AR Newbie Registered Member

Help with connection question

I'm gonna pick up a TivoHD, and was hoping I could get some help with the cables I'll need.

Currently I have an HDTV with a receiver for sound. I have a digital fiber optic cable running from the TV to the Receiver. If I buy an HDMI cable and connect from Tivo to the TV, will the audio stream through the TV into the receiver? Or do I need to buy another digital fiber optic cable to hook from Tivo to the Receiver?

PS: I don't switch from the receiver. My system runs with video going to TV and audio going to receiver directly.

Quote Originally Posted by nmaynan
    If I buy an HDMI cable and connect from Tivo to the TV, will the audio stream through the TV into the receiver?
    I strongly doubt it. Generallly the only audio sent out the toslink cable from the TV is that from it's own built-in tuner. Even if it is one ofthose rare sets that may pass a signal. it may or may not be in a 5.1 format.

Quote Originally Posted by nmaynan
    Or do I need to buy another digital fiber optic cable to hook from Tivo to the Receiver?
    That's the guaranteed way to get all the sound you can.

You do realize that a digital coax passes audio just as good as fibre does, don't you?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I strongly doubt it. Generallly the only audio sent out the toslink cable from the TV is that from it's own built-in tuner. Even if it is one ofthose rare sets that may pass a signal. it may or may not be in a 5.1 format.

That's the guaranteed way to get all the sound you can.

You do realize that a digital coax passes audio just as good as fibre does, don't you?
    This was my experience, the only audio from the digital out (optical only) was from the tuner, rendering it , as we say around here, about as usless as "boobies" on a boar hog,
    since I dont use that tuner
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information