AR Veteran

HDTV won't play HD content through HDMI cable

I have a 60" Philips Rear Projection CRT HDTV manufactured in June of 05. When trying to view downloaded Movies, trailers, etc from XBOB Live Market place, I recieve this error message, "secure HDCP link not found" via the HDMI port. I also get the same error message when trying to view standard DVDs through the disc drive. I don't have this problem when viewing DVDs through my Oppo upconvert DVD player on my TV via my HDMI port. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, did you have a fix?

Suspended
    It sounds like even though your TV isn't that old it may not be HDCP compliant. The HDMI inside the TV has to have a friendly handshake for the HDMI signal coming in, or they don't play well. Yours was not equipped with the friendly handshake. HDCP is High Definition Copy Protection. Your owners manual may address whether your TV is compliant.

I don't know what you mean by watching DVD through the disc drive, which disc drive?

Did you set your cable box to HDMI and 1080i or 720p? I'm not sure how the Oppo gets around copy protection but from your error message I'd bet that's the problem. Unfortunately there isn't a fix. You'll have to use your component inputs or buy a new TV.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    As usual, Mr. P. is on the right track, it's a "digital handshake" issue. I had the same problem with a Philips plasma. Not all HDMIs are created equal and my perception is that Philips lags behind the curve in modernity.

I couldn't find any solution so it was time to go TV shoppin'. Sorry.

AR Veteran

I'll probaly do the Ebay thing and buy another TV.

Alright, since I'll be buying a new set. Any suggestions? I know I won't be getting a 60" for a decent price, so I'll settle on a 50". If there is one out there that is HDCP compliant and is under a $1000.00?

Suspended
    I don't believe your cable box will upconvert video and the most that comes from cable so far is 1080i, there really is no reason why you couldn't use your component video inputs. Component is fully capable of delivering 1080i. You'll have to connect your audio via the analog input but this is a better solution than buying a new TV. If you went with an HD disc player then it might be worth buying new, they would output 1080p and will only upconvert standard discs via HDMI.

AR Veteran

I suspect my 360 automatically downconverts

When I hooked up the component cables to the 360, the picture looked pretty crappy.
    I'm suspecting the 360 either is automatically down converting the signal to 480i, or the TV just gives 480i via component. I'm thinking the latter of the two. Live and learn I say. NO MORE PHILIPS TVS FOR ME.

Suspended
    What is the 360? Is that your TV model number, you aren't going through a Xbox first are you? Can you tell me exactly how you are connecting everything. Just so I know where you are at, you know the difference between composite (red/white audio & one yellow for video) and component which is a 3 terminal video hook up and then 2 more for audio? There shouldn't be much, if any, difference between the component and HDMI as far as video quality. If you used composite then there would be a significant drop in quality.

AR Veteran
    Oh sorry, the 360 is the XBOX 360. XBOX Live gives you the option of downloading HD content directly to the hard drive, then watching it on your TV via the HDMI cable input to the set. Looks like they allow you to play video games and play the XBOX arcade feature, but when attempting to watch the downloaded content or even a standard DVD via the disc drive, thats when the error message occurs. So as it stands now, I have the XBOX 360 and also an Oppo upconvert DVD player (non HDCP compliant) hooked up to ports 1 and 2 of a Terk 3:1 HDMI splitter with the output of the splitter connected to the HDMI input to the set. The Oppo works fine due to it not being HDCP compliant. However, the Toshiba HD-A3 ( which is now returned) doesn't show video either going through the splitter or direct connected. Same for the XBOX 360. Only gameplay no video movies, trailers, etc. So the only conclusion I've come to is the TV isn't HDCP compliant.

Suspended
    It does sound like you may need a more modern TV or at least one HDCP compliant, you have some newer gear that is HDMI based. I also think you may be correct on your assumption the 360 down converted the video. If it has copy guard they aren't going to allow a HD picture via component either.

AR Veteran
    And we are talking about a TV thats not even 3 years old. Oh well, thats the last Philips I'll ever buy.

a side note to your 360 looking crappy through the components, did you switch the little switch on the cables themselves to "HDTV"? if not that could be your problem, with it switched it should look much better.

you could alternatively get the VGA adapter if your TV supports that type of connection, it should be close to the quality of the HDMI.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by robotec
    And we are talking about a TV thats not even 3 years old. Oh well, thats the last Philips I'll ever buy.

Its not just you're TV.
    In the last three years the industry has gone from componet (analog) to DVI, then
    hdmi 1.1, then hdmi 1.3.
    Its a wonder anything works wiith anything.
    The oppo is computer based optical drive, gives you a wider range of formats, and one reason for its popularity is no hdcp.
    HDMI is great, but its their ball and bat and you're going to have to play by their rules,
    but at least with robust copy protection maybe the paranoid studios (who are more scared of a nonexistent threat , the home consumer, than the real threat of Asian
    bootlegging) will put out more titles
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information