the upgraded players price like a musicland md-10 or something like it and see how they compare. It would be an interesting comparison.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information