• 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
    Xilanxiv
    Help finding decent HT system
    Hello, I was wondering if I could beg some advice from the more experienced audiophiles and techs here. I'm currently looking for a low to mid range home theater system. I've been reading reviews and posts on this site and others for about a month and a half now, and now that the christmas bonus is in the bank, I'm ready to make a decision, but still am quite unsure what to get.

I'm looking for a 5.1 system, high quality sound, doesn't need to be very powerful for my small apartment. This will be used for both movies and music, I listen to more music than movie, but I'd like to be able to have good sound when I bring friends over for a movie. My budget is $300 up to $800, although being a student I can always find uses for extra money, so the less spent the better. I've been quite impressed with Klipsch speakers, perhaps the Klipsch Quintet II or III, and yamaha has some good receivers from what I understand, although I'm not sure my budget can go high enough for these. I'm also not sure whether I want to chance buying a box set from a store, or piece something together that I can add to at a later date.

I was considering these speakers, Fluance AV-HTB, because the price is very nice, and I could get a decent receiver and sub and other gear to fill it out, however a micro system would be preferable with my living situation.

I have some audio tech experience, but it's mostly limited to professional concert and PA equipment, so it's difficult not working with the budget of a school, church or club.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.
  • 01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
    johnny p
    are you starting out at step one???? no current receiver or any speakers? If that's the case, although I know you want to get a 5.1 system immediately, it may be in your best interest to get a receiver, a pair of fronts, and center channel...... then add a sub in the future, and surrounds even later. I have to assume you already have a CD player/DVD player because you didn't mention it as part of the budget....... what is all of your current equipment?
  • 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM
    Xilanxiv
    Yes, I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I have a tv (not even hd yet, that'll come later) and dvd player. I have considered just getting a good receiver and 2 good front speakers, as I would like to listen to music on this system as well as watch movies, and later add the surround speakers. If I buy a high quality set of fronts, will I need to match those will high quality surrounds later, or could I match some low to mid range backs with them. Also, will a center speaker be used much for music? I think music is mostly just stereo, unless you have, well, dvd audio or something more than the normal cd.

Just for more information, as I know this will affect what I can do, the living room is fairly small, and get ready, cinderblock walls, even on the inside. No, I'm not in prison lol. I still want good speakers that will serve well for a number of years, as well as have quality sound. I might have to get creative with my place to change the acoustics, but that'll come after.
  • 01-06-2008, 07:37 AM
    johnny p
    Wall hangings would serve you wonders!!!! but as far as matching high-quality surrounds with the fronts, here is my take......

For Home Theater the Center channel is the most attention grabbing/important speaker in the system, followed by the fronts...... if you're going mostly music, the Fronts are obviously the most crucial place to start. Then the sub, then the surrounds...... you can put very cheap surrounds with very high end fronts/center/sub because the surrounds play just the ambient sounds etc. and background scores, etc. etc. so if you could get the fronts/center/sub you could honestly get a used set of bookshelf speakers for the surrounds for $50 and be happy. I'd search craigslist, etc. for used components also.... if you keep your eyes open, you'll find a good deal.
  • 01-06-2008, 03:31 PM
    Xilanxiv
    Ok, I'm thinking getting fronts and a good receiver will do me for now, maybe a center and sub next, and surrounds last. So I've used and liked Yamaha receivers in the past. What are other brands that will have high quality sound, plenty of options to expand in the future, and are reliable. If I'm shooting for just fronts and receiver, I can buy much better than I was planning. Also, I'm never heard B&Ws, but I've seen lots written about them, and I see you're using them in your set up. The best speakers I've personally heard were some Klipsch that a friend had, but I haven't heard a few of the other big name brands I see mentioned here. Any thoughts?
  • 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
    blackraven
    Consider Onkyo 505 and 605 recievers if your on a budget. B&W speakers would be a good start. I'd rather see you skimp on the receiver at this point verses the speakers. Here are a few other speakers to consider:
    PSB, Wharfdale, Athena, Energy, Paradigm and NHT classic 2 or 3's which I really like. Also consider the infinity primus line if your really strapped. The 162's give nice sound and can usually be found for $99 each. Stereophile magazine gave them a very nice review. My daughter has last years model the 160's and they sound great for an inexpensive speaker but they certainly dont compare with some of the others i mentioned. Hope this helps some. The best advice though is buy what sounds good to you!
  • 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
    codecougar
    The Infinity Primus bookshelves as mentioned are very nice for the price (I use them for my surrounds). Or you could go with the Infinity Beta 20's for a little bit more. I use them for my fronts and am very impressed. $250 for a pair. Can't beat the price for the performance they deliver.

I would stay away from the Klipsch Quintet II or similar type of "mini/ micro" speakers. For the money, you can get a nice full sized set of bookshelf speakers with larger drivers that will sound much better. You could always go with small satellite speakers for the surrounds if space is an issue, but I would think that you could fit a pair of nice bookshelf speakers in your space.

