Audio Enthusiast

Center Channel Position

What is the best position to place a center channel ? Some people places it on TOP of TV and some others place it BELOW the TV ? Any advice ? Thanks

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    What is the best position to place a center channel ? Some people places it on TOP of TV and some others place it BELOW the TV ? Any advice ? Thanks
    Well, the best place would be right inside the TV screen but since that isn't really possible for most people, either above or below works just fine. I think now, most are designed with the assumption that they'll be placed on top of TV's, and baffle step compensation is adjusted accordingly, I'd probably stick with placing it above the TV, the speaker would have more room to breath since the wall is further back than the TV's lower half.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

On the top is best

If you place it too low you will have a tendancy to get floor reflections that will muddy the imaging.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I prefer on top of the TV position, but after I purchased my Hitachi 57S715 it was impossible. The new Hitachi didn't have a flat top any more and I haven't seen a shelf kit which can handle my 42lb Legacy Silver Screen. I currently have it on a stand in front of the TV. It looks/sounds as good as on top of the TV, but I have to tilt it up slightly for imaging. Since I have plush carpeting reflections from the floor don't seem to be an issue.

Forum Regular
    Actually, the best position to place the center channel speaker, from an acoustical point of view, is on the same horizontal plane as the tweeters of your front main speakers: This is also assuming that the mains are setup so that the tweeters are roughly at ear level when you are seated. It is often not possible to achieve this due to the video display being in the way, but it is a good guideline and something to strive for. There are drawbacks to placing the center speaker ontop of the TV set, which include the center speaker being too high and resonances and vibrations between the speaker and the TV cabinet. One solution that can work well in certain circumstances, depending on aesthetics and the WAF, is to place the center speaker on a seperate stand in front of and just below the TV screen. If this method is chosen, one should take care to pull the main speaker forward so that the center speaker is not too far in front of the mains. It may also be necessary to tilt the center speaker slightly up toward the primary listening position. As with most of this stuff, it takes playing around with placements to achieve the best results/compromises for your particular situation. But like I said, keeping the front three speakers on the same horizontal plane is something good to strive for.

Q

Thread Information