Forum Regular

Yahama RX-V2600 vs ebay prices?

I have a question for those of you familar with ebay.

How come retail audio stores sell the Yamaha RX-V2600 for $1299.00 across the board, but if you look at ebay, powersellers and on-line stores sell the same receiver (brand new) for around $850-900 plus shipping (around $60.00)? Thats a $300 difference. In addition, most of these ebay sellers and on-line stores have 99 or 100 percent feedback ratings with very good feedback. Are these hand me down receivers? Most of the listings specifically say they are not refurbished and are in fact brand new.

Just wondering how they get away with selling them for so cheap and if they are worth buying off ebay vs a retail audio store?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yamaha threatens to not honor warranty on items purchased outside "authorized dealer networks"...that means Ebay, dude.

They're quite likely fully functional, brand new overstock units. Often large electronics wholesalers buy huge bulk orders to take advantage of crappy outdated electronic manufacturer discount incentives. They keep the quantity they need, and sell the rest off to 3rd parties...these 3rd parties are the ebay stores you see (and others).

There's questions of legality in companies claiming they won't honor the warranty, but let's not get into that.

Lucky for you there's the HTR line from Yamaha...check out the HTR-5990 - this is pretty darn similar to the RX-V2600, and probably identical to the RX-V1600. Check out jandr.com.

I sold my RX-V1400 and upgraded to an HTR-5890 for $450 or something earlier this year, a bit less I think - JandR is an authorized internet dealer (there are others too you could check out). If you check with jandr, you're better off to phone for a price quote - they're more eager to give you a low price that way for some reason.

Or you could buy from ebay - but be warned - ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances!

Yamaha generally makes consistently reliable products. But, nobody's perfect and that $300-$400 price difference won't amount to much if something goes wrong and you find that none of Yamaha's service centers will accept the unit for repairs, even if you offer to pay for the service yourself. That leaves you at the mercy of the vendor's return policy, which in the case of eBay is not much. If nothing goes wrong, then you got a nice deal, but if something does go wrong then you're in for an ordeal.

An alternative would be to bargain with your local retailer. The RX-V1600 and 2600 have been out since last September and Yamaha's midlevel receivers are typically updated every year, so you should be able to negotiate some sort of discount right now. Or you can wait until the newer models are announced and wait for the closeout specials to start appearing. It's not unusual to see retailers closing out whatever inventory of the previous models they have left in stock for half off, so you can get the nice price plus all the protection of a factory warranty and retail store return policy. But, to get those bargains you need to be vigilant and move fast when you see them.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    When do the newer models come out? Does yamaha have a specific date or season?

Forum Regular
    I much rather like to barter with the sales guys. I've been very lucky and saved almost 33% off my B&W speakers. I didn't know this model was out that long, like 2 months ago I bought the last years model RS-V2500 for like $800 locally. Maybe I didn't get such a good deal... though it was Canadian $$ so...

Do your background on both the store and the product. As questions to things you already know about it and see if the sales rep actually knows what he's talking about. I've caught a few trying to pull on over on me and then I talk to a smarter guy or leave the store never to go back. Most local companies are more customer loyal and will treat you better then a big bulk-store where all you are is a money bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jc_ufl
    When do the newer models come out? Does yamaha have a specific date or season?
    The midlevel models are typically updated in September and October, while the entry level series typically gets updated in April. Their flagship models get updated less frequently. For example, the RX-Z1 is now almost 3 years old and Yamaha has yet to announce a replacement. How much Yamaha changes from year to year will vary depending on the degree to which the technology and formats are evolving at any given time.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

There is also the chance that the Yamaha products offered on eBay are either refurbished models or what they call "B" stock, which is great for those looking to save a few bucks, however, like everyone else mentioned....if something goes wrong...oh no. However, if you know someone who is good at fixing electronics than I would take the risk. You may want to see if there are any online authorized retailers for Yamaha as well, that might be your best bet.

Forum Regular

Just Go By Feedback Ratings Don't Overanalyze Things!

I've never been burned on Ebay buying any home theater/hifi/electronic gear, used or new by simply checking out the sellers feedback ratings, simple as that. If someone has little or no feedback, or a bunch of feedback all from the same person, I wouldn't risk buying anything over $25 from them, especially if they're out of the US. If someone on the other hand, has say 98% positive feedback & over 20 feedbacks from different people, I'd say they were very reliable.

I will buy used stuff if it's described as in very good condition or better & has no problems attributed to it. I've spent up to $500 on used stuff & haven't gotten burned yet. As a rule for used stuff, I need to have a significant savings of at least 35% off retail price to buy on Ebay or the equipment is hard to find, used or new. When I do buy on Ebay, I either use buy it now, or bid in the last 15 seconds, if there are already bids on there, as doing otherwise just bids up a product & accomplishes nothing else.

For new stuff, I need to have a significant savings to buy it on Ebay for the bother. What I consider a significant saving, is something like my Harmony Remote, which 2 years ago was selling for $225 at the cheapest prices in stores, $185 from online dealers, but only $125 on Ebay.

As to why people sell new stuff & why it's cheaper then in stores, I wouldn't overanalyze it- who cares.

Only Yamaha's HTR series receivers are authorized for online/mail order sales. Any RX-V series receivers offered for sale through an online vendor are not authorized. The equivalent for the RX-V1600 is the HTR-5990, while there is no HTR series equivalent for the RX-V2600.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Cheaper prices for name brand stuff on epay or mail order or 800 numbers from magazines sounds like the "grey" market that has existed for photo equipment for years. Often no warrenty is available from the manufacturer.

I purchased a Kenwood KR-6160 receiver in 1970 or so for several hundred dollars below dealer or list price from one those 47th street camera stores in NY city. It had a warrenty though. Epray is just an updated way to sell cheaper.

Charlie

Thread Information