For music, you will not need a center channel unless you set your receiver to some type of mode that takes advantage of a 5.1 set up. So, you can totally get away with running in 2 channel stereo and adding a sub woofer down the line.

I second the recommendation on an Onkyo. You don't need an expensive receiver for your needs. A Onkyo TX-SR505 for $270 is more than you need. You will be at around $520 for the receiver and speakers. You could even get a small subwoofer and be within your $800 budget and your system would kick a$$. Well, relatively speaking.

Just one last word on Infinitys. I have a full Infinity 5.1 set up and everyone who comes to my house is blown away with the sound quality. I am also pushing them with low end $200 Sony receiver. New, but low end. It's certainly not an audiophile grade system, but everyone who hears it is impressed, including myself.
  • 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
    blackraven
    Hey codecougar, its nice to see that some one else appreciates the infinity Beta's and primus. They have very nice sound for the price. I find the Beta's more pleasant sounding with a fuller sound compared to the primus which are a little more on the bright side.

For the money I really like the B&W 686's and i agree stay away from Klipsch
  • 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
    zepman1
    The advice given here already is right on the money from my experience. It is best to start with the main speakers, a decent receiver and a center channel, and add the surrounds later. Definitely get quality main speakers that are the best you can afford, or you will regret it later. Also, get tha matching center channel right away or it may be difficult to find an exact match if you wait too long.

Matching the surrounds is not important, IMO. My surrounds are not matched to my fronts and I do not notice at all. Ideally I would try matching the sound as much as possible (match tweeter material) but it is not critical. Take a look at Audiogon.com for some deals. I got my surround speakers there, Energy CR-100, for $100. They list for around $250 I think.

For main speakers, Wharfedale makes some nice speakers for the money, but there aren't a lot of distributors in the US that I am aware of, so it is hard to audition them. The brands mentioned already are a good starting point. Avoid the "micro" speakers at all costs for music.
  • 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
    Xilanxiv
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I've found a dealer nearby that sells B&W speakers, I'll likely go for a test listen and see what else they have and listen to those as well. I notice you guys mention the B&W 686, but I've also seen the 685. The 685 is simply a larger version yes? If I can afford would it be better to get the 685, or is the 686 close enough in sound that the difference in price is not worth it.

Oh, one other thing just for curiosity, I see numerous people saying no about Klipsch, is this specifically about their micro dpeakers, or is the sound quality not that high compared to some of these other?
  • 01-07-2008, 04:12 PM
    blackraven
    The 685's have a little deeper bass 49K vs 55K and little higher sensitivity. They would be worth a look. Klipsich are a very bright sounding speaker in general, they have their followers but I think most audiophiles and enthusiasts will agree there is much better out there.
  • 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
    f0rge
    if you can get into the 685's i'd go that route, you'll appreciate the extra woofer size if you cant afford a sub just yet.

other than that this thread is nothing but good advice, that onkyo looks looks solid and i'm sure it will make those 685's sing.

i'm betting you'd be real happy with that setup
  • 01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
    pixelthis
    One thing about b&W speakers, they have pretty decent bass, I dont even have a sub.
    And you probably dont need one either, I NEVER reccomend a sub for apartment dwellers, where they are more often referred to as "lease breakers".
    And a center is 80% of your soundfield in a movie situation, get a good one.
    And good advice on the rears, they arent as important.
    Sherwood makes a really cheap HT receiver for 139 bucks, wont be any frills and the
    sound wont be audiophile quality, but you're just starting out, it might be enough for now.
    Onkyo made a "package" with receiver and speakers, might check that out:1:
  • 01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
    Xilanxiv
    A question on dvd/cd players. I'm currently using a sony progressive scan $50 little thing. Nothing special at all, plays movies and cds. For playing regular cds, how big of a difference will I hear between this and getting a better cd players. I don't know if I'll need anything special for my current place, just wanting to learn more! Thanks again for the great advice so far, I can't wait to get a day off to go the the audio store.
  • 01-10-2008, 05:47 AM
    johnny p
    A "good" CD player will run you $300 or so, so with that said, I'd invest in a Blu-Ray DVD player instead if you have an HD t.v., otherwise, for all practical purposes, you're fine with what you have for now.
  • 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
    captjamo
    I vote for the B & W 685's. Best speakers for the money out there.
  • 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
    Gudzon
    I think the most reasonable way for you is to compare Home theater systems by professional/user reviews, features and prices.
    For example if you go through TestFreaks and compare HTS by score you'll see such results:
    http://www.testfreaks.com/home-theat...ms/?sort=score
    From this list I would recommend Sony DAV-HDX500 ($389) , anyway it's up to you
  • 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
    blackraven
    If your looking for a decent low cost CD player, check out the Oppo 980 HD DVD player for $169. It plays CD's, SACD and DVD's. It compares favorably to CDP's costing alot more. Plus it upscales video to 1080p. Its a perfect player for some one on a tight budget. Audio playback is excellent for the price.
    www.oppodigital.com