AR Newbie Registered Member

Help with home audio system!

My girlfriend wants a new stereo system she has tile in her living room so she'd like something compact not a million speakers and wires maybe a reciver,subwoofer,2 speakers and maybe a middle chanel. Can anyone recomend something around 500-600$
    or recomend a reciver and sub,speakers separate?
    Thxx

Forum Regular
    Boombox Play that Jay Z, funky Wolfman!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeinstein
    My girlfriend wants a new stereo system she has tile in her living room so she'd like something compact not a million speakers and wires maybe a reciver,subwoofer,2 speakers and maybe a middle chanel. Can anyone recomend something around 500-600$
    Thxx
    Recv = $200-$300 Yamaha, Onkyo, pioneer, HK, Marantz.......
    Bookshelves = $300 Go and listen to alot of bookshelves in this price range.

Worry about a sub later, when you get some more money saved.

Why do you need a center channel, do you plan on watching movies or just using this system for music? You said stereo system

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Boombox Play that Jay Z, funky Wolfman!
    huh?

Forum Regular
    $500-600 is probably pushing the limits as far as being able to geta anything decent. You can probably pick up a good receiver for a little over $200. Yamaha is a good value in that price range. There is also a new Pioneer out there for around $300 I think, that has been getting very good reviews lately, but I am not sure of the model.

As far as speakers, you are left with $200-400 depending how much you spent on the receiver. Bookshelfs are probably your best bet. Athena speakers are a good value for the money (carried at Worst Buy). I don't have any of them, but have listened to some and liked them, especially in that price range. Save up for a good sub later on (Velodyne, SVS, Athena).

If you plan to add on for a home theather later on with surround speakers and a center channel, make sure it is possible to match them to whatever bookshelfs you end up buying or you will have a major headache later. It is very important that the center channel be timbre matched to the other front speakers. It is not as critical with the surrounds, although it is still the ideal situation.

Hope this helps

Forum Regular

this would work great for her.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeinstein
    Thxx

http://www.niro1.com/us/

-ps

Thread Information