Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900

    Help with Oppo BDP-83 set up please

    OK, having a brain cramp here and think I have it right but it never hurts to check.

    Equipment:
    BDP-83
    Arcam AVP 700 pre/pro

    Oppo connected to the Arcam via 5.1 analog cables to the DVD-A in. Through the Arcam set up menu, the subwoofer has been boosted by 10 DB. Arcam's manual claims it's important to do this for bass on DVD-A's. It's just not clear if that's due to something inherent in DVD-A's or the DVD-A input on the Arcam.

    There are speaker settings for the Oppo but I'm assuming that the size, distance, and sound levels as set on the Arcam are the ones being used.

    Does this sound correct or do I have something screwed up?

    Many thanks,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  2. #2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    OK, having a brain cramp here and think I have it right but it never hurts to check.

    Equipment:
    BDP-83
    Arcam AVP 700 pre/pro

    Oppo connected to the Arcam via 5.1 analog cables to the DVD-A in. Through the Arcam set up menu, the subwoofer has been boosted by 10 DB. Arcam's manual claims it's important to do this for bass on DVD-A's. It's just not clear if that's due to something inherent in DVD-A's or the DVD-A input on the Arcam.

    There are speaker settings for the Oppo but I'm assuming that the size, distance, and sound levels as set on the Arcam are the ones being used.

    Does this sound correct or do I have something screwed up?

    Many thanks,
    jc
    It sounds right to me. If you just leave the setup tools (distance, speaker size and levels) at their default position, the Arcam setting will be the ones heard.

    The 10db bass boost is going to be an issue with SACD playback, as it does not mandate a bass boost to its signals. I hope it is defeatable if necessary. As far as I can gather, the boost will be good for Dts, DVD-A, but not DD, SACD, or PCM.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  3. #3
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It sounds right to me. If you just leave the setup tools (distance, speaker size and levels) at their default position, the Arcam setting will be the ones heard.

    The 10db bass boost is going to be an issue with SACD playback, as it does not mandate a bass boost to its signals. I hope it is defeatable if necessary. As far as I can gather, the boost will be good for Dts, DVD-A, but not DD, SACD, or PCM.
    Thanks for the reply, as always.

    I think it's probably correct too! However here's what Oppo says in the manual that has me baffled:

    Manual page 61: "Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings."

    but then it says on page 63: "Speaker distance compensation is not required if the A/V receiver has the capability to adjust channel delay and compensate for speaker distance differences. However, if your receiver does not have such functions (most receivers do not offer these functions for their multi-channel analog input), you may adjust them through the player. Speaker distance delay is only applied if the player is decoding multi-channel audio. If you use bitstream audio output to your A/V receiver, the bitstream audio is not adjusted for speaker distance delay.

    Makes my head swim...I guess to be sure I need to call Arcam and ask them if the speaker settings are applied to the DVD-A analog inputs. I guess I could also get a blu-ray copy of Avia or some other calibration disc and check it with my SPL meter. That might the be smartest route to take.

    This stuff didn't used to be so complicated!

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  4. #4
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Thanks for the reply, as always.

    I think it's probably correct too! However here's what Oppo says in the manual that has me baffled:

    Manual page 61: "Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings."
    Translation-Speaker configuration does not apply to the HDMI output.

    but then it says on page 63: "Speaker distance compensation is not required if the A/V receiver has the capability to adjust channel delay and compensate for speaker distance differences. However, if your receiver does not have such functions (most receivers do not offer these functions for their multi-channel analog input), you may adjust them through the player. Speaker distance delay is only applied if the player is decoding multi-channel audio. If you use bitstream audio output to your A/V receiver, the bitstream audio is not adjusted for speaker distance delay.
    Translation-Speaker distance compensation does not apply to the HDMI output.

    Makes my head swim...I guess to be sure I need to call Arcam and ask them if the speaker settings are applied to the DVD-A analog inputs. I guess I could also get a blu-ray copy of Avia or some other calibration disc and check it with my SPL meter. That might the be smartest route to take.

    This stuff didn't used to be so complicated!

    jc
    It is not that things have gotten more complicated, it is peoples writing skills are getting worse.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  5. #5
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible



    It is not that things have gotten more complicated, it is peoples writing skills are getting worse.
    I think as I get older my reading comprehension may also be in decline. Thank you Terrence.

    Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  6. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    Jim, when you use the analog out you MUST adjust the speaker settings inside the Oppo. When using the analog outs the decoding is done inside the unit. The multichannel input bypasses the Arcam's processing.

    Does the AVR-700 have HDMI? I don't think it does so you'd want to use the analog input for everything from the Oppo. The Oppo will deliver the HD audio from Blu-ray and SACD. The coaxial or optical audio inputs will not carry Tru-HD or DTS-MA.

  7. #7
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Jim, when you use the analog out you MUST adjust the speaker settings inside the Oppo. When using the analog outs the decoding is done inside the unit. The multichannel input bypasses the Arcam's processing.

    Does the AVR-700 have HDMI? I don't think it does so you'd want to use the analog input for everything from the Oppo. The Oppo will deliver the HD audio from Blu-ray and SACD. The coaxial or optical audio inputs will not carry Tru-HD or DTS-MA.
    That seems to be the same feedback I'm getting from the folks at Arcam. Too bad the Oppo doesn't generate test tones so that I can calibrate the speakers without grabbing a separate set up disk. I'm also not wild about the fact that I can't set delays to each speaker independently only in pairs.

    On the other hand, I haven't been too impressed with the SQ of this thing, the bass seemed lacking. Guess I know why now : )

    One final question - do you think I can still use my old Avia DVD set up disc for the audio or would there be some reason to need a blu-ray version.

    Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,176
    The old Avia should be fine for audio. The only thing it may not address is that 10dB sub out issue. If there's a test tone for sub though you can easily compensate for yourself using the SPL meter. I thought that the 10dB issue was addressed by all the manufacturers though, apparently not all.

  9. #9
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    The old Avia should be fine for audio. The only thing it may not address is that 10dB sub out issue. If there's a test tone for sub though you can easily compensate for yourself using the SPL meter. I thought that the 10dB issue was addressed by all the manufacturers though, apparently not all.
    I think the rub with the 10db issue is manufacturer to manufacturer issue, with some getting it right, and others.....well....just not showing a level of competency on the issue.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  10. #10
    jvc
    jvc is offline
    Still Learnin' jvc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    121
    The reason for the 10db hike on the sub settings is because most receivers/amps don't offer bass management when using the multi-channel analog connections, so the 10db will add some bass.

    Mr Peabody is right. You must use the distance and level settings in the player, because when using the multi-channel analog connections, the player is doing the processing. Since there's no test tones, I'd just use the same settings that's in the receiver/amp, if you're happy with those.
    1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

  11. #11
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    The reason for the 10db hike on the sub settings is because most receivers/amps don't offer bass management when using the multi-channel analog connections, so the 10db will add some bass.

    Mr Peabody is right. You must use the distance and level settings in the player, because when using the multi-channel analog connections, the player is doing the processing. Since there's no test tones, I'd just use the same settings that's in the receiver/amp, if you're happy with those.
    Yeah, I've basically got it figured out that the preamp is simply a volume control at this point.

    I had to set the level with an SPL meter and even then it wasn't as ideal as it should be. The oppo requires that the fronts/Surrounds/Rears be set up in pairs. Not a problem in an perfect environment but I can't have the only non-perfect room around. Also I can't set the distance for the sub any further than the front speakers even though it's in a corner 2 feet beyond the front speakers. No huge deal but IMO an oversight that I hope Oppo corrects in a future firmware update.

    Thanks to all for the pointers.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •