Forum Regular

IR Repeater Work?

Hey Guys -

Don't know if this is even in the right section.

I want to buy a piece of furniture that will sit below a hung plasma and hold all the components (NAD receiver, dvd player, plasma box, cable box, etc.). The piece will have doors made of wood that i want closed all of the time. The furn will be vented out the back.

I want to be able to keep all the componets hidden and all the doors of the cabinet closed, even when the tv, etc. is in use.

I spoke to a guy at harvey electronics in nyc and he said that can happen if we install and IR repeater. He said it relays infrared signals into the components.

Anyone have an experience with one of these?
    Do they work great? I'm buying an expensive piece of furn and don't want it not to work.
    Which one(s) are best? Least intrusive/noticeable?

Thanks in advance. Any help greatly appreciated.

Scott

I've seen IR repeating setups, and they work like a charm. One setup used an RF remote with a control unit that relayed the signals onto the equipment using tiny IR transmitters mounted onto the remote sensors. Very useful for installed setups where you have the equipment in a different room or other location where you can't easily point the remote.

Home Theater Master makes a RF-IR remote control setup that allows you to do all of this.

http://www.universalremote.com/urc/

An alternative would be to go with a cabinet that uses a glass door or perforated metal screen. My audio cabinet has a perforated screen and even with the door closed, the remotes work fine.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com

Forum Regular
    IR Repeaters work by converting your IR signal into a radio frequency, transmiting it through the airwaves and converting it back to an IR frequency in a place that your devices can "See".

they work well if you can place the repeater in a place your devices can actually see. Problems will arise if you try to set everything up inside a cabinet and the reapeaters cant be "Seen" by all your devices.

Radio Shack has cheap repeating devices you can try.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hermann_giron
    IR Repeaters work by converting your IR signal into a radio frequency, transmiting it through the airwaves and converting it back to an IR frequency in a place that your devices can "See".

they work well if you can place the repeater in a place your devices can actually see. Problems will arise if you try to set everything up inside a cabinet and the reapeaters cant be "Seen" by all your devices.

Radio Shack has cheap repeating devices you can try.
    IR repeaters do not convert signals to RF, it just "relays" the signal to the appropiate device. The repeater does not need to been seen at all, just the IR sensor- these can flush mounted, surface mounted, or table top. These systems at thier simplest consist of: IR extender, a sensor, and a emmitter(s)

Thread Information